Fsck always complains about boot partition
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burningserenity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Fsck always complains about boot partition Reply with quote

Every time I boot, I get a message saying the boot partition was not unmounted properly, is different from its backup, and that the dirty bit is set.
This started happening after I started using a script to turn on and off my NVIDIA GPU. The script modifies one call in my .xinitrc, enables and disables the xorg NVIDIA conf, and enables and disables some udev rules that effectively blacklist my GPU when active.

The xorg conf I'm using is this: https://dpaste.com/6MESG9VM5

The udev rules are this: https://dpaste.com/EW2B77J9J

It also may be worth mentioning that when I boot, OpenRC says that the nvidia module failed to load, yet when boot is over I run `lsmod | grep nvidia` and it shows me the modules.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningserenity,

That's two problems.

Your /boot is normally only mounted when you want to update it. At boot time, its not mounted in the kernel sense of mounted. The kernel is not loaded.
Boot loaders all make their own arrangements to read the files they need to be able to boot.

This next process can leave you unable to boot, depending on what is wrong with your boot.
Mount /boot read only. You don't want any accidental changes.
Make a copy of boot. We don't know that this will be a good copy but there is nothing there that cannot be replaced, except perhaps some old kernel.

Unmount boot.
Run fsck on /boot. If fsck guesses right, all will be well. You won't know until you reboot.

If booting fails, boot your live media and restore your copy an that's easier that recreating boot.
Reboot to test.

If that boot fails, recreate boot from scratch. Its all either automatically generated or elsewhere in your root filesystem.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
burningserenity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipped right to your last solution of redoing /boot altogether. It's no longer giving me that error, thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: