View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: SDDM launches to black screen with virtualbox Reply with quote

I am new to Gentoo and trying it first in a virtual machine via virtualbox. I followed the handbook with the OpenRC desktop profile for AMD64. I installed the plasma-meta package but when I attempt to launch my plasma x11 session, the breeze cursor loads but I get stuck with a black screen. I have confirmed that Xorg server works both by the fact that sddm loads and from running twm with xterm and having an interface.

I tried directly running startplasma-x11 and got the message:
$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.

Happy to provide logs, etc. if anyone has a suggestion of which to provide. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SDDM launches to black screen with virtualbox Reply with quote

benmo wrote:
I am new to Gentoo and trying it first in a virtual machine via virtualbox. I followed the handbook with the OpenRC desktop profile for AMD64. I installed the plasma-meta package but when I attempt to launch my plasma x11 session, the breeze cursor loads but I get stuck with a black screen. I have confirmed that Xorg server works both by the fact that sddm loads and from running twm with xterm and having an interface.

I tried directly running startplasma-x11 and got the message:
$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.

Happy to provide logs, etc. if anyone has a suggestion of which to provide. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I had this issue too when I did my very first Gentoo installation on VirtualBox a few years ago.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/704392#c4 fixed the issue on my end.
benmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds promising. I do have march=native in my make.conf. I will remove it and rebuild. This will likely take about 4 hours and I will report back.
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benmo wrote:
This sounds promising. I do have march=native in my make.conf. I will remove it and rebuild. This will likely take about 4 hours and I will report back.

Maybe only rebuilding dev-qt/qtgui will do the trick, as suggested in https://bugs.gentoo.org/704392#c7

I can't remember whether it was enough for me or if I had to rebuild everything.
benmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten stuck recompiling as my qtmultimedia is failing to compile when I try to emerge plasma-meta.
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benmo wrote:
I've gotten stuck recompiling as my qtmultimedia is failing to compile when I try to emerge plasma-meta.

Sounds like a distinct issue from the original one. Have you tried recompiling dev-qt/qtgui after removing -march=native?
Code:
# emerge -1 dev-qt/qtgui
benmo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have tried this and the package succeeds but the plasma-meta fails on qtmultimedia
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still need help, please follow the instructions that Portage prints when the package fails.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: