eth0 problems after fresh install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linux_weenie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: eth0 problems after fresh install Reply with quote

hey everybody,

i just finished my install of gentoo for the...i won't say Nth time :D. but, eth0 is failing to grab an ip address from my DHCP router. i've tested this in windows (dual-boot) on the same machine, so i know the card is okay and that the router is serving fine b/c i'm sending this message from my laptop on the same router. i allowed genkernel to create my kernel b/c i was in a hurry and just wanted to get this install done before bed, and it worked fine the last time. this time i decided to install the hotplug package, so i'm wondering does hotplug have any known issues with blocking eth0 from coming up? well if you need anymore information let me know. i'm planning on manually installing a fresh kernel tomorrow, but i'm curious as to why this kernel isn't loading eth0 properly.

-Will
nonotme
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it loading the appropriate module?
Hubbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: eth0 problems after fresh install Reply with quote

linux_weenie wrote:
hey everybody,

i just finished my install of gentoo for the...i won't say Nth time :D. but, eth0 is failing to grab an ip address from my DHCP router. i've tested this in windows (dual-boot) on the same machine, so i know the card is okay and that the router is serving fine b/c i'm sending this message from my laptop on the same router. i allowed genkernel to create my kernel b/c i was in a hurry and just wanted to get this install done before bed, and it worked fine the last time. this time i decided to install the hotplug package, so i'm wondering does hotplug have any known issues with blocking eth0 from coming up? well if you need anymore information let me know. i'm planning on manually installing a fresh kernel tomorrow, but i'm curious as to why this kernel isn't loading eth0 properly.

-Will

Try passing: pci=noacpi in your grub.conf file.

Code:

title = Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r8 vga=792 pci=noacpi
initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r8

I don't know what kind of card you are using but I do know that Realtek has some issues with acpi so that solution works for me.
linux_weenie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes. sure is.

Hubbo wrote:
Quote:

Thanks that worked perfectly. i figured it had something to do with my new kernel settings :).

-Will
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: