help on getting ebuild to work with multilib
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:19 am    Post subject: help on getting ebuild to work with multilib Reply with quote

I am writing a modified version of the media-libs/mesa ebuild for adding support for rusticl. So far I resolved must of the problems, except for getting it to work with multilib, currently my situation is to either try it with only x86_64 ABI, but fail to compile because of its dependencies on very basic system libraries, or to reinstall all the problematic dependencies as x86_64 ABI. A necessity I had for this ebuild is that the ROCm in which the opencl support on AMD GPUs depend, does need PCIe with Atomics. So I am trying this other opencl system by mesa to find if it will support my system, as the clover driver also wont support because my GPU is newer then what is supported by clover, an AMD Radeon Pro WX 2100

page with informations I used for writing the ebuild: https://docs.mesa3d.org/rusticl.html

here is the error shown: https://pastebin.com/eBbZgxjZ

the patch I used for that ebuild:
Code:

diff --git a/src/compiler/clc/meson.build b/src/compiler/clc/meson.build
index a082a87..4ae80a5 100644
--- a/src/compiler/clc/meson.build
+++ b/src/compiler/clc/meson.build
@@ -19,7 +19,7 @@
 # FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS
 # IN THE SOFTWARE.

-clang_resource_dir = join_paths(llvm_libdir, 'clang', dep_llvm.version(), 'include')
+clang_resource_dir = join_paths('/usr/lib/clang', dep_llvm.version(), 'include')

if dep_llvm.version().version_compare('< 15.0')
   opencl_c_h = custom_target(

the ebuild itself (look for the USE flag rusticl for most of the changes):
https://pastebin.com/KghgS137

the modified llvm ebuild for supporting rusticl: https://pastebin.com/NtikBg72

for further information, the lspci output:
https://pastebin.com/DF6WBmK4

and the message from dmesg:
Code:
[    1.211364] kfd kfd: amdgpu: skipped device 1002:6995, PCI rejects atomics 730<0

Last edited by jeffss on Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: help on getting ebuild to work with multilib environment Reply with quote

jeffss wrote:
I am writing a modified version of the media-libs/mesa ebuild for adding support for rusticl. So far I resolved must of the problems, except for getting it to work with multilib, currently my situation is to either try it with only x86_64 ABI, but fail to compile because of its dependencies on very basic system libraries, or to reinstall all the problematic dependencies as x86_64 ABI.

Not quite sure I can follow you there. The error you posted is from the attempt of building the 32 bit version of the package (abi_x86_32), which fails due to trying to link to 64 bit object files. Which likely is a result of the first error:
Code:
Compiler for language rust for the build machine not found.
../mesa-22.3.7/meson.build:937:2: ERROR: Rust compiler rustc -C linker=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -C link-arg=-m32 -C link-arg=-mfpmath=sse can not compile programs.

Also why do you need to hardcode the path to clang in meson? Looks like it would cause problems, not solve them. But then I don't know much about llvm/clang/rust.
jeffss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having problem with the building operation not finding a header, then the header was inside the folder that I hardcoded there and when I used
Code:
equery f sys-devel/clang
the output indicated that the meson configuration was likely pointing to the wrong location, which was a merge of the llvm path, followed by a path related to clang

Thanks for the clarification about Rust, I am able to at least install the ebuild if I drop the x86_32 abi. However for system upgrades it is still a problem, as many reverse dependencies need it. I know at least that I can use the rust-toolchain eclass. However my problem seems to be that rust calls the c compiler to build for 64 abi and then tries to link in 32, when building for the 32 abi, and I am not being able to change the build target of the objects. I dont know if I should use an external flag or change the meson configuration
jeffss
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I am being able to install the multilib version by restricting the rusticl feature to x86_64:

Code:

if use rusticl && [[ ${MULTILIB_ABI_FLAG} == x86_64 ]]; then
    RUST_TARGET="$(rust_abi x86_64)"
    emesonargs+=(
                        -Dgallium-rusticl=true
                        -Dllvm=enabled
                        -Drust_std=2021
                )
fi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: