View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-6.1.4 enforces joystick keyword Reply with quote

For those who may have been hit but a conflict in libsdl2 while trying to upgrade to kde6 that came out today, note that kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-6.1.4 requires libsdl2[joystick] So if joystick USE flag is disabled in your setup, you get failure on update.

Now why, after 30 years of never having joystick on my systems I need to enable USE=joystick ??
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're free to set USE=-sdl on kde-plasma/plasma-desktop as well.

Newer software gains newer support.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:

Newer software gains newer support.

Did you see many servers, laptops or even desktops (besides gaming rigs) around with joystick for it to be mandatory ? So much for modularity of a great new software.

SDL is set by plasma profile, are you guaranteeing that KDE-6 plasma uses SDL if and only if there is a need for a joystick and no other purpose? So sdl USE flag should actually be named "joystick" ?
Otherwise, SDL can be used just fine without a joystick then why would the desktop environment make me compile it for hardware that I do not have?

I am looking how the update progresses on a test machine, and see quite a few of dependences that were not present before, and packages that I do not need (such as speech recognition). Will have to see how to get rid of them.
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why we're talking about servers in the context of plasma-desktop.

plasma-desktop recently gained support for game controllers (renamed and rewritten from the joystick module: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/commit/7fe5642bc3dda5d04e299c2f929c54642964bd22). which is handled by USE=sdl. If you don't need that, turn it off?

If you want to request the USE flag being changed, you can, but "feature vs dependency" on USE flag naming is sometimes a struggle to get the right balance on.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
I'm not sure why we're talking about servers in the context of plasma-desktop.

plasma-desktop recently gained support for game controllers (renamed and rewritten from the joystick module: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma-desktop/-/commit/7fe5642bc3dda5d04e299c2f929c54642964bd22). which is handled by USE=sdl. If you don't need that, turn it off?

If you want to request the USE flag being changed, you can, but "feature vs dependency" on USE flag naming is sometimes a struggle to get the right balance on.

Anyway, the point was that it my case it stopped KDE from clean upgrade since I had global -joystic from like my first installation, and required investigation. So I just wrote in case others in the same boat could see what causes it
pietinger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:

I have just tested it and unfortunately it is not enough to deselect the “joystick” use flag. It was necessary to deselect “sdl” globally to be able to deselect the use-flag “joystick”. :(
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
sam_ wrote:

I have just tested it and unfortunately it is not enough to deselect the “joystick” use flag. It was necessary to deselect “sdl” globally to be able to deselect the use-flag “joystick”. :(

I don't think you had to do it globally, you can do it on just plasma-desktop. Anyway, we'll discuss renaming USE=sdl -> USE=joystick, but I need to check SDL isn't used for anything else in plasma-desktop.
pietinger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
I don't think you had to do it globally, you can do it on just plasma-desktop. Anyway, we'll discuss renaming USE=sdl -> USE=joystick, but I need to check SDL isn't used for anything else in plasma-desktop.

When I put "kde-plasma/plasma-desktop -sdl" in my package.use (and delete -sdl from USE= in make.conf) then I get:

Code:
# emerge -uUDvp @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 8.56 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild   R    ] media-sound/mpg123-base-1.32.3::gentoo  USE="alsa sdl* (-coreaudio) -int-quality -ipv6 -jack -nas -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse (-3dnow) (-3dnowext) (-mmx)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-boot/grub-2.12-r4:2/2.12-r4::gentoo  USE="fonts nls sdl* themes truetype -device-mapper -doc -efiemu -libzfs -mount (-test) -verify-sig" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64 -coreboot -efi-32 -emu -ieee1275 (-loongson) -multiboot -pc -qemu (-qemu-mips) -uboot -xen -xen-32 -xen-pvh" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2::gentoo  USE="X alsa dbus gles2 opengl pipewire sound threads udev video vulkan wayland (-aqua) (-custom-cflags) -doc -fcitx4 -gles1 -haptic -ibus -jack -joystick* -kms -libsamplerate -nas -oss -pulseaudio -sndio -static-libs -test -xscreensaver" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 -3dnow" VIDEO_CARDS="(-vc4)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.68::gentoo  USE="X alsa opengl sound video -joystick -test" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-plugins/mpg123-output-plugins-1.32.3::gentoo  USE="alsa sdl* (-coreaudio) -int-quality -ipv6 -jack -nas -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse -3dnow -3dnowext" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/libmpeg2-0.5.1-r3::gentoo  USE="X sdl*" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-sound/mpg123-1.32.3-r100::gentoo  USE="alsa sdl* (-coreaudio) -jack -nas -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/ffmpeg-6.1.1-r8:0/58.60.60::gentoo  USE="X alsa bzip2 dav1d encode gnutls gpl iconv lcms lzma mp3 network opengl opus pic postproc sdl* svg theora threads truetype vaapi vorbis vpx vulkan webp x264 xvid zlib (-amf) -amr -amrenc (-appkit) -bluray -bs2b -cdio -chromaprint -chromium -codec2 -cpudetection (-cuda) -debug -doc -fdk -flite -fontconfig -frei0r -fribidi -gcrypt -glslang -gme -gmp -gsm -hardcoded-tables -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -jpegxl -kvazaar -ladspa -libaom -libaribb24 -libass -libcaca -libdrm -libilbc -libplacebo -librtmp -libsoxr -libtesseract -libv4l -libxml2 -lv2 (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) -modplug -nvenc -openal -opencl -openh264 -openssl -oss -pulseaudio (-qsv) -rav1e -rubberband -samba -shaderc -snappy -sndio -soc -speex -srt -ssh -static-libs -svt-av1 -test -twolame -v4l -vdpau -verify-sig -vidstab (-vmaf) -x265 -zeromq -zimg -zvbi" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -fma4 -xop" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart sidxindex trasher" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/openal-1.23.1-r1::gentoo  USE="alsa pipewire qt5 sdl* (-coreaudio) -debug -jack -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio -sndio" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse sse2 sse4_1" 0 KiB

Total: 9 packages (1 new, 8 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

media-libs/libsdl2:0

(media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="X alsa dbus gles2 opengl pipewire sound threads udev video vulkan wayland (-aqua) (-custom-cflags) -doc -fcitx4 -gles1 -haptic -ibus -jack -joystick -kms -libsamplerate -nas -oss -pulseaudio -sndio -static-libs -test -xscreensaver" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 -3dnow" VIDEO_CARDS="(-vc4)" pulled in by
    media-libs/libsdl2[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?,alsa=,joystick=,opengl=,sound=,video=,X=] required by (media-libs/libsdl-1.2.68:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="X alsa opengl sound video -joystick -test"
                                                                                                                                                              ^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

(media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="X alsa dbus gles2 joystick opengl pipewire sound threads udev video vulkan wayland (-aqua) (-custom-cflags) -doc -fcitx4 -gles1 -haptic -ibus -jack -kms -libsamplerate -nas -oss -pulseaudio -sndio -static-libs -test -xscreensaver" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 -3dnow" VIDEO_CARDS="(-vc4)" pulled in by
    >=media-libs/libsdl2-2.0.10:0[joystick,video,X] required by (games-strategy/wesnoth-1.18.2:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="dbus nls -dedicated -doc -server"
                                  ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

It might be possible to solve this slot collision
by applying all of the following changes:
   - media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2 (Change USE: +joystick)
   - media-libs/libsdl-1.2.68 (Change USE: +joystick)

sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's wesnoth needing libsdl2[joystick] and unrelated to KDE Plasma or any recent changes.
pietinger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
That's wesnoth needing libsdl2[joystick] and unrelated to KDE Plasma or any recent changes.

8O ... Big Thank you ! ...

BUT ... I cannot give the use-flag(s) "sdl" (and/or "joystick) to package "wesnoth":
Code:
# emerge -pvD wesnoth

Dependency resolution took 2.88 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild   R   ~] games-strategy/wesnoth-1.18.2::gentoo  USE="dbus nls -dedicated -doc -server" 0 KiB

... so this means: If I emerge this game I must set "sdl" (and joystick) globally ?
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you install wesnoth, you need to enable USE=joystick on media-libs/libsdl2 via package.use (or put it in make.conf to enable joystick globally).
pietinger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
If you install wesnoth, you need to enable USE=joystick on media-libs/libsdl2 via package.use (or put it in make.conf to enable joystick globally).

I did what you said:

1. No "-sdl" globally
2. In package-use:
Code:
media-libs/libsdl2 joystick
kde-plasma/plasma-desktop -sdl

and WITHOUT a globally "-sdl" I get:
Code:
# emerge -uUDvp @world

Dependency resolution took 8.54 s (backtrack: 0/20).

[ebuild   R    ] media-sound/mpg123-base-1.32.3::gentoo  USE="alsa sdl* (-coreaudio) -int-quality -ipv6 -jack -nas -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse (-3dnow) (-3dnowext) (-mmx)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-boot/grub-2.12-r4:2/2.12-r4::gentoo  USE="fonts nls sdl* themes truetype -device-mapper -doc -efiemu -libzfs -mount (-test) -verify-sig" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64 -coreboot -efi-32 -emu -ieee1275 (-loongson) -multiboot -pc -qemu (-qemu-mips) -uboot -xen -xen-32 -xen-pvh" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2::gentoo  USE="X alsa dbus gles2 opengl pipewire sound threads udev video vulkan wayland (-aqua) (-custom-cflags) -doc -fcitx4 -gles1 -haptic -ibus -jack -joystick* -kms -libsamplerate -nas -oss -pulseaudio -sndio -static-libs -test -xscreensaver" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 -3dnow" VIDEO_CARDS="(-vc4)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] media-libs/libsdl-1.2.68::gentoo  USE="X alsa opengl sound video -joystick -test" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-plugins/mpg123-output-plugins-1.32.3::gentoo  USE="alsa sdl* (-coreaudio) -int-quality -ipv6 -jack -nas -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse -3dnow -3dnowext" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/libmpeg2-0.5.1-r3::gentoo  USE="X sdl*" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-sound/mpg123-1.32.3-r100::gentoo  USE="alsa sdl* (-coreaudio) -jack -nas -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-video/ffmpeg-6.1.1-r8:0/58.60.60::gentoo  USE="X alsa bzip2 dav1d encode gnutls gpl iconv lcms lzma mp3 network opengl opus pic postproc sdl* svg theora threads truetype vaapi vorbis vpx vulkan webp x264 xvid zlib (-amf) -amr -amrenc (-appkit) -bluray -bs2b -cdio -chromaprint -chromium -codec2 -cpudetection (-cuda) -debug -doc -fdk -flite -fontconfig -frei0r -fribidi -gcrypt -glslang -gme -gmp -gsm -hardcoded-tables -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -jpegxl -kvazaar -ladspa -libaom -libaribb24 -libass -libcaca -libdrm -libilbc -libplacebo -librtmp -libsoxr -libtesseract -libv4l -libxml2 -lv2 (-mipsdspr1) (-mipsdspr2) (-mipsfpu) -modplug -nvenc -openal -opencl -openh264 -openssl -oss -pulseaudio (-qsv) -rav1e -rubberband -samba -shaderc -snappy -sndio -soc -speex -srt -ssh -static-libs -svt-av1 -test -twolame -v4l -vdpau -verify-sig -vidstab (-vmaf) -x265 -zeromq -zimg -zvbi" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 -3dnow -3dnowext -fma4 -xop" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart sidxindex trasher" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] media-libs/openal-1.23.1-r1::gentoo  USE="alsa pipewire qt5 sdl* (-coreaudio) -debug -jack -oss -portaudio -pulseaudio -sndio" CPU_FLAGS_X86="sse sse2 sse4_1" 0 KiB

Total: 9 packages (1 new, 8 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

media-libs/libsdl2:0

(media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="X alsa dbus gles2 joystick opengl pipewire sound threads udev video vulkan wayland (-aqua) (-custom-cflags) -doc -fcitx4 -gles1 -haptic -ibus -jack -kms -libsamplerate -nas -oss -pulseaudio -sndio -static-libs -test -xscreensaver" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 -3dnow" VIDEO_CARDS="(-vc4)" pulled in by
    >=media-libs/libsdl2-2.0.10:0[joystick,video,X] required by (games-strategy/wesnoth-1.18.2:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="dbus nls -dedicated -doc -server"
                                  ^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

(media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="X alsa dbus gles2 opengl pipewire sound threads udev video vulkan wayland (-aqua) (-custom-cflags) -doc -fcitx4 -gles1 -haptic -ibus -jack -joystick -kms -libsamplerate -nas -oss -pulseaudio -sndio -static-libs -test -xscreensaver" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 -3dnow" VIDEO_CARDS="(-vc4)" pulled in by
    media-libs/libsdl2[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?,alsa=,joystick=,opengl=,sound=,video=,X=] required by (media-libs/libsdl-1.2.68:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="X alsa opengl sound video -joystick -test"
                                                                                                                                                              ^^^^^^^^^                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

It might be possible to solve this slot collision
by applying all of the following changes:
   - media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2 (Change USE: +joystick)
   - media-libs/libsdl-1.2.68 (Change USE: +joystick)

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by media-libs/libsdl-1.2.68::gentoo
# required by media-libs/libmpeg2-0.5.1-r3::gentoo[sdl]
# required by media-video/vlc-3.0.20-r11::gentoo[mpeg]
# required by media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.12.0-r1::gentoo
# required by media-libs/phonon-4.12.0-r4::gentoo[-minimal]
# required by kde-apps/gwenview-24.05.2-r1::gentoo
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
>=media-libs/libsdl2-2.28.5-r2 -joystick

So, it was necessary to add also
Code:
media-libs/libsdl joystick

Thank you very much again ! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: