Desktop hangs after kernel upgrade
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonchik1976
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Desktop hangs after kernel upgrade Reply with quote

I have gentoo virtual machine installed on Hyper-V.
After upgrading kernel to 6.2.0, i can boot, and even ssh into the system, but after login to Gnome or KDE (Have them both installed) - it freezes immediately.
Please your help, where to start troubleshoot it?
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the display manager first. Which display manager are you using? Try a different one, such as lightdm instead of gdm.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
leonchik1976
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
Check the display manager first. Which display manager are you using? Try a different one, such as lightdm instead of gdm.

I have both gnome + kde installed, switching from gdm to sddm - login screen even not appear, but system itself works - if i disable gdm/sddm at all - mean i can boot without problem to terminal
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having problems with SDDM with Wayland and KDE. Switch User tends to just produce locked terminals (AFAIK a known problem that Ubuntu at least solved by removing Switch User). Also, I'm never too sure which tty has which user...
As a result of which I've been playing with removing the display manger completely.

Without a display manager, things are soo much harder - you have to choose a tty with Ctl+Alt+Del, sign in using userid+password, and then run the appropriate script to start your desktop. I'm being sarcastic here.
My approach is a script that starts KDE under Wayland, KDE under X11 or just a command line, depending on which tty I use: 1-4 get command lines, 5-8 get Wayland, 9-11 get X11. The X11 is just for the times I want to use Zoom and share my desktop, or whatever's broken in KDE+Wayland this week ...

To implement, I call the script (after checking I'm not root or running under su) from the end of /etc/profile, and modify inittab to use agetty for ttys 1-11 instead of 1-6. I'll try replacing agetty with mingetty next - I really have no use for serial connections; mingetty is minute - a couple of screenfuls of C code, as I recall.

I'll post my script for everyone to point out the goofs when I'm signed on at the right box later.
leonchik1976
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reinstalled the whole VM on hyper-v from scratch - same issue.
kernel 6.1.12 is the latest with Gnome/KDE that works without any issue.
all versions after that - 6.1.13, 6.1.14, , 6.2.0, 6.2.1 - sddm display manager even not gives me login screen, gdm - i can login - but immediately it freezes, though i can ssh into this machine.
Configuration of 6.1.12 completely identical to 6.1.13 and 6.1.14, so something changed in those versions.
Any ideas?
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of change is happening in amdgpu stuff. My system works with 6.2.1, but the last kernel I've had no issues with is 6.0.8. I've not tried any other of the 6.0 line, but 6.1.8 gave me trouble, 6.1.12 is kind of OK, but the graphics is jurkier and 6.2.1 is really jurky. So I just restored my 6.0.8 which I had messed up somehow and things look good with it.

Best Regards,
Georgi
leonchik1976
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
A lot of change is happening in amdgpu stuff. My system works with 6.2.1, but the last kernel I've had no issues with is 6.0.8. I've not tried any other of the 6.0 line, but 6.1.8 gave me trouble, 6.1.12 is kind of OK, but the graphics is jurkier and 6.2.1 is really jurky. So I just restored my 6.0.8 which I had messed up somehow and things look good with it.

Best Regards,
Georgi

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hyper-V
for hyper-v it's "fbdev". you think it's related to graphics driver?
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an amd video adapter? If so, it doesn't matter it it's fbdev. It does run on top of hardware, after all. In the same time many people are reporting such problems.

Best Regards,
Georgi
leonchik1976
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Do you have an amd video adapter? If so, it doesn't matter it it's fbdev. It does run on top of hardware, after all. In the same time many people are reporting such problems.

Best Regards,
Georgi

no, i don't have AMD video
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So disregards what I've said :)

Or maybe the problem I'm experiencing is not related to amdpu at all or at least not directly. I noticed some things in the browser run faster and my fans worked harder while I was running 6.2.1. MAybe there are some other issues.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: