Questions on Installation guide
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breathe nitrox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Questions on Installation guide Reply with quote

I ran into some trouble with my first couple of tries at doing an install, and have some questions. The guide is some pretty awsome documentaion but there are a few points I'm a little confused on.

Given that I want to partition my drive as such
Code:
Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1 *        1        14    105808+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2         15        81    506520   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3         82      3876  28690200   83  Linux

Does the statement in Chapt 4.j.mounting - "Don't forget to create the necessary mount directories:" mean that I only need the comands in code lines 43,44, and 45 or does it mean I also need to create directories such as
Code:
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/home
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/var

I only want 3 partitions on my disk, boot, swap, and root. Do I need to create these other directoies, or am I confusing the meaning of ' create the necessary mount directories'.

Chapter 5.d configuring the compile options has me confused. If my only object is to get a stable linux environment up and running do I need to do any of this, or is it only for an optimized system? In other words if I skip this step does the compiler just use some default options.

In chapter 6 given the command in code listing 4
Code:
cdimage gentoo # chroot  /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

I would have thought 'cd image' would no longer precede the prompt, after all I am switching enviorments, correct? But afer I execute this command I'm still left with 'cd image' before my prompt.

Chapt 9 code listing 5, assuming I did not use genkernel. Do I code line 6

Code:
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda3

exaclty as shown or should the kernel be
Code:
kernel-2.4.22-bzImage

and if if not using genkerel I drop this line
Code:
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r2

I know this was a long post, but I failed four times already, I just want to clear somethings up before I try again.

Thanks in advance
Dillinger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you don't need to make directories like /mnt/gentoo/usr, only for the directories you made seperate partitions for. I think cd image is the user that the live cd logs in with. It should just be /bzImage. You wouldn't need the initrd in that way if you're not using genkernel.
registered Linux user #338885
www.easylinuxguide.com
www.linuxforums.org
porter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to create /mnt/gentoo/boot and /mnt/gentoo. Following you have to mount your boot-partition to /mnt/gentoo/boot and your root- partition to /mnt/gentoo
potsdamlemur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Given that I want to partition my drive as such
Code:

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1 *        1        14    105808+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2         15        81    506520   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3         82      3876  28690200   83  Linux

Does the statement in Chapt 4.j.mounting - "Don't forget to create the necessary mount directories:" mean that I only need the comands in code lines 43,44, and 45 or does it mean I also need to create directories

With the partitioning you list, you only need the commands in the lines you mention, to create /mnt/gentoo, /mnt/gentoo/boot, and /mnt/gentoo/proc. The other directories (such as /mnt/gentoo/usr) will be created within /mnt/gentoo when you untar the stage tarball as directed in chapter 5.

If you had a different partitioning scheme, say you had /dev/hda4 meant to hold the eventual /usr directory, you would need to do the following.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr
mount  /dev/hda4  /mnt/gentoo/usr

Then, when you untar the stage tarball, it will untar the archived /usr onto /dev/hda4. If you hadn't done the code above, it would create and fill /usr under /mnt/gentoo/, that is, on /dev/hda3.

Quote:
Chapter 5.d configuring the compile options has me confused. If my only object is to get a stable linux environment up and running do I need to do any of this, or is it only for an optimized system? In other words if I skip this step does the compiler just use some default options.

Don't skip this step!! If you don't adjust the settings you might get lucky and compile code which runs on your hardware, but I wouldn't bet on it. The two things you must set correctly are the CHOST and CFLAGS variable. CHOST is easy; just look at the table in the handbook.

CFLAGS requires a little more thought. You need to decide if you'll compile for your specific architecture (and break compatibility with other archs within the same family), or compile for a family of architectures (with a little less optimization for your particular arch). If you want the former then use "march=..." in the CFLAGS; if the latter then use "mcpu=...". This is explained in more detail right in the /etc/make.conf file.

The optimizations mentioned (-O2, -pipe, -fomit-frame-pointer) are not necessary but are pretty safe. They're pretty much the standard and should get you a stable system (and for some kinds of programs, the "lower" -O2 optimization level produces faster code than the "higher" -O3 --- check out https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=67163&highlight=compiler+optimizations).

Quote:

In chapter 6 given the command in code listing 4
Code:

cdimage gentoo # chroot  /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

I would have thought 'cd image' would no longer precede the prompt, after all I am switching enviorments, correct? But afer I execute this command I'm still left with 'cd image' before my prompt.

The prompt doesn't automatically "follow" the chrooted environment. I agree that some indication you're in the chroot would be nice. It would have to be set up to do this in the bash configuration. Any bash wizards out there who could file a patch on bugs.gentoo?

Quote:
Chapt 9 code listing 5, assuming I did not use genkernel. Do I code line 6
Code:

kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda3

exaclty as shown or should the kernel be
Code:

kernel-2.4.22-bzImage

and if if not using genkerel I drop this line
Code:

initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.4.22-gentoo-r2

If you do not use genkernel you would use whatever name you gave the kernel when you copied it into /boot (in code listing 24).
As that listing implies, manual compilation yields a file `bzImage' (found in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot). Listing 24 has you change the name during the copy, to reflect the kernel version. If you do use genkernel, you can just look in /boot to see what the kernel and initrd files are named. Use these names in grub.conf.

"initrd" stands for "initial root disk" or "initial ram disk". It does initial hardware detection. You can create an initrd by hand. I believe there's a thread on this in the forums (IIRC, the big one on using a frame buffer). I don't have the experience to advise on this. I just use genkernel. If you don't manually create an initrd then take the line out of grub.conf.

HTH!
breathe nitrox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all, this certianly cleared up my questions. I'll give it another go in a few days.
potsdamlemur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can create an initrd by hand. I believe there's a thread on this in the forums (IIRC, the big one on using a frame buffer). I don't have the experience to advise on this. I just use genkernel. If you don't manually create an initrd then take the line out of grub.conf.

I wasn't entirely clear. What I meant to say was, if you compile and install the kernel by hand, you can create an initrd by following the procedure documented elsewhere. If you don't create an initrd, then take the line out of grub.conf (or better, just comment it out).

If you use genkernel it will create an initrd for you and put it beside the new kernel in /boot. You still have the option of using it or not. If you want to use it, change the grub.conf line to whatever name it has (something like initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r9). If you don't want to use it, just comment out or delete the line from grub.conf. Might as well use it though, unless you have problems that you can trace to it.

Good luck ... let us know how it goes!
maomao0407
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read guide more carefully
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: