Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to stop display manager when booting?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzuriel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: How to stop display manager when booting? Reply with quote

I just updated my kernel to 6.0.3, then I ran an 'emerge -uDN @world`, then ran `etc-update`, and rebooted.

Now when I boot, there's some GUI that appears that I haven't identified. I've always manually run startx when my machine boots. But now there's a strange DM and I haven't found how to stop it. I don't see anything under /etc/runlevels that would start it. My .xinitrc in my home dir is set to run fluxbox, but what's starting is not that.

Thoughts?
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the command "rc-status" say ?
Oops, I assumed you have openrc as your init system. If you use systemd, find the equivalent command :? ...

(Use CTL-ALT-F1 or CTL-ALT-F2 to get to a text console if necessary; log in and run rc-status.)
Tzuriel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran rc-service and saw display-manager under Dynamic Runlevel: needed/wanted. Not sure what that means. So I ran rc-update del display-manager but am not sure it's gone for good.

The following is what I now have.

Code:

Runlevel: default
 ip6tables                                                         [  started  ]
 iptables                                                          [  started  ]
 netmount                                                          [  started  ]
 bumblebee                                                         [  stopped  ]
 chronyd                                                           [  started  ]
 sysklogd                                                          [  started  ]
 ntp-client                                                        [  stopped  ]
 sshd                                                              [  started  ]
 local                                                             [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
Dynamic Runlevel: needed/wanted
 display-manager-setup                                             [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: manual
 dhcpcd                                                            [  started  ]
 net.wlp0s20f3                                                     [  started  ]

I question the 'display-manager-setup' still under Dynamic Runlevel: needed/wanted. Also, I saw /etc/conf.d/display-manager had the DISPLAYMANAGER var set to xdm.
I tried to remove display-manager-init but it kept saying "is not in the runlevel sysinit, boot or default.
Is there anything more I should do?
Tzuriel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently that worked. However, after booting, then I can run startx and get into fluxbox ... if I type rc-status again, it shows display-manager is there again, only crashed. I suspect it crashed because I changed it from xdm to sddm in the /etc/conf.d/display-manager file. But this still doesn't bode well.

Code:

Runlevel: default
 ip6tables                                                         [  started  ]
 iptables                                                          [  started  ]
 netmount                                                          [  started  ]
 bumblebee                                                         [  started  ]
 chronyd                                                           [  started  ]
 sysklogd                                                          [  started  ]
 ntp-client                                                        [  stopped  ]
 sshd                                                              [  started  ]
 local                                                             [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
Dynamic Runlevel: needed/wanted
 display-manager-setup                                             [  started  ]
 display-manager                                                   [  crashed  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: manual
 dhcpcd                                                            [  started  ]
 net.wlp0s20f3     

Thoughts?
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzuriel wrote:
I ran rc-update del display-manager but am not sure it's gone for good.
That ensures it won't start at the next reboot. To also stop it immediately,
Code:
# rc-service display-manager stop
But you already rebooted, so that detail is moot.

Tzuriel wrote:
Well, apparently that worked. However, after booting, then I can run startx and get into fluxbox ... if I type rc-status again, it shows display-manager is there again, only crashed.
I don't know why it crashed, but I wonder why it started under "needed/wanted" in the first place. Try this:
Code:
$ cd /etc/runlevels/default
$ grep display-manager *
Look for "need" lines. For example, on my machine, rc-status shows avahi-daemon running under needed/wanted. The command
Code:
$ cd /etc/runlevels/default
$ grep avahi-daemon *
cupsd:   need avahi-daemon dbus
distccd:   use avahi-daemon ypbind
tells me that avahi-daemon was started because of cupsd (and that distccd will happily use it).

If the grep command prints nothing, try running it from /etc/init.d and look for a chain of "needs".

Uh, it's not started by local, is it ?
Tzuriel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I grep in /etc/runlevels/default and it's in:

bumblebee: need display-manager

What I'm after is being able to boot the machine and land in a console while not having started the display manager. Then, when I'm ready to start my display, I manually run startx which runs fluxbox. This is how it's been working before my last update.

I'm not sure if I should comment out that "need" line in bumblebee.
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzuriel wrote:
I'm not sure if I should comment out that "need" line in bumblebee.
I don't think you should edit anything under /etc/init.d . The next "emerge --update" might clobber it. What's bumblebee ? Can you remove it from the default runlevel ?

Meanwhile, judging by /etc/init.d/display-manager-setup, booting with "nogui" should prevent the display manager from starting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: