[solved] Network: Facebook on Firefox hang the DNS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: [solved] Network: Facebook on Firefox hang the DNS Reply with quote

I have 2 gentoo machines with firefox as main browser. On the desktop I use FB, on the laptop I don't use FB. The network connections are done via a professional home wifi network made by the EPFL (École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, very serious stuff, with the EPFZ, the 2 highest technical schools in Switzerland). It is mostly up and running very well all the time.

From a few months ago, I observed the network was just running fine with the laptop, but that with the desktop, the DNS was hanging several times a day, and that it was no obvious fix in order to restore the DNS. Sometime it was just to close and connect again the wifi with wpa_gui, some other time it was necessary to restart the network related servies in /etc/init.d, or to restart the machine. Sometime evven after restarting the machine, the network connection was done, but the DNS was not reachable. Also, it mostly happen when writing comments on FB.

On that machine running FB, firwefox have the Facebook container extension. Now I am doing a test: I closed the FB tab it was almost 4 days ago, and the network and its DNS are just running fine from that time. Maybe I should do like the Z generation and use TikTok instead of FB :lol:

Edit: Apparently, the EPFL or their provider changed something into the network the day after I made that subject. From that time, it disconnect and reconnect very often and very fast, but I get no issue with this. The DNS works fine, even youtube videos are working fine. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: