View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Stuck on "Loading Initial Ramdisk" Reply with quote

Greetings, I have made a fresh gentoo install and I am having issues booting into my install

Here are some details about my setup

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300X
GPU: MSI Nvidia GTX 1650
Storage: Seagate 1TB HDD SATA (sda1, btrfs), Kingston 240GB SSD SATA (sdb1, boot, vfat; sdb2 ,swap; sdb3, btrfs)

Formatted using GPT boot record, currently runs UEFI with EFI set up as suggested in the wiki, using Grub as my bootloader

Kernel version: 6.1.19-gentoo-x86_64 and 6.1.23-gentoo-dist-x86-64

https://pastebin.com/DwwPsTy4 (kernel configs) (also added "Mark VGA/VBE/EFI FB as generic system framebuffer")
https://pastebin.com/056NqqQb (lspci -nnk) (taken from a linux mint live session)
https://pastebin.com/SasUcReq (grub.cfg)

I have compiled my kernel using genkernel and applied configs as mentioned above.

I have installed x11-drivers/nvidia-driver via the repos and followed the guides

https://files.catbox.moe/1f2jq2.jpg (an image of the issue at hand)

Have looked through previous issues on this forum but cant seem to come to a working solution.

More info will be provided on request, thanks!
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo Forums!
You mention
Quote:

but you seem to be loading 6.1.22-gentoo-dist according to your photo.
Plz make sure which kernel you are loading and patebin the pertinent config.
Have you updated grub?
Plz post
Code:

ls /boot

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppybara,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Turn off
Code:
CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=m
CONFIG_FB_RIVA=m

Code:
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
are both OK.
VESA will be used if you BIOS boot, EFI if you use EFI.

Code:
CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=m
is for testing, It draws in a piece of main main memory that cannot be used to update the screen.
Unless you really want to do that turn it off too.

Its possible that boot progresses normally but there is no console output.
If you have ssh set up, can you connect like that and get dmesg?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant wrote:
Welcome to Gentoo Forums!
You mention
Quote:

but you seem to be loading 6.1.22-gentoo-dist according to your photo.
Plz make sure which kernel you are loading and patebin the pertinent config.
Have you updated grub?
Plz post
Code:

ls /boot

The image was meant to representative of the problem, sorry for not being specific in that regard

output of ls /boot
Code:

EFI                              System.map-6.1.22-gentoo-dist  grub                                initramfs-6.1.19-gentoo-x86_64.img.old  vmlinuz-6.1.19-gentoo-x86_64
System.map-6.1.19-gentoo-x86_64  config-6.1.22-gentoo-dist      initramfs-6.1.19-gentoo-x86_64.img  initramfs-6.1.22-gentoo-dist.img        vmlinuz-6.1.22-gentoo-dist
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Poppybara,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Turn off
Code:
CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=m
CONFIG_FB_RIVA=m

Code:
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
are both OK.

Code:
CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=m
is for testing, It draws in a piece of main main memory that cannot be used to update the screen.

I dont have ssh set up, unfortunately, as i said, this is a fresh install with not much done to it

However, i do have access to chroot and can see from there. I use openrc and not systemd, i should have stated this before

i have never set up ssh, so pls give me awhile, thx!
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Poppybara"]
NeddySeagoon wrote:
Poppybara,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Turn off
Code:
CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=m
CONFIG_FB_RIVA=m

Code:
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
are both OK.

Code:
CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=m

I dont have ssh set up, unfortunately, as i said, this is a fresh install with not much done to it

However, i do have access to chroot and can see from there. I use openrc and not systemd, i should have stated this before

i have never set up ssh, so pls give me a while, thx

Edit: I want to note that i never enabled CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL, this was on by default
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppybara wrote:
Edit: I want to note that i never enabled CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL, this was on by default

Yes. This is a default ... and does not hurt. The real problem you have is NVIDIA ... :lol:

There is a trick with nvidia: Enable some other drm - e.g. Intel i915 - as module (it will not be loaded), to get another necessary kernel option. Now nvidia should load and work. This is a temporary workaround until nvidia is able to make a correct linux driver ... :twisted:

(All other is correct: No simple FB and both EFI-fb and VESA-fb are enabled statical).
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Poppybara wrote:

Yes. This is a default ... and does not hurt. The real problem you have is NVIDIA ... :lol:

There is a trick with nvidia: Enable some other drm - e.g. Intel i915 - as module (it will not be loaded), to get another necessary kernel option. Now nvidia should load and work. This is a temporary workaround until nvidia is able to make a correct linux driver ... :twisted:

(All other is correct: No simple FB and both EFI-fb and VESA-fb are enabled statical).

Thats really stupid how that works. What is this "another necessary kernel option" that u have mentioned?

So i just enable some drm in the graphics driver part as a module and it should work? Am i getting that right?
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppybara wrote:
Thats really stupid how that works. What is this "another necessary kernel option" that u have mentioned?

So i just enable some drm in the graphics driver part as a module and it should work? Am i getting that right?

Short: Yes. :lol:

Long: nvidia module needs DRM-helper settings - you dont have right now in your kernel configuration, because you CANNOT enable it directly. Now look into the <Help> of "Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics" and you will see:
Quote:
SELECTS: [...] DRM_DISPLAY_DP_HELPER [=y] && DRM_DISPLAY_HDCP_HELPER [=y] && DRM_DISPLAY_HDMI_HELPER [=y] && DRM_DISPLAY_HELPER [=y] && DRM_KMS_HELPER [=y] [...]

With enabling i915 you enable (automatically) these options, needed also by your nvidia driver.
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Poppybara wrote:

Short: Yes. :lol:

Long: nvidia module needs DRM-helper settings - you dont have right now in your kernel configuration, because you CANNOT enable it directly. Now look into the <Help> of "Intel 8xx/9xx/G3x/G4x/HD Graphics" and you will see:
Quote:
SELECTS: [...] DRM_DISPLAY_DP_HELPER [=y] && DRM_DISPLAY_HDCP_HELPER [=y] && DRM_DISPLAY_HDMI_HELPER [=y] && DRM_DISPLAY_HELPER [=y] && DRM_KMS_HELPER [=y] [...]

With enabling i915 you enable (automatically) these options, needed also by your nvidia driver.

Thx! I will enable that as a module and let it compile. Is there anything additional that i have to do to get out of this mess? Say maybe add some modeset parameters in grub?

I remember i had to do smth like that in fedora, perhaps it was cuz it really wanted u to use nouveau, please advise!
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppybara wrote:
Thx! I will enable that as a module and let it compile. Is there anything additional that i have to do to get out of this mess? Say maybe add some modeset parameters in grub?

I remember i had to do smth like that in fedora, perhaps it was cuz it really wanted u to use nouveau, please advise!

It depends ... yes, sometimes you have to configure more (depending on version of nvidia module) ... I am not a nvidia expert and I dont recommend it in my article:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_kernel_configuration#Graphics_adapter

Yes, if you need strong 3d graphics for gaming nvidia is better (faster) than nouveau ... in all other cases I suggest to use nouveau ... because you will have no problems with it.
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Poppybara wrote:

It depends ... yes, sometimes you have to configure more (depending on version of nvidia module) ... I am not a nvidia expert and I dont recommend it in my article:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_kernel_configuration#Graphics_adapter

Yes, if you need strong 3d graphics for gaming nvidia is better (faster) than nouveau ... in all other cases I suggest to use nouveau ... because you will have no problems with it.

Thx a lot for ur input, i will be using wayland primarily, and the wiki for nvidia provided by gentoo makes no mention of wayland apart from USE flags, should i expect problems? I will be using mostly wlroots based WMs

am i to expect similar behaviour from 3rd party kernels, say xanmod or tkg? I have plans on using those.

U did mention u arent an expert on nvidia, i would still appreciate any inputs!

Afaik, they should give me the same options to the ones provided by gentoo.
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppybara,

first of all: Thanks a lot for your kind words ! TBH I am an old man, paranoid for security, using old X11 and my hardened kernel; and I dont know anything about configuring wayland (*), or how heavily patched your mentioned kernels are (Ubuntu, RedHat and others have very heavily patched kernels). Our Gentoo-sources is nearly a vanilla kernel. In general I always suggest: First build a small and easy system which works and then add (or change) additional features ... one by one ... so you can check immediately if there is a problem. If you do all at the same time it is hard to find out which cause troubles.

*) But - of course - we have also wayland experts here in our forum ... just open a new thread if you have a specific problem. 8)

IMHO Gentoo is the BEST (meta-) distribution if you want configure your system by yourself ... and if you want IT security ... let me quote:
Quote:
The best distribution to use as a base for your hardened operating system would be Gentoo Linux, as it allows you to configure your system exactly how you want it to be, which will be extremely useful, especially when we come to more secure compilation flags later in the guide.

From: https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/guides/linux-hardening.html

(and sorry for my poor english).
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
Poppybara,

first of all: Thanks a lot for your kind words ! TBH I am an old man, paranoid for security, using old X11 and my hardened kernel; and I dont know anything about configuring wayland, or how heavily patched your mentioned kernels are (Ubuntu, RedHat and others have very heavily patched kernels). Our Gentoo-sources is nearly a vanilla kernel. In general I always suggest: First build a small and easy system which works and then add (or change) additional features ... one by one ... so you can check immediately if there is a problem. If you do all at the same time it is hard to find out which cause troubles.

IMHO Gentoo is the BEST (meta-) distribution if you want configure your system by yourself ... and if you want IT security ... let me quote:
Quote:
The best distribution to use as a base for your hardened operating system would be Gentoo Linux, as it allows you to configure your system exactly how you want it to be, which will be extremely useful, especially when we come to more secure compilation flags later in the guide.

From: https://madaidans-insecurities.github.io/guides/linux-hardening.html

(and sorry for my poor english).

Absolutely no issues, still appreciate the effort of replying to my support thread. Thank you <3

To update u on the issue at hand, the kernel compiled(with ur suggested workaround), initramfs generated and grub stuff done, the issue still persists

I will now be attaching an image of the grub commands that run before booting

https://files.catbox.moe/m2putd.jpg

I am still practically on square one, with no idea how to move forward, i will look into this again in a few hours.
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know exactly what you have done so far ... so, just let me say something:

1. You must chroot again into your installation, like you did when you installed gentoo the first time:

Code:
- boot with amd64-minimal CD (or USB)
# clear
# mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/gentoo
# cd /mnt/gentoo
# mount -t proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
# mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
# mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
# mount --bind /run /mnt/gentoo/run
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# . /etc/profile
# mount /dev/sdXZ /boot

2. Do all what is necessary and dont forget to re-configure grub again with:
Code:
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

(If you have other directories you must adjust it)
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
I dont know exactly what you have done so far ... so, just let me say something:

1. You must chroot again into your installation, like you did when you installed gentoo the first time:

Code:
- boot with amd64-minimal CD (or USB)
# clear
# mount /dev/sdXY /mnt/gentoo
# cd /mnt/gentoo
# mount -t proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
# mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
# mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
# mount --bind /run /mnt/gentoo/run
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# . /etc/profile
# mount /dev/sdXZ /boot

2. Do all what is necessary and dont forget to re-configure grub again with:
Code:
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

(If you have other directories you must adjust it)

Yes, i have been following these exact steps to get stuff done

1. Boot into linux mint live iso
2. Run the commands mentioned above as root
3. chroot in and mount /boot
4. Do genkernel stuff and emerge stuff
5. Re-configure grub
6. Reboot and test
7. Repeat

I have also verified my fstab, no issues there either. I will see what i can do next
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fstab is not important at the moment (it comes later when kernel is started).

Let me ask: Do you have the same problem as reported first: Stuck at "Loading Linux ..." ?

If yes, this means: grub has successfully started your kernel, BUT you dont see any output -> The most common reason for this is: Kernel cannot write to framebuffer (we have a lot of threads for this here in our forum). Please check it: Can you do a "blind" login and a warm boot ? If yes, I will need you actual kernel config again. If no, we have a bigger problem.

What is your actual kernel ? 6.1.19 or 6.1.22 ? Have you mixed up something ?
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
fstab is not important at the moment (it comes later when kernel is started).

Let me ask: Do you have the same problem as reported first: Stuck at "Loading Linux ..." ?

If yes, this means: grub has successfully started your kernel, BUT you dont see any output -> The most common reason for this is: Kernel cannot write to framebuffer (we have a lot of threads for this here in our forum). Please check it: Can you do a "blind" login and a warm boot ? If yes, I will need you actual kernel config again. If no, we have a bigger problem.

What is your actual kernel ? 6.1.19 or 6.1.22 ? Have you mixed up something ?

Yes, the initial problem still exists. No i havent yet tried a blind login, even if it were to work, there would probably be no way to know that it did.

I wiped off my boot partition and tried the thing again, so at the time of writing i only have 6.1.19.
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to update everyone linked to this issue of the series of steps I have taken as suggested by this forum

1. Disable nvidia (and riva) framebuffer
2. isolate the issue to a single kernel
3. Post grub.cfg
4. Verified that a blind login doesnt work (neither do i have a way to verify that it does indeed work)
5. chroot in and rebuild modules on multiple occassions
6. compile my kernel using genkernel

Code:
 genkernel --clean --no-module-rebuild --firmware all --makeopts=-j6 --menuconfig

In addition to this, I have also verified that all the steps in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers#Kernel have been followed

I am not sure about the kernel GCC plugins section, I have not touched that as I have no way of knowing what works for me https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers#Kernel_GCC_plugins

I have not re-emerged my drivers yet, here are my current configs

when I do
Code:
 emerge @module-rebuild

I get this as a warning during emerge

Code:

* Detected potential configuration issues with used kernel:
 *   CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB: is set, this may prevent FB_EFI or FB_VESA
 *     from providing a working tty console display (ignore if unused).

https://pastebin.pl/view/af98fbab (kernel config)
https://pastebin.pl/view/c2c4d3ee (grub config)

The issue remains the same, still stuck on "Loading Initial ramdisk...", please advise.

I will perhaps try a third party kernel and update the results here
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have inspected your first 6.1.19 kernel config (in 1st post) and your 5.15.0-56 Ubuntu (*) kernel config now. BOTH have "# CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB is not set" !

So, if you have now this message, it must be from a third kernel (I dont know):
Code:

*) Maybe you will not be happy with Ubuntu because: "CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=m" ... !
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.: Please let me say a word about "CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB".

Yes, it is recommended in our Wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers#Kernel_compatibility

Yes, sometimes it cause a problem and must be disabled.

It depends on the version of used nvidia driver !

But, IF nvidia driver tells you to NOT use this option, you can believe it.
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
I have inspected your first 6.1.19 kernel config (in 1st post) and your 5.15.0-56 Ubuntu (*) kernel config now. BOTH have "# CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB is not set" !

So, if you have now this message, it must be from a third kernel (I dont know):
Code:

*) Maybe you will not be happy with Ubuntu because: "CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU=m" ... !

Hold the phone. Where did Ubuntu come from? I am only using genkernel here?

Please lend me some time to compile my kernel and try again, I will update you soon
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have checked my config via the ncurses menu, and that doesnt hold up

https://files.catbox.moe/pkgu5y.png
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor edit, this is the kernel config with which I am now compiling

https://pastebin.pl/view/d38e49b5
Poppybara
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I have re-compiled my kernel and changed the following options

Code:

#CONFIG_SYSFB_SIMPLEFB is not set
#CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set

I have disabled both these options, as the during emerge @module-rebuild, the nvidia driver was complaining that SYSFB_SIMPLEFB is not desirable and known to be broken at kernel version >=5.18.45 + NVIDIA (smth along those lines) (or it was DRM_SIMPLEDRM)

Also it complained that either FB_VESA or FB_EFI should be set, so i disabled FB_VESA

Mind you, this was the driver complaining about these, I have simply followed what it advised, inspite of being completely opposite to what the gentoo wiki suggests otherwise. The modules compiles without any warnings or complains.

I have tested the changes and still stuck on the same issue. At this point I have no idea whether gentoo wiki is right, or what the nvidia module suggests, both are contradicting each other and neither are giving any results

Here is my current kernel config https://pastebin.pl/view/e0133b25

I have spent 3 hrs installing gentoo and 3 days figuring this out with no end in sight :x :x :evil: :evil:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: