Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Preferred Gentoo/KDE alternative to gnome-disk?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: [Solved] Preferred Gentoo/KDE alternative to gnome-disk? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have grown custom to gnome-disk-utility and would like to find something similar. I did in fact install it, but it fails due to a bug in a lib it seems; https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/62749

So if someone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it, thanks

Last edited by G3nt00 on Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plz consider
Code:

sys-block/gparted

asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way better: sys-block/partitionmanager
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alamahant wrote:
Plz consider
Code:

sys-block/gparted

Spot on! Thank you :)
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Way better: sys-block/partitionmanager

I did find and try this. I found it not as easy, what makes you think it is better? More capable?

I can't figure out how to encrypt partitions with gParted though... Will hit the docs for that one
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So trying out Partitionmanager as I need encryption, but it gives me issues. It does not exatly show if or what it's doing... When creating a LUKS partition it jumps to 20% and just sits there. Shall I just give it time?

I can see this in the console

Code:
"Device found: DataTraveler 2.0"
smartctl initialization failed for  "/dev/sdc" :  Resource temporarily unavailable
error during smart output parsing for  "/dev/sdc" :  Resource temporarily unavailable
"Scan finished."
"Add operation: Create a new partition (14,43 GiB, luks) on ‘/dev/sdc’"
kf.notifications: Failed to play sound with canberra: Not available
"Applying operations..."

Perhaps not the best output, or is this to be expected?

Still at 20% after 5 minutes... Also, when I started, the USB was found as /dev/sda. Now it's suddenly sdc... I am careful to umount before removing them, but they seem to linger still. Aborting...

So restarted "KDE Partition Manager" and now it finds /dev/sdd...?? But when issuing a mount as root I see no traces of any of the prior ones... Any idea anyone?

Edit: Not before I cancel and unplugs the device it reports as done. And strangely enough it seems it has since long created the LUKS partition too, just not updated it's GUI... Would this be due to me missing some packets or utility perhaps?

Edit2: No, it just reports it as a LUKS. When instead checking with other tools it's still fat32, so nothing has been done to it... strange... how can I debug this?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G3nt00 wrote:
I did find and try this. I found it not as easy, what makes you think it is better? More capable?

It is the correct answer to your thread topic, you made no qualification for how easy or full-featured it should be.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
G3nt00 wrote:

It is the correct answer to your thread topic, you made no qualification for how easy or full-featured it should be.

I hope I did not offend you, that was not my intent at all, sorry if so. And no, you are correct in that I did not thoroughly specify more than "similar", which many of these apps are.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gnome Disks on KDE. You can still use Gnome Disks (gnome-disks-utility) in KDE Plasma as well as other GTK and Gnome apps if desired. It should be a non-issue.
Some people have an aversion to mixing GTK/QT apps especially regards to theming. If you are using dark theme, you can add GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark to the environment variables in the start menu entry for Gnome Disks. You may need to also install x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard-3.28 for some GTK apps and select adwaita (or adwaita-dark) in the drop-down list at System Settings>Application Style>Configure Gnome/GTK Application Style.

Gnome Disks is a nifty tool with some very unique features. I think KDE Partition Manager is fine, but it is more of a clone of Gparted.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:
I use Gnome Disks on KDE. You can still use Gnome Disks (gnome-disks-utility) in KDE Plasma as well as other GTK and Gnome apps if desired. It should be a non-issue.
Some people have an aversion to mixing GTK/QT apps especially regards to theming. If you are using dark theme, you can add GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark to the environment variables in the start menu entry for Gnome Disks. You may need to also install x11-themes/gnome-themes-standard-3.28 for some GTK apps and select adwaita (or adwaita-dark) in the drop-down list at System Settings>Application Style>Configure Gnome/GTK Application Style.

Gnome Disks is a nifty tool with some very unique features. I think KDE Partition Manager is fine, but it is more of a clone of Gparted.

This time when I tried it again I did not get the above error... which is all the better as I like this the best! Thanks for making me try again! And it did tell a story the other two did not... Apparently there has been some weird block devices created when messing around. They are the sizes of the USBs that had issues, one 4GB and three of 15GB. Question is where they are and if it's just a simple delete action to be rid of them...? That explains why my USB now mounts as sde...

The stray devices look like this; "/dev/mapper/luks-80dcd090-1f25-45f8-96aa-2f9a3c7e0d3d". Could/should I simply delete those?
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get any errors in Gnome Disks on Gentoo, you may need to install additional packages, for example sys-apps/gptfdisk or sys-fs/dosfstools.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:
If you get any errors in Gnome Disks on Gentoo, you may need to install additional packages, for example sys-apps/gptfdisk or sys-fs/dosfstools.

Thanks, I will look into what these will add, right now it seems to work as I'd expect/need it to. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: