Keyboard no longer working post recent update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeDirt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Keyboard no longer working post recent update Reply with quote

Hello, sorry for the newb question! Any guidance pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, i'm not really sure where to start with this one.

I'm fairly new to Gentoo.

Recently, about 1-2 weeks ago?, I updated and landed on kernel 6.1.12. Post update, I noticed my USB keyboard stopped working on boot. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it works just fine as it was before the update. I've since updated again ( a few minutes ago ) and still the same behavior.

It does not appear to be just an X11 thing as I am not able to use the keyboard in rEFInd either unless I unplug/plug the keyboard.

I have pasted my dmesg here: https://pastebin.com/hqtvY8nw

I'm not sure where to start though, what else would be helpful to troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance for any help!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmesg output has multiple Logitech keyboard references (presumably the same device) as well as a Kinesis.

Do you have two keyboards, or is the Logitech only a hub?

Is USB / keyboard support compiled as a module or directly into the kernel? With the keyboard working, what is the output of lsmod ?

If you have kernel config files for the old and new kernel, wgetpaste those would probably help.
JoeDirt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello pjp, thanks for the reply!

As I was poking around gathering the information you requested I realized the issue. I feel a bit more foolish now than I did before!

A while back, a couple months ago at least, I added a udev rule and apparently it had more consequences than I had anticipated. Somehow I hadn't rebooted since then... It's amazing how stable gentoo is even with newb's like me running around :)

We can consider this issue resolved and I will dig into udev rules a bit more and figure out what I messed up here.

Thanks again for your help!

Code:
ACTION=="remove", ENV{ID_BUS}=="usb", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="0407", ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="1050", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/yubikey_lockscreen.sh"

Code:

#!/bin/sh
# Based on https://raw.githubusercontent.com/aminb/usb-lock/master/onusbunplug.sh

getXuser() {
        user=`pinky| grep -m1 ":$displaynum" | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ x"$user" != x"" ]; then
                userhome=`getent passwd $user | cut -d: -f6`
                export XAUTHORITY="$userhome/.Xauthority"
        else
                export XAUTHORITY=""
        fi
}

for x in /tmp/.X11-unix/*; do
    displaynum=`echo $x | sed s#/tmp/.X11-unix/X##`
    getXuser
    if [ x"$XAUTHORITY" != x"" ]; then
        # extract current state
        export DISPLAY=":$displaynum"
    fi
done

su "$user" -c "i3lock -c 555588 -i /home/joe/Wallpaper/Gentoo/gentoo_hiding.png"
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least that helped you to remember the change. Feeling foolish can be reserved for not remembering until the second page of posts ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: