View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Only root wants to run gdm ?? SOLVED Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
I'm new to Gentoo (1 month), so please be patient.
I started installing Gentoo from stage 1. I emerged almost everything I needed (more or less) like: kde, gnome, openoffice, dependencies included. Since i am at work most of the time, it was OK to leave the computer working all by itself... :) I created one user account ('cosmin') belonging to groups user, sound and wheel. Now, everytime I try to start gdm from user 'cosmin', I get this message:
'Only root wants to run gdm'
I have the same problem with kdm and xdm. I can start X as an ordinary user, but not gdm. I thought it might be because of /tmp acces rights and I changed them to be rwxrwxrwx. No improvement... Can anybody help me, please?
If I am root, I can run gdm without problem.
Thank you!

P.S.: I think I saw somewhere in this forum something similar, but I can't find it. I would appreciate if you could point me to the right direction.

Last edited by Cosmin on Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that is the way it should be. You start gdm as root and then log in as an other user. :D

To start up gdm automatically just edit your rc.conf and rc-update add xdm default.

Have fun.
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. But I don't want to give away the root password in order to start the graphical interface. What can I do, because I won't be the only one who will use the computer? More that that, I want the computer to start in console, not in graphical interface... I want to start and stop it as I need it, and it would be nice to do this as a normal user.
I haven't add X server in the default runlevel, but I think I should. Please advise.
Thank you!
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want it to start up with a graphical login simply use startx to start the Xserver.

You can do that as a user and all you have to do is edit the .xinitrc file in your home directory to your liking. If you want to start kde for example put startkde in .xinitrc type startx and off you go.

Have fun. :D

P.S.: You should take a look at the desktop guide from the gentoo user docs. :wink:
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I'll do that!
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin wrote:
Ok. But I don't want to give away the root password in order to start the graphical interface. What can I do, because I won't be the only one who will use the computer? More that that, I want the computer to start in console, not in graphical interface... I want to start and stop it as I need it, and it would be nice to do this as a normal user.

I haven't add X server in the default runlevel, but I think I should. Please advise.

If you follow the instructions in the Gentoo Desktop Configuration Guide, you'll be able to add GDM to the default runlevel without handing over the root password to everybody.

Editing /etc/rc.conf to add this setting:
Code:
# What display manager do you use ?  [ xdm | gdm | kdm ]
DISPLAYMANAGER=gdm

This will tell the graphical login to use GDM.

Then, as root, issue the following two commands. Make sure X isn't alread running; drop back to the console if you have to:

Code:
rc-update add xdm default
/etc/init.d/xdm start

This will add the graphical login to your default runlevel, to start GDM at boot time. The second command lets you start GDM without rebooting. Now anybody that has a valid userid can login through GDM.

Hope this helps.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are aware that even when gdm is running, you can still log into console from a different vt?
Regardless, to give users the right to e.g. start and stop gdm, you should look into using sudo (app-admin/sudo)
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stormy Eyes, but I try to avoid running the graphical login at startup... There are times when I start the computer just for management tasks. I don't need X for that... Anyway, thank you, you are very kind! I don't know many people that wouldn't have told me rtfm! I apreciate that.
The solution that ralph gave me seems to be what I need. My other users can start kde/gnome/whatever by hand (typing) or using a login script. I'm new to Gentoo, but they came directly from Windows, so using a login script might be a good idea.
As for using sudo, yes, I think I might use it for my user account. Thank you for pointing this to me!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: