[SOLVED] ds9 won't launch, tcl issue?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:05 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] ds9 won't launch, tcl issue? Reply with quote

I regularly use a program called ds9, or saods9. It's available through gentoo as sci-astronomy/ds9-bin. I've used it for a long time, but I've recently run into this issue when I try to launch ds9 from the terminal

Code:
Error in startup script: couldn't read file "./zvfsmntpt/library/ds9.tcl": no such file or directory

Neither zvfsmntpt nor ds9.tcl exist anywhere on my computer, but I also haven't removed them. As far as I can tell, this problem started when I setup astropy via anaconda, which pulls in its own version of ds9. I've since setup a separate user account just for anaconda, removed all traces (that I could find) from the regular user account, and re-emerged ds9 with --emptytree, but without success. Does anyone know what might cause this?

Last edited by jyoung on Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that SAOImageDS9 is a stand alone program. This means that if comes with all of its needed libraries included. You could consider just downloading it to a folder into your home directory and running the application from there. The version upstream is actually a newer release as well.
https://github.com/SAOImageDS9/SAOImageDS9
If you don't use git, you can always click on "Code" and click on "Download Zip."
Once it is downloaded, extract the file (SAOImageDS9-master.zip) to a location of your choice in your home directory.
The directory is named 'SAOImageDS9-master.' Navigate to the directory in the terminal.
From the command line you will need to use two commands to compile the program:
Code:
unix/configure

And once it finishes the configuration step:
Code:
make

The binary will be found in the bin sub-directory (SAOImageDS9-master/bin/)
Depending on your setup you can just click on the file named ds9 and it should open. You can alternatively run it from the command line as follows:
Code:
./ds9

For convenience, you can create a link (shortcut) to the binary file or a .desktop file that can be accessed from your apps menu.
I did all of this on my machine, it took about 5 minutes, and ds9 launches the graphical interface with no errors.
Good Luck.
Unless you have a strong need to have ds9 managed through portage, I'd recommend using the program in standalone mode from your home directory because updates to your Gentoo installation and libraries that ds9 depends on will not have any affect on the program.
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I need to go that route.

I'm still a little concerned about how anaconda messed up this system. ds9 isn't the only package to use tcl. Any thoughts on this?
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how anaconda messed up this system. ds9 isn't the only package to use tcl. Any thoughts on this?

I don't know anything about Anaconda. I do not know how you installed it (gentoo repos, overlay, external build sources, testing sources, etc) or what commands you used. There are a lot of variables to unpack there.
With regard to tcl, do you have reason to believe other packages that rely on dev-lang/tcl are negatively affected? I ask because the error message you posted:
Code:
Error in startup script: couldn't read file "./zvfsmntpt/library/ds9.tcl": no such file or directory

does not necessarily indicate there is a problem with your system installation of dev-lang/tcl. Correct me if I am wrong but the file ds9.tcl appears to be a file that belongs to ds9, not your system's tcl.
Also, your initial post does not indicate other issues besides ds9.
My suggestion for the future is to keep good backups of your system onto external drives, in case you need to revert adverse changes.
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I think this file belongs to ds9, or would belong to ds9 if the file existed.

I don't actually have any reasons to suspect that anaconda messed with the system install of tcl, but it is concerning that it could mess with a local configuration file to the extent that a system-installed application would fail. Maybe this isn't a huge deal...
jyoung
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to mark this as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: