Still trying to understand kernel update process
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tckosvic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Still trying to understand kernel update process Reply with quote

I am running emerge @world processs. I noticed that the emerge downloaded kernel 6.4.12 sources. I am running 6.4.11. so these are new.

First question is, are kernel sources included always in @world. As I look at handbook, the world file description does not include kernel sources. The world file includes many "sets" that include /system but nothing names kernel.. Listing of the contents of /system set in the handbook does not indicate kernel sources. What set of world are the kernel sources in? Will the new 6.4.12 sources get compiled and installed along with updated installed packages? Do you need to do anything special for the kernel sources to get installed and running.?

Other text I read from handbook seemed to say that install of new kernel sources was a separate and distinct process from emerge @world. There is a separate download and compile process description with alternate compile processes. If compiled with @world, what alternative is used.?

Just need some pointers and the proper refs to look at so I can understand what I am doing.

thanks, tom kosvic
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread you wrote:
tckosvic wrote:
Solved: system now running 6.4.11 kernel

Removed all references to kernels except 6.3.8. that ran. Did full manual install straight from steps for Manual Install in handbook, i. e., emerge gentoo-source, make menucobfig (no changes), make && make modules, make install. Made initramfs through dracut. Did grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg, reboot.

grub booted to 6.4.11 as main entry.

So, you have emerged gentoo-sources(-6.4.11) and your "emerge -u @world gave you "gentoo-sources-6.4.12 (this is your new kernel ... at the moment only as source code and NOT configured, compiled and installed) ... and you should see it in your /var/lib/portage/world file.
You can also check with:
Code:
# eix -c --selected
# eix -c --system
# eix -c --world
# eix -c --installed-testing

what you have ... ;-) (--selected == /var/lib/portage/world)

To do the correct update you have to do:

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/Manual_kernel_configuration#Cheat_Sheets
(of course you dont need "emerge -1uvDp gentoo-sources" anymore, because it is already updated with your "emerge -u @world")

AND ... BEFORE the reboot

2. Make your initramfs with dracut

P.S.: If you want change something in your kernel configuration, take a look in this thread (we just had yesterday):
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1164798-highlight-.html
tckosvic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pletinger,

1. I hosed up my system again and it won't boot. The cheat sheet did not include the "dracut" step and I skipped it. It locks in boot with same messages as before. I restarted in 6.4.11 kernel in grub and went back and ran the "dracut" step and it did not correct and find the boot directory.

Why does a developer cheat sheet not have the correct command sequence in it (no dracut step)? Shouldn't this be corrected? I missed the admonition in your message reply to run dracut while I was looking at the cheat sheet.

Is there a way to recover from this.? Else I will delete all reference to 6.4.12 and redo the previous manual kernel install steps as I did previously with 6.4.11

2. It appears, two kernels were generated using provided steps from cheat sheet. These were 6.4.12-gentoo and 6.4.12-gentoo-dist. What are the differences? Which should eselect be directed to? Should I run dracut in each kernel directory?

thanks, tom kosvic
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tckosvic,

configuring your own kernel needs some knowledge and experience ... at the end it take its time ;-)

Therefore Gentoo gives you a perfect solution with our bin-kernel (6.4.12-gentoo-dist). See more here:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel/de#Distribution_kernels and
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Distribution_Kernel
You have done this, so you have either gentoo-kernel or gentoo-kernel-bin in your /var/lib/portage/world. If you do an "emerge -u @world" you will get the new version. This should be sufficient and there is no need to do additionally a manual installation ... but you acn do what you want ... ;-)

So, you have done a manual installation also ... with one very specific addition: dracut (I dont recommend). Usually a manual installation is done without dracut. Why ?

1. Many User dont want an initramfs and configure their kernel, so they dont need it (see my first sentence).
2. Some User want more flexibility but dont want to configure their kernel completely. These users choose our third method: Genkernel. But even then you need some knowledge about kernel configuration.

My CheatSheet is ONLY for Users which have done a completely manual installation ... but it can be used also for users with some special solutions ... therefore I have added:
Quote:
AND ... BEFORE the reboot

2. Make your initramfs with dracut

Indpendent which solution you use you must ALWAYS reconfigure your grub (at the end of every configuration and installation). Maybe you have done your intiramfs with dracut AFTER your grub-mkconfig ... so grub-mkconfig was not able to find your new initramfs ?

If you carefully read all links you have got now, you will surely be able to decide what you want.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: