Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is it possible to get WebGPU to work on Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolly01
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Is it possible to get WebGPU to work on Gentoo? Reply with quote

Dear Gentooers.

I would like to learn to use the in-progress standard of WebGPU. I was poking around with it on a windows 10 machine using chromium the other day looking at working examples and would like to dive into development on my Gentoo system. However on my Gentoo Chromium build, whilst I can set the correct flags (including --enable-features=Vulkan as per stack-overflow) so that webgpu is enabled, the feature does not work. I was hoping that there are some devs knocking about this forum that may be able to assist. Details below:

Firstly this post is a bit of a hail Mary. I don't expect it to get solved and it isn't critical to my system that it does so, but it is some thing I don't know how to fixed but would like assistance with. Secondly I am unsure if this is a Gentoo specific problem or a Linux problem (or even a new hardware problem), all I know is that I can run all of the examples that come up from a google search perfectly well on a stock win 10 system but not on my new Gentoo build.

Whilst webGPU does not output anything (but shows a white canvas where output should be), quite a lot of its functionality is intact. For example, I can access a webgpu device and compile a shader module, as well as create a buffer and send data to it. Issues (at least on the example I have been pulling apart) arise when I try to configure my wbgpu context.

Irrespective of example tried I always get the same errors, which are as follows (note that arguments vary slightly between the examples I poll):

Code:

ExternalImageDescriptor is not an OpaqueFD descriptor.
    at GetMemoryImportParams (../../third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/vulkan/external_memory/MemoryServiceOpaqueFD.cpp:91)
    at ImportExternalImage (../../third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/vulkan/DeviceVk.cpp:908)

Triangle.html:1 [Invalid Texture] is invalid.
 - While calling [Invalid Texture].CreateView([null]).

Triangle.html:1 [Invalid TextureView] is invalid.
 - While validating colorAttachments[0].
 - While encoding [CommandEncoder].BeginRenderPass([RenderPassDescriptor]).

Triangle.html:1 [Invalid CommandBuffer] is invalid.
    at ValidateObject (../../third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/Device.cpp:651)
    at ValidateSubmit (../../third_party/dawn/src/dawn/native/Queue.cpp:393)

If anyone has gotten WebGPU to successfully work on Gentoo in browser I would love to hear from you, even if you cannot offer a solution but only provide witness to it working. I have half a mind to ask this question on Stack-overflow instead, but the root course is most likely me missing some key dependency in my Gentoo build which SO can't help with. However, being a gentoo and programming rookie I do not have the tools to troubleshoot myself: ergo this post!

Thanks for reading!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: