Comps dies after Gentoo Install *sorta off topic*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Comps dies after Gentoo Install *sorta off topic* Reply with quote

Well, this may be a bit off topic, however, this is my problem. I turned off my computer the night I installed gentoo. (Friday, Dec 12th) The next day, it wouldn't boot. The fans (HS and chassis fans) turned on, the HDs whirled to life, and yet my computer didn't display anything on the screen nor gave me a beep. I am here to ask those of you who have possibly experienced this before, as since this is the first time any of my computers have done this. I've had quite a few in the last 16yrs. I've experienced a problem similiar to this when I was building my sister's system, where I hadn't seated her XP properly. (Thanks to MSI's D-Link LED panel) However, I haven't touched the CPU in this system for nearly 8 months since apply Artic Silver III to her. Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.

*note: this system is custom built my me. :) *
Computer Stats:
ABit KX7-333 Mainboard
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ (AX2100DMT3C - Polamino core)
TT Volcano 8 Compact Edition HeatSink & Fan.
1GiB (2 x 512MiB) Generic PC2700 DDR RAM
2 x 60GiB Harddrives (Maxtor/Seagate mix)
ATI Radeon 9000 w/64MiB RAM.
GateWay VX700 Monitor ( left over monitor =P )

Thanks,
KP
at_chaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

you turned you pc off during compiling the gentoo system? (why did you do that? ;) )

ok this does not matter i think because you said there is no "beep". I've set up and repaired a lot of my friends pc's and often the RAM where dead or did not run properly.
So I would suggest that you try to remove one RAM and try to start (see you motherboard manual where the proper DIMM slot is). (MAKE SURE TO PLUG YOUR POWER SUPPLY OFF!)

You can also retry to reset you bios but this is not needed if you didn't play with it.

Sometimes also plugging the power supply off / on helped. It's very difficult to say because there are many factors which can cause no "beep".

so far,

andy
kevinp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at_chaos wrote:
hello,

you turned you pc off during compiling the gentoo system? (why did you do that? ;) )

Andy, thanks for replying. To answer your question, I didn't turn it off during compling of gentoo. At least I would never do it intentionally. After gentoo had finished compiling and I had logged in under my account in gentoo to start emerging some much needed utils (namely, XMMS. I can't work w/o music. hehe.), I decided that I would turn it off for the night and let her cool. She was on for over 20+ hrs compiling and the sort. I'll try the RAM like you suggested. If that's the culprit, I'll be ***VERY*** happy. :)

*EDIT 3:53p PST*
I tried the memory, but it's still a no-go. *sigh* My baby just isn't working with me here. :?

thanks again,
KP
kevinp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Up In Smoke Reply with quote

*sigh* Looks like I got a dead board. Thanks for all your help. Looks like I get to upgrade to my nForce2 board. ^_^
shiftless
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i have had this happen a couple times. Try taking all the cards out, the ram, the battery, and discharge the cmos. Then try putting one thing in at a time and booting. If something is causing problems then you will know when you put it in. If it all works after putting it in, then something might have come loose, from eithor vibration or maybe bumping/jarring the case.
kevinp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiftless wrote:
Personally i have had this happen a couple times. Try taking all the cards out, the ram, the battery, and discharge the cmos. Then try putting one thing in at a time and booting. If something is causing problems then you will know when you put it in. If it all works after putting it in, then something might have come loose, from eithor vibration or maybe bumping/jarring the case.

Well, I had noticed one thing earlier today. My chipset fan wasn't running anymore. I borrowed my sister's system that I built for her earlier this year to see if the ram and cpu were OK. They were fine. (I just found out she has a 2600 T-Bred cpu :evil: damn her!! lol ) Oh well. I worked her hard for the year I had her. She's only been off for a total of 6 days since I bought her. I never let that machine rest.

KP
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: