View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prestige787
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:04 am    Post subject: Maple17 Reply with quote

Hello all, I am cross posting here as I believe the original forum (networking) I posted this is isn't actually appropriate.

I'm trying to run a software computer algebra system called maple and am having some trouble. On my desktop at home, it will not run, saying the hostid of the system is invalid. On my laptop, it runs but only if it is connected to my home network, if I connect to my school network or turn off the wifi, it also gives me the invalid hostid error. I have looked at past threads and the only suggestion I could find is to enable all the 32bit libs, which I did to no success. This sfotware uses the flexnet licensing manager, I also found some suggestions to install a fake lsb, but I have not seen a way to do this on Gentoo. Any help appreciated!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray for flexlm to make sure people don't pirate and probably have hostname based protection.
Question is do you have VPN of sorts, that may be another variable that isn't being considered?
Chances are you will need to ask the admins for your local flexlm server to see what the issue is...
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-posting is discouraged, and in fact the forum rules (Guidelines (READ BEFORE POSTING)) specifically mention this (item #12). If you start a thread in the wrong forum, you can Report it to have it moved. If you feel you absolutely must open a new thread about a previously discussed issue, please cross-link the threads by telling readers of each thread where the other thread can be read. In this case, this thread appears to be a continuation of Hostid changing with network.

Given that this seems to be a problem with the license checking code, debugging this may move close to bypassing the technical measures limiting your ability to use the encumbered work. As such, I second eccerr0r's advice that this sounds like a problem for the license manager to investigate. They caused this by encumbering the tool with a poorly written license check. They should help you fix it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: