stage1 install for gentoo n00b =p
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
borior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: stage1 install for gentoo n00b =p Reply with quote

For a stage1 install ... i am assuming the whole point about bootstrapping the whole system from source is that the stage1 tarball that i download is for an architecture like x86, ppc etc etc ... but not more refined that that (ie i686, athlon-xp) ... so what i should be downloading if i have an athlon-xp and want to do a stage1 install is (from the root of any given mirror):

Code:
/releases/x86/1.4/stages/x86/stage1-x86-20030910.tar.bz2

more to the point ... what will this untar to ... an iso?
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This untar's to the basic set of files and direcories that one would need to compile the basic set of tools needed to compile everything else. It compiles things like glibc, binutils and a few other things. After running the bootstrap.sh script (which does the afore mentioned compile), you run "emerge system" which downloads and compiles everything else you need to get started. From there you can install whatever else it is you need and want (like a logger, cron, X, etc, etc).

--J
Esben
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tar -t gives a list, but in short: Stage 1 includes the utilities (bash, mount, wget, emerge, ebuild, gcc, glibc et al) needed to download & compile those same utilities. The binaries are compiled to run on all x86 platforms supported; the ones you get to compile will be optimized with whatever flags you'll be setting in make.conf. In other words. if you read make.conf and make changes as instructed, everything will be compiled & optimized for your Athlon-xp.

And no, it is not an iso. The ISO is a CD-ROM image, used for burning a CD, e.g. the Gentoo-1.4 installation CD.

Happy compiling! :-)
borior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so by that you mean that to do a new install on a new comp that has never had any other os on it i would do a raw burn of the files from the tarball and .... but is that gonna be bootable ... surely not ... ok:

i want to do a stage1 install on a brand new comp ... can i do this without downloading a 300 something meg livecd?
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: stage1 install for gentoo n00b =p Reply with quote

borior wrote:
For a stage1 install ... i am assuming the whole point about bootstrapping the whole system from source is that the stage1 tarball that i download is for an architecture like x86, ppc etc etc ... but not more refined that that (ie i686, athlon-xp) ... so what i should be downloading if i have an athlon-xp and want to do a stage1 install is (from the root of any given mirror):
Code:
/releases/x86/1.4/stages/x86/stage1-x86-20030910.tar.bz2

more to the point ... what will this untar to ... an iso?

That is the stage1 tarball for x86, including your athlon-xp. Just the one you are looking for :D

It will untar to an environment prepared for bootstrapping. You can boot from your current RedHat installation and do the install from there. Use the new Installation Handbook for instructions on that. Or you could get one of the LiveCDs or ,as I prefer, knoppix (www.knoppix.org) which has great hardware support. I think you should go with the current install, as you can use the computer for normal surfing and such, like browsing this forum for help :wink: (That applies to knoppix as well, but you won't have your nice settings there)

Remember to edit the new /etc/make.conf and change the CFLAGS to the ones appropriate for athlon-xp (check out cflags central thread for more info on them). There are quite good ones for athlon-xp commented out in the file in the stage1 tarball.

Btw, I wrote all this as a reply to your post in the other topic, but when I finally got it posted, the post i replied to was gone :oops:
borior
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oopsh ... :oops: :? i'm sorry .... anyways ... still doesn't answer my second q quite
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borior wrote:
so by that you mean that to do a new install on a new comp that has never had any other os on it i would do a raw burn of the files from the tarball and .... but is that gonna be bootable ... surely not ... ok:

i want to do a stage1 install on a brand new comp ... can i do this without downloading a 300 something meg livecd?

There is the basic livecd which is about 100MB. It is found at (mirror)/releases/x86/1.4/livecd/basic/x86-basic-1.4-20030911.iso

I think I saw something here about a minimal livecd, but I don't seem to find it right now. You could probably install from a linux-on-floppy distro if you would like to. Just make sure it can read the CD and support your hardware (if you have SATA, for example)
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/releases/x86/1.4/livecd/basic/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: