View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: my yaboot.conf file Reply with quote

OK, here is the link to my yaboot.conf file
http://home.earthlink.net/~fitchmicah/gentoofiles/yaboot.conf

It looks perfect to me!
:D

Edit: Does anyone know of a way that I can get up to changing my files quicker after a reboot? Right now I have to modprobe everything and setup the network and chroot and everything and it makes me hesitant to even reboot when I change something. meh...
ds9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Installing and Booting Gentoo on external Firewire disk Reply with quote

ds9 wrote:
mfitch wrote:
Could people who have this working please post their Yaboot.conf files?

I'm not having it working (still facing the ext3 issue too)

I'm still debugging :evil:

:lol:
GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was missing sbp2 support in the kernel hence the "Mount: error 6 mount ext3"
error.
After this change I managed to boot on my external firewire disk
My config files (for an ibook 2001 late ed. 700Mhz) are :
http://milter.free.fr/ppc2/.config
http://milter.free.fr/ppc2/yaboot.conf

My .config may not be perfect I'm not a kernel expert.
I did not use modules a lot and included compiled support
for ohci1394, sbp2 ....

Thanks to fw146 who helped me in the past many times to correct errors and move step by step to this successful booting :D

I now just have a small issue : aterm does not work correctly : when I launch it
there is just a white window... This looks like a /dev/ppts or /dev/vt issue.
Real strange !!!
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D congratulations...

I have an update too!

I solved the problem with mounting the root partition and got the shell up!
Now my problem is different:

It goes a little something like this:

Code:

mknod: /dev/root: file exists
mount: invalid option - --
mount: mounting ext3 on /dev/root failed: no such file or directory
pivot_root: no such file or directory

And that's when the kernel panics :(
I guess I will sort through all the posts on this thread and figure out what my problem was compared to the rest. :(:(

My linuxrc is here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~fitchmicah/gentoofiles/linuxrc1

Hope youguys can help and I am feeling at least a little better now!

PS: the problem with mounting the root partition was in that I put my "root=" before "initrd="
crazy problem, huh?
ds9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfitch wrote:

I have an update too!

I solved the problem with mounting the root partition and got the shell up!

Code:

I guess I will sort through all the posts on this thread and figure out what my problem was compared to the rest. :(:(

My linuxrc is here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~fitchmicah/gentoofiles/linuxrc1

Hope youguys can help and I am feeling at least a little better now!

PS: the problem with mounting the root partition was in that I put my "root=" before "initrd="
crazy problem, huh?

Replace
mkrootdev /dev/root with :
mknod /dev/root b 8 9

and give it another try.
Maybe mkinitrd needs a fix for that ?
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, I already did that and it didn't work.
I didn't use mkinitrd because it didn't work on the livecd, so instead I copied the initrd off of the livecd (btw I just updated my linuxrc file that was on the web... it was old, the new one is there now)

Any other ideas?

edit: oh yea could someone explain exactly what this does:

Code:
 echo "scsi-add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried compiling ext3 as a module and copying it to the initrd, but it won't load. It tries twice and then panics. This is very tough. Does it matter where I copy the ext3.ko as long as I have the right path in my linuxrc file? Help would be appreciated!
fw146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfitch wrote:
I tried compiling ext3 as a module and copying it to the initrd, but it won't load. It tries twice and then panics. This is very tough. Does it matter where I copy the ext3.ko as long as I have the right path in my linuxrc file? Help would be appreciated!

No, it should not matter where you put the ext3.ko, as long as you provide the correct path to insmod. You mentioned that you got the shell up. In that case try it manually at the shell prompt.

On mknod, if you get /dev/root exists, just do
Code:
 mknod /dev/fitchroot 8 6
Of course edit the rest of your linuxrc accordingly. Notice that I changed 9 to 6, as your yaboot.conf indicates that your root is on partition 6 and not 9. To understand device nodes
Code:
man mknod
Also the file devices.txt in kernel documentation is useful.

ds9 wrote:
Thanks to fw146 who helped me in the past many times to correct errors and move step by step to this successful booting :D

Good to hear that.
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the root made with:

mknod /dev/root b 8 6

But it still doesn't work.
What does the 'b' do? FW you didn't include that in your last example... I will try without it. I still get the same error, and my insmod for ext3 still won't work.

-Micah
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no ideas? :? :(

I'm just waitin' around, while gentoo sits unused :cry:
fw146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: mounting problems :) Reply with quote

mfitch wrote:

Code:

Looks like mount is trying to mount a file called ext3 on /dev/root. Syntax problem. The syntax in the linuxrc is correct for (i believe) the nash interpreter, which has a built-in mount command. If you have a mount program on your initrd, at the shell prompt try
Code:
/path/to/mount -h
/path/to/mount -o ro -t ext3 /dev/mfitchroot /sysroot

The b stands for a block file, as opposed to c for a char special file. More details in the mknod man page...
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh crap, my linuxrc isn't current — I changed nash to sh ...

What now?
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait a sec... is '/dev/root' supposed to mean '/dev/sda6' AKA my root partition? I don't think so but I am thinking that that could be my problem is that I am literally taking '/dev/root' to mean "/dev/root"

also, /bin/nash and /bin/bash don't work.

Right now the problem is that I cannot mount with -t ext3. My Mount command doesn't support it. I can mount -t ext2, but that's not what I want to do!

Furthermore, after I mount as ext2, pivot_root gives me that same error!

Also, how on earth do you boot 2004.2!? All I get is the OF prompt.
mfitch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I booted up!!!
The problem was in my yaboot.conf... I was missing a ':' after my ofboot path! Wow, what a simple thing.
Now I am having network problems, and I cannot do anything because I cannot really emerge anything and my system is empty.

These problems seem very simple now though.
Sir Al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fw146 wrote:
If you still have not found your fw-disk. repeat this for other aliases with firewire in their expansions. Let me know how it works out.
Cheers!

I was able to install Gentoo Linux 2005.0 quite easily onto my external firewire drive. The only thing special I had to do was add a serialize_io=1 option to the sbp2 module.

However, I can't list my drive in OF (even after probing). It's not in /proc/device-tree either, and ofpath says it can't find the SCSI driver for sbp2.

Any ideas?
MSI Geforce4 Ti4200-TD 250/446 mhz
MSI TV@nywhere TV Tuner
Antec SX1040BII Case + SL400 400W PSU
Logitech Z-540 4.1 Speakers
Little Nemo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup your /etc/yaboot.conf, then run yabootconfig which proved helpful on my PowerBook 12". Use the "device=" line in the automatically created /etc/yaboot.conf, then continue with your original file.

I don't know why, but ofpath was unable to find the proper path after booting from the live cd, whereas yabootconfig did report it correctly.

Did you boot into OF directly and look there, too?
fw146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Al wrote:
fw146 wrote:
If you still have not found your fw-disk. repeat this for other aliases with firewire in their expansions. Let me know how it works out.
Cheers!

I was able to install Gentoo Linux 2005.0 quite easily onto my external firewire drive. The only thing special I had to do was add a serialize_io=1 option to the sbp2 module.

However, I can't list my drive in OF (even after probing). It's not in /proc/device-tree either, and ofpath says it can't find the SCSI driver for sbp2.

Any ideas?

Not sure about ofpath. Never really used it. However, the drive should be visible in OF. Is this by any chance "user-installed" firewire card? If it is, and if it happens to be a "PC" card, you will not be able to boot from it. The difference between the PC and Mac varieties, now-a-days, is the BIOS versus open-firmware support. You can google the info, but the short version is that you can use the PC PCI cards in Mac as long as you do not need them at boot time. You can, of course, acess it once the kernel is up and the relevant drivers are loaded/initialized.

If the above is indeed the correct situation, my recommendation is to put the ofboot as well as the "boot" partitions on the internal drive.

Hope this helps.
Sir Al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fw146 wrote:
Is this by any chance "user-installed" firewire card?

No, it's the internal firewire chipset on an AlBook. The firewire device (fw) is listed in OF, but the drive itself isn't. Disk Utility in OS X gives an OF path to the drive, but when booting into OF, the device isn't listed.

Could it be that the firewire device isn't compatible with OF or doesn't have the capability/compatibility to boot from?

Thanks
MSI TV@nywhere TV Tuner
fw146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Al wrote:
fw146 wrote:
Is this by any chance "user-installed" firewire card?

No, it's the internal firewire chipset on an AlBook. The firewire device (fw) is listed in OF, but the drive itself isn't. Disk Utility in OS X gives an OF path to the drive, but when booting into OF, the device isn't listed.

Could it be that the firewire device isn't compatible with OF or doesn't have the capability/compatibility to boot from?

Thanks

Hmmm..... Don't take this to be for a fact, for its more of an educated guess....
The firewire-device does not need any compatibility with OF. Same goes for booting capability. If the OF properly supports the host side firewire controller, i.e. in you case the AlBook's interface, it should be able to boot from a firewire drive. Of course to boot from a device OF must see it first :|
The interface between the firewire controller and the firewire-bridge on the external drive is at the hardware level, in a manner of speaking. OF doesn't need to know anything about that.

Do you happen to have any other firewire devices? A video camera perhaps? you can plug that in, and make sure OF sees it. Maybe your external drive has a long initialisation time? Wait for a few seconds, even a minute (ridiculous, I know), and probe again.

If you managed to get yaboot on to the external drive, press and hold the option key at boot time to see if it comes up as one of the choices.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas :( You can google your external drive to find the firewire bridge on it. Perhaps some known problems with it ... If you do, please, and I repeat, please post it to this forum!
Sir Al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fw146 wrote:
Do you happen to have any other firewire devices? A video camera perhaps? you can plug that in, and make sure OF sees it. Maybe your external drive has a long initialisation time? Wait for a few seconds, even a minute (ridiculous, I know), and probe again.

Interesting, so I guess it should theoretically boot from the drive. I will try an iPod and see if OF sees it...

I'll also try to install OS X on the external drive and see if it boots (maybe yaboot didn't install properly).

However, I have to recover some data from the hard drive first. I wanted to format a partition with HFS+ using Disk Utility, but didn't realize that it doesn't support any other file systems. In the end, the whole drive got formatted and I had some important data on an HFS+ (journaled) partition. So far I only found one utility called VirtualLab that is capable of finding the original files, but they want me to pay 2000 USD for the recovery. It shouldn't be that hard to recover them since almost none of the data got overwritten, just reformatted. I'm trying to find other utilities or ways of "unformatting" the drive. Not much support for HFS+ out there compared to NTFS, FAT32, or ext2/3.

Quote:
You can google your external drive to find the firewire bridge on it. Perhaps some known problems with it ... If you do, please, and I repeat, please post it to this forum!

Yeah, I'll post all my findings and solutions if I find any (right after I recover my data :().
MSI TV@nywhere TV Tuner
Sir Al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fw146 wrote:
Do you happen to have any other firewire devices?

I just tried it with my iPod, it got recognized fine in OF without any wait time (using FireWire of course). I also installed OS X onto the external hard drive and checked if it came up as a boot choice when holding Option upon booting. However, I could not get it to boot from it, even though in System Preferences under Startup Disk, it's an available option.

While in OF I tried to probe the drive, and it gave back an error
Code:
probe
bad Bus info CRC-16 ok

I guess there is a problem with this FireWire controller and OF. It's surprising because this is not a cheap one and is specifically supported for OS X (I assumed booting, too). I don't think there is any solution other than getting a new one, what do you think?

fw146 wrote:
The firewire-device does not need any compatibility with OF. Same goes for booting capability.

Maybe it does?
MSI TV@nywhere TV Tuner
fw146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Al wrote:

I just tried it with my iPod, it got recognized fine in OF without any wait time (using FireWire of course). I also installed OS X onto the external hard drive and checked if it came up as a boot choice when holding Option upon booting. However, I could not get it to boot from it, even though in System Preferences under Startup Disk, it's an available option.

While in OF I tried to probe the drive, and it gave back an error
Code:
probe
bad Bus info CRC-16 ok

I guess there is a problem with this FireWire controller and OF. It's surprising because this is not a cheap one and is specifically supported for OS X (I assumed booting, too). I don't think there is any solution other than getting a new one, what do you think?

So even with the option depressed at boot, you could not see the OS-X on firewire as an option? Or you could see it, but it would not boot? If the drive is under warranty, and if os-X does not boot from it, I think you should be able to get it replaced.
Perhaps you can try this too... At the OF prompt
Code:
dev fw
reset-bus
probe
ls

reset-bus may not be the correct command, it may be reset-all. To get a list of all OF commands do
Code:
dev fw
.words

Sir Al wrote:

fw146 wrote:
The firewire-device does not need any compatibility with OF. Same goes for booting capability.

Maybe it does?

Maybe.... But I still don't think so.
Sir Al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fw146 wrote:
So even with the option depressed at boot, you could not see the OS-X on firewire as an option? Or you could see it, but it would not boot?

I could not see the option at all, it never appeared.
Quote:
If the drive is under warranty, and if os-X does not boot from it, I think you should be able to get it replaced.

I doubt it because no where did they claim the ability to be able to boot from the drive and it's just an enclosure (which works pretty much the same way a "true" external hard drive does). I've read some stories with people operating FireWire drives and even some LaCie FW drives didn't boot OS X until after a firmware upgrade. The maker of my enclosure does not make any firmware updates.
Quote:
Sir Al wrote:

fw146 wrote:

Maybe it does?

Maybe.... But I still don't think so.

Your reasoning makes sense because OF should access the drive like any other software, and should see it connected also. Disk utility even gives the OF path to the drive in the info section, but that path does not exist when you boot into OF. Clearly there must be something different in the way OF probes or accesses the drive compared to Linux / OS X. Do you by any chance know what Bus error CRC-16 could mean? Maybe it's a timing issue.

I'll try playing around some more with OF, but from what it looks like, I might have to get another enclosure.
MSI TV@nywhere TV Tuner
fw146
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Al wrote:

Your reasoning makes sense because OF should access the drive like any other software, and should see it connected also. Disk utility even gives the OF path to the drive in the info section, but that path does not exist when you boot into OF. Clearly there must be something different in the way OF probes or accesses the drive compared to Linux / OS X. Do you by any chance know what Bus error CRC-16 could mean? Maybe it's a timing issue.

I'll try playing around some more with OF, but from what it looks like, I might have to get another enclosure.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the bus error mean. Yes, it could be a timing issue. Or the enclosure/chip is buggy, and the linux/OS-X drivers have a work-around for it.

I use a 2.5" IOgear ION usb/firewire enclosure which works fine. FYI I had some problem with the IOgear. The OF did not recognize it every now and then. Thankfully it stopped working altogether while in warranty, and I could get it replaced :). Much harder to get things replaced when they fail intermittently.
I hope you have better luck with a different enclosure, if you choose to buy one.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: