Problems with the emerge-command
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koeli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Problems with the emerge-command Reply with quote

I'd like to set up gentoo linux on my home pc. Therefore I downloaded it from www.gentoo.org, and the installation guide too.
I followed the instructions written there, but got to an end caused by errors very early.

I was able to get to point 9, unpacking the stage tarball. I unpacked the Stage Tarball1.
But then, I was not able to "get the current portage tree using sync".
When I typed in "emerge sync", there came a answer like "make.config not found"(although it was in the right directory).
The two "export"-commands worked.
But the command "emerge portage" didn't work too. And even my pc didn't download 90Mb.

Well, stupid question: does the emerge-command need access to the internet?

I have no idea, what could be wrong, as I am nearly a beginner (but I wanna learn it...) :D

I hope and pray for help
Yours Andi
Dracnor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting these errors after you chrooted into your new environment - i.e. did you execute the command chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash yet?

Was the unpacking of the stage 1 tarball successful, and did you verify the file integrity with md5sum?

emerge sync needs to sync with a portage server mirror, so yes it needs to get on the internet. If, when you type emerge your_package, and you have the source with all of its dependencies in /usr/portage/distfiles, it will not need to fetch anything from the internet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: