Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
two USB DVB-T receivers: what to do with them?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: two USB DVB-T receivers: what to do with them? Reply with quote

Couple of years ago DVB-T transmissions stopped here in Belgium. I have 2 such USB DVB-T receivers around. A "Cinergy USB XE" and a "Pinnacle72e 1100". I know that at least one of them can work with Gentoo as I had it running. But I didn't took the trouble getting it set up again during the last install as there are no transmissions anymore.

But could they be used for something else?
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some DVB tuners can be used for software defined radio, for example with the rtl-sdr project (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/), it depends on the chipset used. I did a few quick searches and didn't find anything but it might be worth the efort to search a bit further.

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: two USB DVB-T receivers: what to do with them? Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Couple of years ago DVB-T transmissions stopped here in Belgium. ...?

What? No broadcast TV? Or have they moved to an incompatible standard. AFAIK they DVB-T still works in the UK, except you won't get HD channels, which is only about 8 of 100, and they have SD equivalents.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole Europe has gone 100% digital by now. Here in Poland I've seen some announcements of an incoming new standard, so the old digital tuners will probably stop working too.
I suppose "couple of years old" TV cards date back to analogue era, so you could try to recover a tiny bit of gold from the chips if you felt like exposing yourself to dangerous chemicals and losing money in the process.

Oh, alternatively you could couple them with a VHS recorder, those things were capable of sending their signal to the TV over coax too. Surprisingly, roughly 30 years later, many of those tapes are still readable, so archive your ancient movies before they completely rot.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh wrote:
Some DVB tuners can be used for software defined radio, for example with the rtl-sdr project (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/), it depends on the chipset used. I did a few quick searches and didn't find anything but it might be worth the efort to search a bit further.

I'll take a look there, thank.

Goverp wrote:
What? No broadcast TV? Or have they moved to an incompatible standard. AFAIK they DVB-T still works in the UK, except you won't get HD channels, which is only about 8 of 100, and they have SD equivalents.

The free DVB-T transmissions of the public broadcaster stopped because they assumed so large a percentage of the population had good internet connection they should take a TV subscription with their internet provider. Almost all internet providers here also offer tv through their connection. So the public DVB-T broadcast stopped. There is a commercial group that took them over but you can only decode with one of their decoders.
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in The Netherlands DVB-T has been replaced by DVB-T2 which is incompatible with DVB-T but also a standard :), DVB-T2 allows HD channels. On cable it's DVB-C only.
For radio AM/FM are still in use in the ether next to DAB(+), on cable it's DAB only.

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
oRDeX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh wrote:
Here in The Netherlands DVB-T has been replaced by DVB-T2 which is incompatible with DVB-T but also a standard :), DVB-T2 allows HD channels.

Same in Italy actually. We are in some intermediate phase now (where MPEG-4 is replacing MPEG-2 + some other frequency changes) and from Jan 2023 every channel will be free to switch to DVB-T2.
Yes, everybody had to change their TV/decoder, unless the device was recent enough (i.e. 2018/2019 on)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, everybody had to change their TV/decoder, unless the device was recent enough (i.e. 2018/2019 on)

Well... Or just finally throw the TV into garbage where it belongs.
Many many years ago it had some sort of a "public mission", with programs dedicated to technology, science, DIY, etc no top of news and comedy, and then educational content, comedy and news went out the window as they were replaced by bad reality shows, bad music videos, and bad political propaganda.
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i miss it everyday here in Europe 8O

my Elgato EyeTV diversity chilling in my drawer - it never failed - it was really fun to watch movies and skip all the awfull commercials.

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: