72%  [ 16 ]
No
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 22

stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Where do you host your code? Reply with quote

I host all my code on github:
https://github.com/stefan11111

But recently I saw this:
Quote:
GitHub users are now required to enable two-factor authentication as an additional security measure. Your activity on GitHub includes you in this requirement. You will need to enable two-factor authentication on your account before October 06, 2023, or be restricted from account actions.

There are obvious problems with this:
It's another proprietary app on my phone.
In case I lose my phone, my github is gone.
Another change forced on users.

So this means that it's time to go.
The question is where to?

I would rather self-host, but I am behind CGNAT. If you know of a way to get around that, I will try it. I do have ipv6.

Other that that. what service would you recommend I use to host my code?

Last edited by stefan11111 on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Github for me is a real on-go, i don't like it's current owner. For me this illustrates the problem with services like that, you might be ok with a service now, but that can change outside your control.
By the way: 2FA does not necessarily mean a proprietary app, it depends on the implementation. If they use TOTP that's an official standard and there are a lot of free (as in freedom) implementations for that.

I'm using a VPS with cgit to host some repo's, but that doesn't have all the functions github has. There are other options for self-hosting, and i guess a VPS might be a solution for you CGNAT problem. IPv6 could work, but keep in mind some users are still on IPv4-only networks.

Other alternative services could be gitlab (https://about.gitlab.com/) or source hut (https://sr.ht/).

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
shadowless
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the 2FA, I use Aegis on an Android phone (I'm pretty sure there are similar iOS alternatives).

https://getaegis.app/
It is free and open source (GPL). You can backup the contents of the "vault" to a file, and save it anywhere you like (desktop/laptop/server, external hdd, whatever). With this, if you lose your phone... you can still get your account access back.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Aruba used to have dirt-cheap VPS, so that's an option for self-managed hosting, might be worth checking out if they still offer something like that (their user interface absolutely sucks though, and cheap vps don't offer any easy way to install your own system; gotta get creative to escape the default templates).
2. Apparently, gitlab offers free hosting for small projects, 10 GB transfer is a bit tight, but still good enough for a personal overlay.

That's it from me for now.
I actually wonder how many people here maintain private overlays or publish their own programs. I think gentoo actually lacks some good catalogue of community packages. I do know zugaina exists, but quite frankly I'm not too happy with it.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:

I actually wonder how many people here maintain private overlays or publish their own programs. I think gentoo actually lacks some good catalogue of community packages. I do know zugaina exists, but quite frankly I'm not too happy with it.

I can add a poll for that.

What do the gentoo devs think about this change?
I know ::gentoo and other gentoo projects are hosted on github.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two-factor authentication has been a requirement for the Gentoo project for quite a long while now, but luckily it doesn't mean one needs to purchases a smartphone for it (I use 'oathtool').

See for example:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Two-factor_authentication

I would definitely prefer something else than GitHub, like GitLab for example, but the latter does have some annoying disadvantages in that it is completely broken without JavaScript, uses infinite scroll for commit history, and other not-so-fun UI decisions to mention a few.

I pretty much work with non-personal projects though, so I'm not entirely sure where I would host my things...
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with github, switched to gitlab for obvious reasons then finally recently signed up with codeberg to report an issue.

My aim there is to have atomic per package repositories (in progress).

Additionally I wish to bind my portage config /usr/local trees and which current manual maintenance is binded to alias/scripts using emacs. app-emacs/magit-popup is there already. (work undone).
kolibri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a "Hetzner" root server in their datacentre which is running Gentoo of course and hosts my gitea, but yet only private repos.

But hosting a gitea on a raspi or such would work just fine, too.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolibri wrote:
I have a "Hetzner" root server in their datacentre which is running Gentoo of course and hosts my gitea, but yet only private repos.

But hosting a gitea on a raspi or such would work just fine, too.

Code:
$ doas rc-service gitea start
 * Caching service dependencies ...                                                                                                                                                                                                      [ ok ]
 * Starting gitea ...
 * start-stop-daemon: user `git' not found
 * Failed to start gitea                                                                                                                                                                                                                 [ !! ]
 * ERROR: gitea failed to start

Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you both set USE=-acct on www-apps/gitea and not create the user by hand? The ebuild seems to default to USE=acct, so this should work out of the box.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Did you both set USE=-acct on www-apps/gitea and not create the user by hand? The ebuild seems to default to USE=acct, so this should work out of the box.

I did that. Figured it out.
Now I have to see how I allow access with ipv6.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump this bug report to get 1.20 in the tree: https://bugs.gentoo.org/911419
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I host my code and push it to github as a mirror

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a paid account on sr.ht, and have been gradually moving my stuff there. i find the UX has some rough edges, but overall i prefer the email-based workflow, even though i've had a few teething issues. i like the idea of not forcing users to set up an account just to report an issue, submit a contribution, etc.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
I would definitely prefer something else than GitHub, like GitLab for example, but the latter does have some annoying disadvantages in that it is completely broken without JavaScript, uses infinite scroll for commit history, and other not-so-fun UI decisions to mention a few.
For me, github has been effectively completely broken without javascript for quite some time. It used to work that I could browse projects and view sub-directories and files within them. Now, when I enter a directory, no content is displayed (only page header / footer type elements). The same results occur when trying to view a file from the parent directory, although if you can manage to find a full url, they can be manually changed to get to the "raw" text.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
For me, github has been effectively completely broken without javascript for quite some time. It used to work that I could browse projects and view sub-directories and files within them. Now, when I enter a directory, no content is displayed (only page header / footer type elements). The same results occur when trying to view a file from the parent directory, although if you can manage to find a full url, they can be manually changed to get to the "raw" text.

While I do not like javascript and the idea that a webpage should use megabytes upon megabytes of ram for god knows what "modern" element, I am not that committed to the cause. I do use noscript but I let some stuff through.
Do use use the forum without javascript?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. In the past, I haven't. The only thing I've found that doesn't work are the bbcode "shortcuts."

I do let some jaascript run, but github isn't one of those. That it recently (months?) worked well enough suggests intentional breaking of an interface that did work (the intent may have been "laziness" rather than blocking users, though I wouldn't bet on it given the "benefits" of forcing js).
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I do. In the past, I haven't. The only thing I've found that doesn't work are the bbcode "shortcuts."

I do let some jaascript run, but github isn't one of those. That it recently (months?) worked well enough suggests intentional breaking of an interface that did work (the intent may have been "laziness" rather than blocking users, though I wouldn't bet on it given the "benefits" of forcing js).

By "benefits", you mean easier tracking or something else?
May I ask what browser you use?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

Oh, right... they "improved" file browsing a while back. Seems very broken now indeed.

Been a while since I tried GitHub without JavaScript enabled, since indeed, so many things are very much unusable then, so I do generally allow it at least for the sites I actually use.

stefan11111 wrote:
Do use use the forum without javascript?

Sometimes when I forgot I disabled it. :]

It should be possible with phpBB-3, too, if... I mean when we get there.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
By "benefits", you mean easier tracking or something else?
May I ask what browser you use?
Tracking and control. The former will be used to enforce the latter.

I use uBlock, which as far as is only functional with one web reader attachment.

In case that has a sudden seizure (of either kind) I also have others installed:
brave, elinks, librewolf, links, lynx, netsurf, vivaldi, w3m

The text based options are mainly for "in case of emergency, break glass."
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of ublock making a browser.
You seem to have quite a lot of browsers installed.
If you compiled all of them, it seems like a lot of time was spent. Probably more than it takes to rebuild my whole system.
Can't you just install browsers as needed, instead of having them all installed at once?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uBlock doesn't make a browser. I was avoiding the name to emphasize what I'm using. Without uBlock, I'd use the internet only if unavoidable.

Waiting to install something until you need it seems a bit late. Especially if it needs to be compiled.

Previously I would periodically install Vivaldi or some other Chromium based browser to see if they implemented a usable UI. Since none appear to be interested in doing so, I usually end up uninstalling them after an update or two. I know I don't like Vivaldi, so I can probably uninstall it. I haven't used the others enough to form an opinion.

I read a news item a while back about someone having received funding to create a browser without relying on existing browsers or engines. I don't recall the name, but I'll be curious to see if there are any follow-up stories about it.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ublock and noscript. Too much bloat and "fancy" stuff.
I use palemoon right now, but I haven't used cromium-based browsers since my windows days other that to test them.
Yet somehow, the chromium engine is a must have for 65% of web users.
Otherwise, we wouldn't have such isues:
https://github.com/chromium/chromium/commit/6f47a22906b2899412e79a2727355efa9cc8f5bd
By the way, are the gentoo sites in danger of adopting this "feature"?

Also, you might be interested in this:
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ematrix/
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Google Origin Trials evokes... some thoughts.

Although I can't make sense of what that actually means... forcing "features"?

I have no idea what Gentoo may or may not implement. Given that upgrading phpbb has been delayed for a long time (decades?), it seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.

My memory of Plaemoon was that they were "unfriendly" to Gentoo users because of compiling, so there's that. If they support something like uMatrix, I'd have to reconsider (I actually primarily use uMatrix because I don't understand uBlock. The latter provides updated lists I guess).
q3cpma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2FA, I had to setup it once for GitLab (even worse than GH, ew) and used the FOSS app-admin/pass-opt with success, even if I had a lot of pain in the process, needing media-gfx/zbar to decode the QRcode that didn't have its contents available in plaintext form.

For code hosting, I currently pay for SourceHut, though I'm not a big fan of its slowed development and lack of internal links between every project areas.
My big issue with codeberg/gitlab/notabug/etc.. is the lack of granual Atom/RSS feeds like GH (I only want to see new commits to a specific branch, for example).

In the future, I'll probably rent a VPS to run cgit/stagit with a mailing list or bugzilla/mantis. Anyone knows a mailing list software that allows static HTML generation of its archives, by the way?

Chiitoo wrote:

Oh, right... they "improved" file browsing a while back. Seems very broken now indeed.

Been a while since I tried GitHub without JavaScript enabled, since indeed, so many things are very much unusable then, so I do generally allow it at least for the sites I actually use.

Worse thing is that markdown rendering is also broken by the new JS "improvements". Unlike Reddit, they don't even have an "old" subdomain emergency hatch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: