Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neurosis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torh wrote:
neurosis wrote:

I've been using genkernel to compile 2.6 for a couple months now, haven't encountered any problems..

Looks like I have belived in the wrong things then... thank you for this enlightenment ;-)
Q: Did you use the regular 1.4 livecd, or a new experimental with 2.6 kernel?

I've been using sys-kernel/mm-sources.

I was initially running gentoo-sources (2.4) from a standard stage 1 install from the Gentoo 1.4 release.

To upgrade, I emerged mm-sources (2.6) & module-init-tools, ran genkernel --config, and went to town. I'm pretty impressed with genkernel, (not that it was THAT difficult before), but it mounts /boot automatically and copies everything over. Leaves less of a chance for me to screw up. :wink:

-unknown
rhat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:!:

Hi everyone,
I've got a big problem: I just finished installing a 2.6-gentoo system on my box, using LVM to control the memory (as in, it contains /usr /home /tmp /var /opt swap) and I made a mistake (or maybe a couple mistakes).

First Issue:
My box fails to find all of the directories which I have stored using LVM. I'm thinking that the most likely cause is that it never started LVM in the first place. The page for LVM says that the following commands need to be run:
Code:
 The startup of LVM requires just the following two commands:

# vgscan
# vgchange -ay

And the shutdown only one:

# vgchange -an

I have a (more-or-less) vanilla system; I have not added anything to my setup that was not discussed in the install-guide, so I'm willing to bet that I should have included these in some script somewhere.

So how do I get these run at startup? Is there some magical file that I just need to add these to, and, more importantly, how do I do this when my system is lobotomised from not being able to find half its brain (ie, how do I do this without access to the LVM partitions)?

Second Issue:
When trying to manually fix the above problem by saying '/sbin/vgscan' my terminal spits out:
Code:
modprobe: FATAL: Module char_major_109_0 not found.

vgscan -- LVM driver/module not loaded?

I'm willing to bet that fixing the first problem will fix my second one, but this also sounds like I forgot to include one of the LVM-bits in the kernel's config. Does anyone know what I need in the kernel to make LVM work?

Thanks!
You never really respect how well made computer hardware is, untill you find out that you've had a sunflower-seed jammed into the same bus as your video card for the last few months, and you didn't notice.
-rhat, true story
frank47
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhat wrote:
:!:
Second Issue:
When trying to manually fix the above problem by saying '/sbin/vgscan' my terminal spits out:
Code:
modprobe: FATAL: Module char_major_109_0 not found.

vgscan -- LVM driver/module not loaded?

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Did you (or anybody else) find an answer. I'm pretty sure I compiled lvm-support into the kernel as a module (dm-mod), which I loaded. Is there any other module I have to load? I'm pretty much confused.

TIA
Frank
frank47
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I know my fault. Here is what you have to do to get LVM running on a fresh 2.6 install (just in case you didn't know already :wink: ):

Just do (nearly) everything as described in the installation manual. If you use genkernel, you have to use the --config option (At least I had to do so). Check that all the LVM options are marked.
If you use LVM as a module add the line
Code:
dm-mod
to your /etc/modules/autoload.d/kernel-2.6.
Don't install "lvm-user" as described in the installation manual, but do install "lvm2".
After the first bootup, hack in
Code:
/sbin/vgscan
and
Code:
/sbin/vgchange -ay

Now reboot and enjoy gentoo, the next generation kernel and LVM.

Hope someone finds this useful.
Frank
zombie90
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank47> Further to your useful instructions above, I have found that LVM only works for me with dm-mod compiled as a module. When this was built into the kernel directly, I was unable to bring up the LVM as the kernel support somehow wasn't present. *shrugs*

For info, I compiled my kernel manually using "# make menuconfig" rather than using genkernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: