Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Home Network... Wired? Wireless? Mixed? Fiber?!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Home Network... Wired? Wireless? Mixed? Fiber?! Reply with quote

For those who have more than one machine at home, how do you network them?
I'm sure most people have mixed networks now and the phpbb2 polling system is pretty crappy about multiple votes (so you could choose both a wireless and a wired connection) so I'm not going to include one here.

I suspect 802.11ac or 802.11ax is most people's wireless nowadays but have most people converted to 10GbE or are most of your wired interconnect still 1GbE or lower?

I don't have enough good wireless gear and still stuck with 802.11n mostly because the client machines are aging. Most of my wired network is now at 1GbE using unmanaged, fanless, daisy chained 5 and 8 port switches, with a 10/100 segment (using an underutilized 24-port switch as most of my 8 and smaller port 10/100 switches have died) for the slow machines and a little used laser printer.

Now most of my storage is still HDD so 1GbE generally outpaces single SATA disks counting seek times, it doesn't hold a light to RAID0/RAID5, SSDs, and even tmpfs. But 10GbE gear is still a bit too pricey for me, though I did get a pair of 10GbE cards - the switch is the problem and I'm not going to like fan cooling. Was planning to hook up two machines on their own subnet but having a hard time choosing which machines... perhaps the 10GbE cards are simply not ready for primetime until I get that 10GbE switch...

(and other than uplink, anyone networks machines with fiber at home? Or is copper still the way to do it...)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for 10gb you need not only the cards, but the switch (unless only reverse wiring 2 machines directly) AND the cable needs to be able to handle that speed.

Then there's whatever is on either side of the network cards, software, etc, can it handle the speed.

My system is mostly 1gb with a few wireless (android, laptop, etc) and haven't felt the need to upgrade to 10gb because, in my case, not much will benefit from the speed.

Quite frankly, I don't care if it takes a few seconds longer to send/receive normal amounts of data.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r,

Trusted devices are all 1G wired on CAT 5e. That's supposed to be able to carry 2.5G too but that's network cards, (PoE) switches and so on.
I probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Untrusted devices are wireless. That's Android, TV, etc. My access point is ac which is more than fast enough.
The BD player is not permitted on the network in its installed location as it does not have Wifi.
The untrusted stuff is firewalled off behind my router.

The ISP connection is VHDL, that 80Mbit down and 20Mbit up (on a good day). The downlink rarely goes much over 60Mbit.
There is very little local traffic via the router, so that hardware is good enough.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much everything on 1G ethernet + 2.4GHz wifi.
10G is just a fancy number to me, it'll likely be a very very long time till I need a network like that, and 5GHz wifi trades range I do have a use for for speed I don't, so.... Just because it's older technology doesn't necessarily make it worse.

However:
Quote:

Now most of my storage is still HDD so 1GbE generally outpaces single SATA disks counting seek times, it doesn't hold a light to RAID0/RAID5, SSDs, and even tmpfs. But 10GbE gear is still a bit too pricey for me, though I did get a pair of 10GbE cards - the switch is the problem and I'm not going to like fan cooling.
Check out second-hand infiniband hadware. Pretty cool stuff.
Last time I checked was both, faster and cheaper than ethernet, and infiniband HBAs support ethernet mode too, if IPoIB is not good enough for you, though wires and plugs are different. If I get to play with it again, I'll probably get fiber links instead of copper wires though.
I think Zucca actually uses IB.
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed 802.3ab, 802.3an, and 802.11gn.

100/20Mbit fibre uplink, via custom (ipfire) router with 802.11bgn (800mw) AP, openvpn server, TOR node/proxy etc. etc.
Most client machines are 1000BASE-T through 1000/100/10 managed switch, bar 2 old boxes running at 100BASE-T and 10BASE-T respectively.
2 point-to-point (unswitched) 10GBASE-T dedicated NFS links from desktops to fileserver, because 10G cards are cheap and 10G switches are not. Now that those desktops have NVME drives, ~1GB/s to/from the fileserver is quite nice.
A couple of mobile / low-bandwidth clients on 802.11gn, and one SFF box I CBF running a cable to. TBH I don't really have need (or see the point) of a wireless link faster than 802.11n, at least not in a domestic setting.
No IoT junk, smart TVs or other untrusted devices, though a dedicated NIC on the router and standalone AP is available for such.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our ISP link is 17 MB - copper wires - and is OK for all our needs. The router provides 300 MB WiFi, and 100 MB Ethernet. So, old school and very slow compared with what's reasonable for a domestic setup, but still much faster than the ISP. We don't really need anything more, mainly because we're not into watching movies on phones. The LAN is only used for printing, scanning and a WebDAV/CalDAV server, and a binpkg server for updating my laptop. I do backups over USB-3, so no need for more bandwidth. emerge --update is still CPU-bound, not limited by bandwidth.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Quite frankly, I don't care if it takes a few seconds longer

The words of the elderly :D :D :D

Kidding aside, I've definitely gotten to the point that 100MbE (Fast Ethernet) is slow and 10MbE (classic Ethernet) is way too slow and wondering when 1GbE will get to that point. I definitely can sustain > 100MB/sec if doing sequential reads from my RAID and of course from my SSDs and tmpfs can flood 1GbE, but these are short bursts as I'd run out of disk/tmpfs space (or hit seek time, which drops streaming rate down to 0) in just a few seconds.

Sort of related to the terabytes of space poll, network speed mainly is not for transferring files between computers for consumption, but rather for "offline" disk backup purposes - though I tend to use rsync differential copy so that too reduces the amount of data that needs to be transferred. Just that first copy will take a long time especially if there is small files and seek time. I suspect for backups of movies and large files, seek times aren't as large of an issue however, but non-image copies of filesystems where seek time will dominate, 1GbE will not get bottle necked.

Yes, the 10GbE switch is a problem. I was thinking about perhaps getting a switch with only a few 10GbE ports and rest are 1GbE ports, at least two machines can take advantage of the higher bandwidth. But it seems most people here are content with 1GbE, not sure how many of you do video editing but once heard someone complaining about network/disk speeds when working with video on 1GbE links between their computer and their NAS/server. Wondering if that's due to seek time versus really a network issue for them.

I don't do video editing nor do I keep large number of large files around (backing up the PVR is probably the largest traffic source - and the not RAIDed WD Green HDD is the bottlebeck) so that 10GbE switch probably isn't worth it at this point. I do recall having this same dilemma years ago when thinking about the 1GbE switch upgrade (along with the 100Mb upgrade, where I learned that fans are bad)...time will come again some time, just don't know when.

(Speaking of dead switches, I've had a few 10/100 switches melt on me, as well as a 1GbE switch. Melt, as in none of the ports work anymore. The case of the switch was hot when I found that it had died so I just call it melted. Just a pain when your network drops to zero when that happens so yes I keep spare switches around now *sigh*)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter is a budding camera buff, so she takes a fair amount of pics.
She puts them on her windows machine, but I do copy them to the backup machine by way of samba,
I use the standard windows robocopy and it doesn't take that long even for gigs of pics/data. The network is 1g.
The copying is going from ssd to usb raid (spinning rust), so transfer is not network bound by any means.

1gb network is pretty fast, unless dealing with 100's of gigs of data.

If doing video creation/editing, I don't see there should be much slowdown unless they're not using local temp storage for the creation/editing.
Faster to do all the work locally and then copy it over.

I'm not an early adopter of technology upgrades, whether network, cpu, machines, etc. I prefer to hardware/firmware/etc stabilize before adopting.
And for my personal uses, I don't need speed over 1gb, at least for now.

Now if the switch dies and I have to replace and the newer/faster ones are near the same prices, it's easy to justify the upgrade.

It's kind of like where I am now, ryzen 3700x, about 3 1/2 years using it, I've looked at upgrading, but when I seriously consider,
I ask myself "do I really need it and am I really going to use the extra speed, capacity, etc"
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I'm not an early adopter of technology upgrades ...

Never buy version 1.0 of anything :)

Some of us will remember Windows 1.0. :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My network is mainly 1Gb/s wired, no wireless at all.

There are three exceptions to the 1Gb/s:
1) My internet link is VDSL2 at 70Mb/s
2) I have a pair of homeplugs for ethernet over powerlines, advertised as many Mbps but typically is around 50Mbps in my situation, which is good enough for my use-case
3) My phones sometimes make use of my network via usb-ethernet which is limited to USB2.0 speeds

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
Quite frankly, I don't care if it takes a few seconds longer

The words of the elderly :D :D :D
The elderly don't buy green bananas.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
I'm not an early adopter of technology upgrades ...

Never buy version 1.0 of anything :)

Some of us will remember Windows 1.0. :)
I'm on 1gb Ethernet and somewhere between 802.11-1997 and 802.11be, roughly 802.11-I-should-upgrade.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth doing Ethernet bonding on two 1GbE links as an alternative to running 10GbE so I can transfer files between two machines quickly - at 200MB/sec for two 1GbE links, that should cover my RAID and SSD speeds. Probably not worth the setup/teardown as eventually I'll go back to single link just to simplify things.

Incidentally I wonder for those people that still have self-hosting DDR2 machines to use NBD or something to swap over network to a DDR3/DDR4/DDR5 machine that has much more RAM. Wondering if that would stress the network? Recently been able to get a machine to 32GB RAM and maybe more if I shuffle some DIMMs around, but tempted to get my 8GB DDR2 (hardware limit) server to swap to ramdisk over 1GbE and see how bad that performs even if it needs to thrash swap...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if it's worth doing Ethernet bonding on two 1GbE links as an alternative to running 10GbE so I can transfer files between two machines quickly - at 200MB/sec for two 1GbE links, that should cover my RAID and SSD speeds. Probably not worth the setup/teardown as eventually I'll go back to single link just to simplify things.
I would like to do that when I upgrade. Configuration isn't that complicated, and I wouldn't see a need to undo it. Although my potential upgrade would include a 16 port switch (more ports than I need) and only 1 or 2 systems configured with bonding. Another possibility might be having two systems directly connected.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: