[SOLVED] Podman can't run foreign architecture images
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinuxEnjoyer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Podman can't run foreign architecture images Reply with quote

Hello, I hope I put this in the right place. x

I can't run foreign architecture images with podman (test command from arch docs here https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Podman#Foreign_architectures):
Code:

[user@machine /home/user]# podman run --arch aarch64 'docker.io/alpine:latest' arch
{"msg":"exec container process (missing dynamic library?) `/bin/arch`: No such file or directory","level":"error","time":"2023-03-15T16:20:51.000472949Z"}

That's using crun, using runc gives the same error, but without the (missing dynamic library?) extra information.
Seems like a classic case of not-really-statically-linked-although-it-should-be, but I can't figure out why it happens.

The same thing happens when I try to build an image for a foreign architecture, arm64 specifically (host is amd64, yes podman and docker both accept arm64 and aarch64 interchangeably).

Code:

[user@machine /home/user]# emerge -pv qemu     

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 1.13 s.

[ebuild   R    ] app-emulation/qemu-7.2.0::gentoo  USE="aio alsa bzip2 curl fdt filecaps gnutls gtk jpeg ncurses nls opengl oss pam pin-upstream-blobs png pulseaudio sdl slirp smartcard static-user udev usb vhost-net vnc xattr -accessibility -bpf (-capstone) -debug -doc -fuse -glusterfs -infiniband -io-uring -iscsi -jack -jemalloc -lzo -multipath -nfs -numa -plugins -python -rbd -sasl -sdl-image (-selinux) -snappy -spice -ssh -static -systemtap -test -usbredir -vde -virgl -virtfs -vte -xen -zstd" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_10 -python3_9 -python3_11" QEMU_SOFTMMU_TARGETS="aarch64 arm x86_64 -alpha -avr -cris -hppa -i386 -loongarch64 -m68k -microblaze -microblazeel -mips -mips64 -mips64el -mipsel -nios2 -or1k -ppc -ppc64 -riscv32 -riscv64 -rx -s390x -sh4 -sh4eb -sparc -sparc64 -tricore -xtensa -xtensaeb" QEMU_USER_TARGETS="aarch64 aarch64_be arm x86_64 -alpha -armeb -cris -hexagon -hppa -i386 -loongarch64 -m68k -microblaze -microblazeel -mips -mips64 -mips64el -mipsel -mipsn32 -mipsn32el -nios2 -or1k -ppc -ppc64 -ppc64le -riscv32 -riscv64 -s390x -sh4 -sh4eb -sparc -sparc32plus -sparc64 -xtensa -xtensaeb" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Qemu is built with static user.

Code:

[user@machine /home/user]# ls -lah /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Mar 15 15:04 .
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Mar 15 15:04 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 15 15:04 qemu-aarch64
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 15 15:04 qemu-aarch64_be
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 15 15:04 qemu-arm
--w------- 1 root root 0 Mar 15 15:04 register
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 15 15:04 status

binfmt_misc has the appropriate entries, kernel can run misc binaries, podman can run amd64 images but not aarch64 images.

Does anyone know I've forgotten that makes me unable to run foreign architecture images through podman?

Last edited by LinuxEnjoyer on Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinuxEnjoyer,

I think the article you pointed are missing leading. It missing a step of
Code:
podman cp /usr/bin/qemu-aarch64 image:/usr/bin/qemu-aarch64.

According to pod man page
Code:
--arch=ARCH
Override the architecture, defaults to hosts, of the image to be pulled. For
example, arm. Unless overridden, subsequent lookups of the same image in
the local storage will match this architecture, regardless of the host.
is for pulling architecture specificed image. It is not used running the image.
LinuxEnjoyer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to solve this, the problem came from strange default binfmt flags as well as a seemingly broken qemu-aarch64[ static binary as well as default config that's not friendly to containers.

First off, the default `OC`-flags causes issues when running in containers, when those were changed to `FP` I instead got segfaults, which was an improvement, the binary was at least available to the container.

Editing the docker image shouldn't be necessary with a properly configured binfmt, and indeed no distro suggests that. It seems that the ebuild for the binary is busted or at least broken-by-default for purposes of using it for running in containers.

So the solution is to get a working version of qemu-<arch>-static, can easily be sourced from the Arch repos for example, move that into /usr/bin/qemu-aarch64. Edit /etc/init.d/qemu-binfmt and change flags from OC to FP, then restart the service.
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinuxEnjoyer,

I am interesting to learn more about the binfmt, can you share some pointers about the 'FP' flags? where can I find the reference about the "flags" field in binfmt and why 'FP' will work.

Thanks.
LinuxEnjoyer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best source is the kernel docs here https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/binfmt-misc.html.

I tried a few different versions, but as makes sense when checking out those docs, having the `F` flag is necessary for this to work. Exactly why is beyond me, I'm guessing how docker/podman sets up their virtualization, I'm guessing that they're doing some mounts/chroots that makes the binary unavailable under some circumstances.
I'm using `OCF` as flags now and that works fine!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: