Genkernel not repsecting DEFAULT_KERNEL_CONFIG
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrunJuice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Genkernel not repsecting DEFAULT_KERNEL_CONFIG Reply with quote

According to the documentation the DEFAULT_KERNEL_CONFIG option should set the default kernel config overriding /usr/share/genkernel/arch/<arch>/generated-config however after deleting my saved config in /etc/kernels/ and setting the default to /etc/kernels/base-config.conf genkernel was still using the generated-config file.

To be sure the generated-config wasn't based off of my supplied config I diffed them and they are extremely different kernel configs. forcing the config with --kernel-config does still work.

Code:
# from my /etc/genkernel.conf
DEFAULT_KERNEL_CONFIG="/etc/kernels/base-config.conf"

Am I missing something here?

Aside: In general the config file management from genkernel seems messy, Very weird that by default there is no option to force builds to be based off of a fixed config that is then oldconfig'd up to current kernel version. And genereated-config is in fact regenerated on each kernel build, something that is not mentioned in the wiki article. So replacing generated-config to act as the base is not an option. Also defaulting first to the saved kernel config seems like another potential pitfall, since it means that updating a base config would be ignored after a second build of any version of the kernel. Saving the configs per version is a great feature but defaulting to them on rebuild not so much. Surely the only reason to rebuild the kernel in the first place would be to update the config. Anyway rant over.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to have changed in 2017 with:
https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/genkernel.git/commit/?id=11da80066b6f5c6bc264ab1c80d8716cb7782282

Likely the author did not follow the documentation in genkernel.conf and mistook DEFAULT as something bad.

This persisted through a refactor of gen_configkernel.sh to the present day.

This is worth filing a bug if one does not exist already.
PrunJuice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to sound stupid but how do I file a bug report?

:oops:
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrunJuice wrote:
This is going to sound stupid but how do I file a bug report?

:oops:

Go: https://bugs.gentoo.org/
make an account, press the big "file a bug" button or press "New" link from the upper menu.

Don't worry, we all started sometime too ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: