View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codito ergo sum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Konsole doesn't exist in KDE in a virtual machine Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo under Ubuntu in a virtual machine and the CLI worked flawlessly, I downloaded kde-plasma/plasma-desktop (bacause of some internet issues I didn't download the meta KDE). After installing SDDM and starting it I entered GUI but unfortunately there isn't any command line tool. In the login screen when I choose Xsession, nothing happens and the password isn't recognized(There is no error but it remains in login screen).
Given that it's in a VM and I cannot access other consoles, is there a way to solve this problem?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konsole is an application in a separate package.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NOT start with a login manager. I would log in as a user on the TTY console and use 'startx' to start the Plasma desktop. If it works: fine. If it doesn't work, I can fall back to the TTY console and check error messages on the screen and in log files. I would switch to SDDM only after my desktop works if started with "startx".

For testing purposes, I would install a lightweight X terminal like xterm or st. konsole is much better, but it has a lot of dependencies.
Codito ergo sum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
I would NOT start with a login manager. I would log in as a user on the TTY console and use 'startx' to start the Plasma desktop. If it works: fine. If it doesn't work, I can fall back to the TTY console and check error messages on the screen and in log files. I would switch to SDDM only after my desktop works if started with "startx".

For testing purposes, I would install a lightweight X terminal like xterm or st. konsole is much better, but it has a lot of dependencies.

=========================================================================================
The problem is that I don't have anything to download. In a VM without any terminal. How to start it with startX then?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I understand correctly that your VM boots into SDDM and that there's nothing you can do there?

What happens if you press Alt-Ctrl-F1, Altr-Ctrl-F2, Alt-Ctrl-F3, ...? Does that lead to a text console? What happens if you press Alt-Ctrl-Backspace?

Do you use OpenRC? You could try to boot in interactive mode and skip the step "start sddm". Chances are that this will give you a TTY console. Maybe not. I don't know.

You could add a virtual CD-ROM to your VM and boot from SystemRescue or any other rescue system or boot image. Mount your disk and disable SDDM so that your machine will boot to a TTY console.
Codito ergo sum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Do I understand correctly that your VM boots into SDDM and that there's nothing you can do there?

What happens if you press Alt-Ctrl-F1, Altr-Ctrl-F2, Alt-Ctrl-F3, ...? Does that lead to a text console? What happens if you press Alt-Ctrl-Backspace?

Do you use OpenRC? You could try to boot in interactive mode and skip the step "start sddm". Chances are that this will give you a TTY console. Maybe not. I don't know.

You could add a virtual CD-ROM to your VM and boot from SystemRescue or any other rescue system or boot image. Mount your disk and disable SDDM so that your machine will boot to a TTY console.

-------------------------------------------
Tanx
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: