rEFInd: Invalid loader file! Error: Not Found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
METROIDHunter_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: rEFInd: Invalid loader file! Error: Not Found Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I built a new PC this weekend and I've installed Gentoo. Now I'm trying to boot into my new installation.
I've installed rEFInd and my UEFI loads it when I turn on my PC. When I attempt to boot my new Gentoo installation through rEFInd, I get this message from rEFInd:
Quote:
Starting vmlinuz-6.1.12-gentoo-x86_64
Using load options 'root=/dev/disk/by-label/LINUX-MULTI rw rootflags-subvol=@gentoo quiet dolvm initrd=\initramfs-6.1.24-gentoo-x86_64.img'
Invalid loader file!
Error: Not Found while loading vmlinuz-6.1.12-gentoo-x86_64

I am using a custom rEFInd boot stanza for Gentoo, & this is because I'm using lvm for most of my disk and BTRFS for my root partition.
This is the rEFInd boot stanza in question:
Code:

menuentry "Gentoo Linux" {
    icon /EFI/refind/icons/os_gentoo.png
    volume BOOT
    loader /vmlinuz-6.1.12-gentoo-x86_64
    initrd /initramfs-6.1.12-gentoo-x86_64.img
    options "root=/dev/disk/by-label/LINUX-MULTI rw rootflags-subvol=@gentoo quiet dolvm"
}

I use volume BOOT because my /boot partition is on /dev/disk/by-label/BOOT, formatted as ext4.
Instead of volume BOOT, I also tried volume <partuuid>, which changed nothing.
I also used volume ThisDoesNotExist, and that also changed nothing about the error message.

I've installed sys-boot/refind with USE="btrfs ext4".
I can see ext4_x64.efi within /boot/efi/EFI/refind/drivers_x64 (not btrfs, but my /boot is on an ext4 partition so I don't expect that to matter. The rest of / is on btrfs)
I've already verified that I've made no typos in the boot stanza.
If it's relevant, the hard drive I'm installing this to is an NVMe SSD.
Really struggling to figure out why rEFInd can't locate my Gentoo Linux kernel. I'd appreciate any suggestions for troubleshooting or fixing this.

Before someone asks, I did try to use GRUB, although it's not what I'd prefer. GRUB failed with an error message that said "Unknown filesystem" - I believe this might be relevant to my rEFInd issue...

I also had issues trying to install EFI boot entries into my UEFI NVRAM along the way, although I believe that's no longer the problem since rEFInd was able to install itself and I can boot into it consistently. I just can't boot Gentoo.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any suggestions.
METROIDHunter_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through all of these headaches only to discover I jotted down the incorrect PARTUUID in my rEFInd stanza...
I corrected volume <partuuid> to use the correct PARTUUID for my /boot partition. My system is booting now. Such a simple mistake! Sorry to waste your time.
This still doesn't explain why it didn't work with the filesystem label... my /boot partition is indeed labeled "BOOT"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: