View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fredgt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Xorg typing characters signs with a qwerty keyboard Reply with quote

I have some questions. I have a qwerty keyboard but as i am belgian i need to be able to type some special characters that at this time i can't type (i think).

Characters i realy need are
- Euro sign.
- Special signs above a character (don't know what its called in English).

How do i get them working in Xorg?
If they work, how do i type them.

For information i use kde, so it might be possible to do this with the kde keyboard layout settings.

Last edited by fredgt on Sun May 29, 2005 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a non-trivial question.

First, you need to set the convenient keymap into /etc/rc.conf. I know nothing about belgium keyboards. But the keymaps are all here: /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/

I dont know which of that files may be the one you are looking for, try to figure out.

Then to figure out the character in each key you may need some picture of a belgium keyboard, or better a real one, if you can borrow one.

Oh! That's called and accent, if we are talking about the same thing. I'm spanish, so I use also a modified keymap. With accents and the euro symbol. Most time the € (<-This is euro, in case it does not display correctly) is obtained by pressing Alt+E. If not you could maybe take a picture from the net or anything, to figure out where is each char in that keyboard.

Some of the character you may need (examples with vowel 'a' in case they display fine): à, á, â, ä...
ecthalion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

First you must have configured your xorg.conf section keyboard, here is mine, I use slovak querty keyboard, and us keyboard :

Code:

Option "XkbModel" "pc(pc102)"
        Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option "XkbLayout" "us,sk_qwerty"
        Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
        Option "XkbCompat" "basic+pc+iso9995"

alt + shift 'll change the keyborad layout, I don't know how is it in KDE, there may by some nice tools to do it , but I use fluxbox, and this keys to change the layout

then you need to change the LC_ALL, and LANG variable, and if you want to use it only in open office , like i do , create a file like this :
Code:

#!/bin/bash

export LANG="sk_SK.utf8"
export LC_ALL="sk_SK.utf8"
ooffice &

then make it executable, and enjoy writing in oofice ....

If you want to use it in terminal, you must use unicode-able terminal, (like xterm), and utf 8 compilant programs , and have them compiled with unicode support.

You can use
Code:
locale

to determine what locales you are using (i don't know what belgian's use).

Code:

locale -a

will show you all avaliable locales on your system.

You may find lot of help on this topic at Gentoo Desktop Documentation Resources, section using utf-8 or something similar.

Bye
fredgt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved the problem (partially) by using the us_intl layout. It's not the most easy layout when you're using a lot of ' and " characters so i will only switch to the intl layout when i need to.

I can type al the needed characters on my desktop but i have a problem with my laptop. It doesn't have a AltGr key. In windows i can use Ctrl+Alt as AltGr but this doesn't in linux. Is there a way i can fix this?
fredgt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information : In Belgium we normally use a AZERTY keyboard but in most ICT-related companies and school a QWERTY layout is used. This is also the reason i am using a QWERTY layout and not a AZERTY. So i need these special characters that are not standard on a QWERTY keyboard.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredgt wrote:
Just for information : In Belgium we normally use a AZERTY keyboard but in most ICT-related companies and school a QWERTY layout is used. This is also the reason i am using a QWERTY layout and not a AZERTY. So i need these special characters that are not standard on a QWERTY keyboard.

The special characters are not a azwerty thing. It just depends on the keyboard that you buy. I use qwerty and I do have all that characters printed on my keyboard. It's just one of the many wrong things that have the "standard" english layout.

Again, if someone can see it: "â ä à á Á €" And overall: "ññññññññññññññ!"
fredgt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know but as i always want to use the same QWERTY layout and it is not always that easy to find that the same layout, I always buy en_US qwerty keyboards as these are the easiest to find especially for laptops.

I have solved the problem with the AltGr. After looking into "KDE Keyboard Tool" (aka. kxkb) i've found an option that makes Alt+Ctrl act as a AltGr , Its somewhere in the "Xkb Options" tab.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: