View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: problem with suspend Reply with quote

I have had the problem already for a long time: no Keyboard and mouse after resuming from suspend. In that case I can only press the power button to forcely shut down the computer, and after reboot no information can be found in ~/.local/share/log/xorg/Xorg.0.log. Recently I found some error-reports by using dmesg --level="err":
Code:

[    0.140709] x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.
[    2.335667] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: UCSI_GET_PDOS failed (-95)
[    2.371092] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: possible UCSI driver bug 1
[    2.371104] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: UCSI_GET_PDOS failed (-22)

Are these relevant to my problem? If yes, how can I make the corrections to remove these errors? Your valuable suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
For further information of my system settings:
the whole output of dmesg: https://bpa.st/XZNA
emerge-info: https://bpa.st/FMSQ[u]
and /usr/src/linux/.conf: http://dpaste.com/88QCA2YTF
jpsollie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 2 things to consider:
- is your keyboard and mouse working correctly? I'd suggest: when you're stuck, try to see if numlock switches on / off when your PC is stuck.
- is your kernel still alive when it's stuck? can you somehow ssh (or even ping) your PC when you are stuck?
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpsollie wrote:
there are 2 things to consider:
- is your keyboard and mouse working correctly? I'd suggest: when you're stuck, try to see if numlock switches on / off when your PC is stuck.
- is your kernel still alive when it's stuck? can you somehow ssh (or even ping) your PC when you are stuck?

Thank you for your reply.
when my PC is stuck, I can switches on / off numlock, and type anything on terminal, I can also exit terminal. But I cannot run any command including SSH, for example, firefox: command not found; vim: Input/Output error.
I can also run dmesg --level="err", it displays much errors than in the normal state, since running command is not possible, I cannot copy the whole output to any editor, I just wrote down some of them, such as "unable to change power state fromD3hot to D0, device inaccessible"; "EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p3): I/O error while writing block 0, lost sync page write". (nvme0n1p3 is my root partition)
I am very appreciated for your further help.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested many different methods suggested in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Suspend_and_hibernate, none of them works for me with one exception: echo disk > /sys/power/state. This saves my current working sessions and after rebooting afterwards, all opened windows will be resumed again. If no any better solution is available, I will keep this method.

Last edited by sumati on Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not explicitly underline URLs. The forum can automatically link common URL types, if you leave them in free text. Explicitly underlining them prevents that.

Your I/O error seems to me like your mass storage device becomes inaccessible after resume, so anything that requires disk I/O is broken. Inability to enter via ssh is probably because not enough of the ssh path is cached in memory, so disk input would be required to complete it. An ssh session started before suspend might remain usable afterward, subject to the same failures you saw on the console.

Suspending to disk causes the computer to power off at the end, and on thaw, you go through the full firmware power-on, which includes bringing your mass storage device online. My guess would be that when you suspend, your system is incorrectly placing the mass storage device in a mode from which it does not recover on resume. I cannot say whether this is a firmware bug or a Linux kernel bug, but it seems unlikely that a kernel bug like that would persist for long if it affected common hardware.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Please do not explicitly underline URLs. The forum can automatically link common URL types, if you leave them in free text. Explicitly underlining them prevents that.

Your I/O error seems to me like your mass storage device becomes inaccessible after resume, so anything that requires disk I/O is broken. Inability to enter via ssh is probably because not enough of the ssh path is cached in memory, so disk input would be required to complete it. An ssh session started before suspend might remain usable afterward, subject to the same failures you saw on the console.

Suspending to disk causes the computer to power off at the end, and on thaw, you go through the full firmware power-on, which includes bringing your mass storage device online. My guess would be that when you suspend, your system is incorrectly placing the mass storage device in a mode from which it does not recover on resume. I cannot say whether this is a firmware bug or a Linux kernel bug, but it seems unlikely that a kernel bug like that would persist for long if it affected common hardware.

Thanks! The underline is a typo, I have corrected. Thank you also for your explanation. If it is a firmware bug, what can I do? Any further suggestions?
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by reviewing all the firmware configuration knobs to see if anything related to power-saving could explain the drive not resuming properly. Next, I would check whether there are any documented issues with Windows and S3 on this motherboard. Perhaps it is broken there too, and a firmware update will fix it.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I would start by reviewing all the firmware configuration knobs to see if anything related to power-saving could explain the drive not resuming properly. Next, I would check whether there are any documented issues with Windows and S3 on this motherboard. Perhaps it is broken there too, and a firmware update will fix it.

hi, I tried to find the problem in respect to firmware, the result is:
Code:
# dmesg | grep -i firmware
[    0.273691] ACPI: [Firmware Bug]: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
[    5.555832] Loading firmware: i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin
[    5.557397] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Finished loading DMC firmware i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin (v1.4)
[    7.611784] Loading firmware: regulatory.db
[    7.611895] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2

and then, updated firmware by using fwupd following https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fwupd, but no change has been made. Most likely these are not enough or even not related to my problem. Can you give me some further suggestions?
The HP computer is pre-installed with Windows, but I have removed the Windows system, now only two Linux systems are installed, nvme0n1p3 is gentoo, and nvme0n1p4 is void, when running void, there is no problem, but it is a little bit slower than gentoo. So, I will remove void after solving all problems in gentoo.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
I tested many different methods suggested in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Suspend_and_hibernate, none of them works for me with one exception: echo disk > /sys/power/state. This saves my current working sessions and after rebooting afterwards, all opened windows will be resumed again. If no any better solution is available, I will keep this method.

This is hibernate, which means hibernate on your system works.

What do

Code:
cat /sys/power/state

and

Code:
cat /sys/power/mem_sleep

say?

Your kernel config link has expired. Please post it again.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
hi, I tried to find the problem in respect to firmware, the result is:
That is not what I meant. I meant that you should cold boot the system, press the key to enter the firmware's diagnostics/configuration area, and explore that for relevant configuration settings.
sumati wrote:
nvme0n1p3 is gentoo, and nvme0n1p4 is void, when running void, there is no problem, but it is a little bit slower than gentoo. So, I will remove void after solving all problems in gentoo.
That is very useful information. Prior to this, it appeared that Linux just did not work well on this system. If Void Linux works well, then Gentoo can be made to work well. Reviewing the difference in kernel configuration between Void and Gentoo might be informative.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
sumati wrote:

This is hibernate, which means hibernate on your system works.
What do
Code:
cat /sys/power/state

and
Code:
cat /sys/power/mem_sleep

say?
Your kernel config link has expired. Please post it again.
Best Regards,
Georgi

Hi Georgi, thank you for your questions which would often build a bridge leading to solving the problem.
Yes, this is hibernate, but only this type of hibernate works, not other more directly ones, like "loginctl hibernate", this would be the same as shut-down. And more important for me, any type of suspend does not work, this is my main problem.
cat /sys/power/state:
Code:
freeze mem disk

cat /sys/power/mem_sleep:
Code:
s2idle [deep]

and my new kernel config link : http://dpaste.com/2W4QFM3LD

Other information:
Code:
~$ lscpu
Architecture:            x86_64
  CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
  Address sizes:         39 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
  Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                  16
  On-line CPU(s) list:   0-15
Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
  Model name:            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz
    CPU family:          6
    Model:               165
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  8
    Socket(s):           1
    Stepping:            5
    CPU(s) scaling MHz:  58%
    CPU max MHz:         4800.0000
    CPU min MHz:         800.0000
    BogoMIPS:            5802.42
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xto
                         pology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lah
                         f_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid mpx rdseed adx smap clf
                         lushopt intel_pt xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp vnmi pku ospke md_clear flush_l1d arch_capabilities
Virtualization features:
  Virtualization:        VT-x
Caches (sum of all):     
  L1d:                   256 KiB (8 instances)
  L1i:                   256 KiB (8 instances)
  L2:                    2 MiB (8 instances)
  L3:                    16 MiB (1 instance)
NUMA:                   
  NUMA node(s):          1
  NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-15
Vulnerabilities:         
  Gather data sampling:  Mitigation; Microcode
  Itlb multihit:         KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled
  L1tf:                  Not affected
  Mds:                   Not affected
  Meltdown:              Not affected
  Mmio stale data:       Mitigation; Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
  Retbleed:              Mitigation; Enhanced IBRS
  Spec rstack overflow:  Not affected
  Spec store bypass:     Mitigation; Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl
  Spectre v1:            Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
  Spectre v2:            Mitigation; Enhanced / Automatic IBRS, IBPB conditional, RSB filling, PBRSB-eIBRS SW sequence
  Srbds:                 Mitigation; Microcode
  Tsx async abort:       Not affected

Code:
~$ emerge --info
Portage 3.0.51 (python 3.11.4-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop, gcc-13, glibc-2.37-r4, 6.4.10-gentoo-x86_64 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-6.4.10-gentoo-x86_64-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i7-10700_CPU_@_2.90GHz-with-glibc2.37
KiB Mem:    32636984 total,  29383844 free
KiB Swap:    8388604 total,   8388604 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 14:30:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: dff53419da7380b55046807ba451d9199eecff46
sh bash 5.2_p15-r6
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.41 p2) 2.41.0
app-misc/pax-utils:        1.3.7::gentoo
app-shells/bash:           5.2_p15-r6::gentoo
dev-java/java-config:      2.3.1-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:             5.38.0-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/python:           3.11.4::gentoo, 3.12.0_rc1_p3::gentoo
dev-lang/rust-bin:         1.71.1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:            3.27.3-r1::gentoo
dev-util/meson:            1.2.1-r1::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:       2.14::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:           0.48::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:          2.38::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:        2.71-r7::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:        1.16.5-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:        2.41-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.5::gentoo
sys-devel/clang:           16.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:             13.2.0::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:      2.11::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:         2.4.7-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/llvm:            16.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/make:            4.4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers:  6.4::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:            2.37-r4::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    volatile: False
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/apache2-php8.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php8.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php8.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/fpm-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/fpm-php8.2/ext-active/ /etc/php/phpdbg-php8.1/ext-active/ /etc/php/phpdbg-php8.2/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs binpkg-multi-instance buildpkg-live config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LEX="flex"
MAKEOPTS="-j16"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli crypt cups dbus dri dts dvd dvdr elogind emacs encode exif flac fortran gdbm gif gpm gtk gui iconv icu introspection ipv6 jpeg jumbo-build lcms libnotify libtirpc mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl nsddm ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds pulseaudio qt5 readline scanner sdl seccomp sound spell split-usr ssl startup-notification svg test-rust tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vim-syntax vorbis vulkan wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xft xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2021" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2 aes avx avx2 f16c fma3 pclmul popcnt rdrand sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php8-1" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres15" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_11" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby31" SANE_BACKENDS="hp" VIDEO_CARDS="intel radeon vesa" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq proto steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LD, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, LINGUAS, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

Best regards,
Sumati

Last edited by sumati on Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:19 am; edited 7 times in total
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I meant that you should cold boot the system, press the key to enter the firmware's diagnostics/configuration area, and explore that for relevant configuration settings.

Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean when boot the system, I should press the key to enter BIOS and find the information about firmware? I tried that, I cannot find such kind of information, the only option related to firmware is update firmware, but it says: "the system could not find one of the BIOS update binary files". Probably the original file has been removed when I removed the Windows system. But I think the BIOS settings should be OK, because, as I have said, the Void system on the same computer does not have any problem with suspend. The problem exists only in Gentoo system. What frustrates me is that I cannot find out where I did something wrong in the system settings.

Quote:
That is very useful information. Prior to this, it appeared that Linux just did not work well on this system. If Void Linux works well, then Gentoo can be made to work well. Reviewing the difference in kernel configuration between Void and Gentoo might be informative.

It is difficult for me to review the difference in kernel configuration between Void and Gentoo. If you can help me to find out something wrong in the Gentoo kernel configuration, I would be very grateful.
Additional to Gentoo and Void, I have other three partitions, all they are listed in fstab as follows:
Code:
#/dev/nvme0n1p1
#UUID=A022-66D9         /boot           vfat            noauto,noatime  1 2
#/dev/nvme0n1p3
UUID=6aa58093-efdd-4743-aa16-69a6d71f0927               /               ext4            noatime         1 2
#/dev/nvme0n1p2
UUID=67357175-c956-482f-ac15-f6605a47724b               none            swap            sw              0 0
#/dev/nvme0n1p4
UUID=5cf0f1d1-365d-4390-a68a-4d60f0216150               /voidroot       ext4            defaults                0 0
#/dev/nvme0n1p5
UUID=c93e135a-88bd-40df-917f-2419b701ac77               /data           ext4            defaults                0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp         tmpfs rw,nosuid,noatime,nodev,size=12G,mode=1777 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs rw,nosuid,noatime,nodev,size=12G,mode=775,uid=portage,gid=portage,x-mount.mkdir=775 0 0
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
sumati wrote:
nvme0n1p3 is gentoo, and nvme0n1p4 is void, when running void, there is no problem, but it is a little bit slower than gentoo. So, I will remove void after solving all problems in gentoo.

Hi Hu, related to the kernel configurations on both Void and Gentoo, the outputs of dmesg are different, but it displays that there are more errors on Void than Gentoo, but still Suspend works on Void, not Gentoo:
On Void:
Code:
# dmesg --level="err"
 [    1.966232] udevd[724]: GOTO 'libsane_rules_end' has no matching label in: '/etc/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules'
 [    1.975331] udevd[724]: GOTO 'libsane_rules_end' has no matching label in: '/etc/udev/rules.d/S99-2000S1.rules'
 [    2.083244] udevd[746]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event4' (scan code 0xc022d, key code 103): Invalid argument
 [    2.083806] udevd[746]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE on device node '/dev/input/event4' (scan code 0xc022e, key code 108): Invalid argument
 [    2.852499] udevd[897]: GOTO 'libsane_rules_end' has no matching label in: '/etc/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules'
 [    2.855263] udevd[897]: GOTO 'libsane_rules_end' has no matching label in: '/etc/udev/rules.d/S99-2000S1.rules'

On Gentoo
Code:
# dmesg --level="err"
[    0.140326] x86/cpu: SGX disabled by BIOS.
[    2.359826] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: UCSI_GET_PDOS failed (-95)
[    2.393927] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: possible UCSI driver bug 1
[    2.393937] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: UCSI_GET_PDOS failed (-22)

It seems to me that the three error reports concerning "ucsi_acpi" are relevant to my problem, right? If so, how can I remove these errors by change the kernel configuration?
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aditionally, I have the result of # dmesg | grep failed
Code:
[    2.322837] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: UCSI_GET_PDOS failed (-95)
[    2.358748] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: UCSI_GET_PDOS failed (-22)
[    7.008021] platform regulatory.0: Direct firmware load for regulatory.db failed with error -2
[    7.008023] cfg80211: failed to load regulatory.db
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if this might be related, but you need to emerge net-wireless/wireless-regdb.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean when boot the system, I should press the key to enter BIOS and find the information about firmware?
Not just find, but yes, explore the firmware to check for settings that can affect this. Some firmware allow things like tuning how thoroughly devices are powered down when in sleep states. Some may not. However, since Void Linux works, we can set aside this angle for now.
sumati wrote:
It is difficult for me to review the difference in kernel configuration between Void and Gentoo. If you can help me to find out something wrong in the Gentoo kernel configuration, I would be very grateful.
I cannot. I have no special background in this area.
sumati wrote:
Hi Hu, related to the kernel configurations on both Void and Gentoo, the outputs of dmesg are different, but it displays that there are more errors on Void than Gentoo, but still Suspend works on Void, not Gentoo:
Filtering for the kernel level of error may hide relevant messages. You may need to visually compare the full output of each system.
sumati wrote:
It seems to me that the three error reports concerning "ucsi_acpi" are relevant to my problem, right? If so, how can I remove these errors by change the kernel configuration?
I do not know. Fixing them is probably a good idea though. I do not know why it is failing, so I cannot advise how to fix it.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
I have no idea if this might be related, but you need to emerge net-wireless/wireless-regdb.

Best Regards,
Georgi

thank you, I tried your suggestion, but the wanted effect does not occur. By the way, my computer is cable connected.
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
sumati wrote:
Sorry, I don't understand. Do you mean when boot the system, I should press the key to enter BIOS and find the information about firmware?
Not just find, but yes, explore the firmware to check for settings that can affect this. Some firmware allow things like tuning how thoroughly devices are powered down when in sleep states. Some may not. However, since Void Linux works, we can set aside this angle for now.
sumati wrote:
I cannot. I have no special background in this area.
sumati wrote:
Filtering for the kernel level of error may hide relevant messages. You may need to visually compare the full output of each system.
sumati wrote:
I do not know. Fixing them is probably a good idea though. I do not know why it is failing, so I cannot advise how to fix it.

it's a pity, even though thank you very much.
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ucsi_acpi errors are for the USB Type C interface and may or may not indicate a problem.

Edit

PDO stands for Power Delivery Object
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jburns wrote:
The ucsi_acpi errors are for the USB Type C interface and may or may not indicate a problem.

Edit

I see, thanks! By the way, is regulatory.db related to the problem of suspend?
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumati wrote:
jburns wrote:

Edit

I see, thanks! By the way, is regulatory.db related to the problem of suspend?

If it didn't make a difference - it's not. I was just wild guessing as those kinds of issues are very hard to diagnose. I guessed you were using a laptop and this meant you 100% used wifi too, but if you don't then it's of no practical meaning.

EDIT: I took a quick look at Arch Linux wiki and something not very obvious immediately struck me - do you have intel lpss enables in your kernel? You kernel config link has once again expired.

Best Regards,
Georgi
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:

EDIT: I took a quick look at Arch Linux wiki and something not very obvious immediately struck me - do you have intel lpss enables in your kernel? You kernel config link has once again expired.
Best Regards,
Georgi

thanks for taking effort to help me. It seems to me that I have intel lpss enable. My kernel config file contains 10104 lines! Is it not normal? It is impossible to wgetpaste it on Gentoo system, I have to go to another system. Here are the selected lines containing LPSS:
Code:
 346 CONFIG_X86_INTEL_LPSS=y
 347 CONFIG_X86_AMD_PLATFORM_DEVICE=y
 348 CONFIG_IOSF_MBI=y
 4188 CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RSA=y
 4189 CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_DWLIB=y
 4190 CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_DW=y
 4191 CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_RT288X=y
 4192 CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_LPSS=m
 4193 CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_MID=y
 4194 CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PERICOM=y
 5049 CONFIG_LPC_SCH=m
 5050 CONFIG_MFD_INTEL_LPSS=m
 5051 CONFIG_MFD_INTEL_LPSS_ACPI=m
 5052 CONFIG_MFD_INTEL_LPSS_PCI=m
 8596 CONFIG_PWM_LPSS=m
 8597 CONFIG_PWM_LPSS_PCI=m
 8598 CONFIG_PWM_LPSS_PLATFORM=m
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

try setting this to yes. Also you don't need CONFIG_X86_AMD_PLATFORM_DEVICE, you're on Intel.

Another thing - try and see if it works with gentoo-kernel-bin. Also try reverting to and LTS kernel.

Best Regards,
Georgi
sumati
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Code:

try setting this to yes. Also you don't need CONFIG_X86_AMD_PLATFORM_DEVICE, you're on Intel.

Another thing - try and see if it works with gentoo-kernel-bin. Also try reverting to and LTS kernel.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Thanks! I changed the kernel configuration, and now they are all set "yes":
Code:
CONFIG_MFD_INTEL_LPSS=y
CONFIG_MFD_INTEL_LPSS_ACPI=y
CONFIG_MFD_INTEL_LPSS_PCI=y

however the wanted change does not occur. As for your another suggestion, switching to gentoo-kernel-bin and the LTS version, unfortunately they did not work either, actually I came from there with the hope that the new kernel would solve the problem. This is really a puzzling problem.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you boot with a live distribution, for example Ubuntu and see if it works there?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: