Problem with my NIC on gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sepiriz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Problem with my NIC on gentoo install Reply with quote

I'm trying to install gentoo 1.4 on my IBM Thinkpad 390E. The machine has no internal NIC, so I'm using a Realtek Rtl8139 related PCMCIA card. The liveCD environment will not auto detect it, and any attempts to load the 8139too module fail. Using the dopcmcia boot option, i get pcmcia_core , ds, and i82365 loading. then load mii (as i saw in other posts). At this point i've tried loading the 8139too module both with modprobe and insmod. Both return :

"PCI: No irq known for interupt pin a of device, Pls try using pci=biosirq
8139too: : region #1 is not an MMIO resource, aborting
/lib/modules2.4.21-gss/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o: init_module no such device
/lib/modules2.4.21-gss/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o:
/lib/modules2.4.21-gss/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o: insmod /lib/modules2.4.21-gss/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o failed"

I looked at this forum and found someone saying to specify the irq using modprobe pci= irq. The card is on irq 11, so i tried "modprobe pci=11", but it tells me that : "modprobe: insmod pci=11 failed".

When i do "cardctl ident", it returns :
"Socket 0:
no product info available
Socket 1:
product info: "Realtek", "Rtl8139"
manfid: 0x0000, 0x024c
function: 6 (network)
PCI id: 0x8139"

So it looks like my card is detected, but that i just cant load the 8139too module.

So i tried booting (always on live-CD) with different options (noapic, apci=off, pci=biosirq ...), but its always the same result.

This card works fine in Mandrake 9, so i know its not the card.

If anyone can help me get past this problem i'd really appricate it.

Thanks

Sepiriz

PS: Sorry for copying parts of other posts, but didn't want to write all this error messages... ;)
rjp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying to specify the IRQ, it's not clear. Did you use "modprobe 8139too pci=11", or "modprobe pci=11"? It should be the former.
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the time and badwidth, download [url=http://www.knoppix.org]Knoppix[code] and install from there. It has great hardware support :)
sepiriz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried both : "modprobe pci=11" and "modprobe 8139too pci=11" and none worked.

What is Knoppix for ?
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepiriz wrote:

What is Knoppix for ?

It's a whole working distribution on a liveCD. You insert it, boot, and then you get a working system with kde, openoffice, mozilla and more. I just use it to install Gentoo though :wink:

But as I said, the main reason I recommend it here is because it has great hardware support. It is 700 MB though. If you have bandwidth to get it in a couple of hours, I recommend doing so. It makes the Gentoo install much more endurable (like browse here for help while installing)
sepiriz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of bandwidth so i downloaded and burned Knoppix.
But now, how do i install my gentoo for booting on Knoppix LiveCd ?
And after having installed my gentoo, will i still have my NIC problem ?
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You boot into knoppix, start an xterm (I think it is in KDE > System > Terminal).

You are sure the network works now?? Do lsmod to see what module you should get. And try ping www.gentoo.org just to be sure it is working.

Now follow the installation instructions from after the boot part through the partitioning. After that, try to unmount the knoppix cd and then change to the gentoo one to copy over the stage tarball. I'm not sure this will work. If it doesn't, you could get the latest stage tarball by wget (see install docs), or reboot to the gentoo livecd, copy the tarball from it to the hdd, then reboot again into knoppix. I would recommend downloading the tarball, as it is only 11MB and it is probably faster for you than rebooting twice.

Then continue with the installation instructions, and remember the name of the module you should get. When you get to the kernel config, preferably do a make menuconfig if you think you know enough, otherwise try genkernel --config. Make sure your network card is checked as module (M) or compiled into kernel (*). And when I installed from knoppix, I had to set root password after rebooting.

When done, cross fingers and reboot
sepiriz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still havn't tried installing from Knoppix (BTW it is pretty nice), but i was wondering as the PCMCIA module loaded by Mandrake or Knoppix for my NIC is yenta_socket, if there was a way to not use i82365 but yenta_socket with my gentoo... ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: