View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
an7h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: File manager does not detect USB drives or the Trash Can Reply with quote

Not sure what happened, but after switching to Sway and Wayland, I guess I messed something up and now for some reason any File Manager will not show me the Trash Can or possible drives to mount that I plugged in via USB, like a flash drive or external HDD. Is there something I should look for to get this functionality working again, like a package or service? I'm not really experiencing any other problems. Everything works as expected. The trash folder also does exist, and after deleting something, data is placed in it, it's just that there is no shortcut demonstrating that it contains something or not. I can also mount drives, but only via the terminal. It's as if FUSE is not enabled in the kernel or something... I could use a hint or two as to what I should look for to fix this.Thanks.
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: File manager does not detect USB drives or the Trash Can Reply with quote

an7h wrote:
[...] It's as if FUSE is not enabled in the kernel or something... I could use a hint or two as to what I should look for to fix this.Thanks.

Is FUSE in your kernel enabled as <M>odule or static <*>

AFAIK it must be enabled statically.
an7h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pietinger
It's built into the kernel itself. Always did it that way without issues.

Code:

<*> FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) support
       <M>   Character device in Userspace support   
       <M>   Virtio Filesystem

... so idk what's wrong. :oops:

I should also point out that the fuse global use flag is also enabled and applied.
an7h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** bump **
pietinger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I couldn't help. :(

Since I'm not familiar with wayland, I was hoping someone else here could help. Maybe someone else will jump into this thread.
an7h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's okay. I was just hoping someone else would notice... :oops:
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: File manager does not detect USB drives or the Trash Can Reply with quote

an7h wrote:
... any File Manager will not show me the Trash Can or possible drives to mount that I plugged in via USB, ...

Any? Would you like to expand on this a bit? Not that I have much useful to respond with, just thinking it might be the File Manager's problem.

I remember getting an issue like this when I first built an Arch box using LXDE. Then the problem was well-known, I'd missed installing gnome-base/gvfs.
I also read of some desktops losing trash because the user is running as root. I trust you're not doing that.
an7h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: File manager does not detect USB drives or the Trash Can Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Any? Would you like to expand on this a bit?

Well, I'd love to, but I'm not sure what to add to this other than "something is probably missing"... I just don't know what.

Goverp wrote:
Not that I have much useful to respond with, just thinking it might be the File Manager's problem.

No, this doesn't seem to be related to the file manager in use. The same problem occurs with pretty much anything I install. I had nemo before, now it's pcmanfm. Both have this issue...

Goverp wrote:
I remember getting an issue like this when I first built an Arch box using LXDE. Then the problem was well-known, I'd missed installing gnome-base/gvfs.

I've got that package installed, so this is not the source of the problem either. Perhaps there's something else that might be required for this functionality to work with file managers? I did delete the old xfce4 desktop packages, because they don't really support wayland properly at the moment. I was trying to get so much stuff to work or figure out alternatives to some software that I'm not really sure what could be missing here. In the end this is the only thing that would be nice to figure out. :?

Goverp wrote:
I also read of some desktops losing trash because the user is running as root. I trust you're not doing that.

No, not running as root either.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this item from the Arch wiki is any use.
The Gentoo wiki item doesn't say much, but IIUC you need USE=udisks to get volume monitoring, which might be relevant.
an7h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
but IIUC you need USE=udisks to get volume monitoring, which might be relevant.

that seems to be enabled by default with the chosen profile (just he regular desktop one).

Goverp wrote:
Don't know if this item from the Arch wiki is any use.

Doesn't really say much about my weird problem.

I tried installing krusader. I was able to open the trash folder, which is there, it's just that standard file managers do not show the regular trash bin bookmark for some reason. Now the interesting part is when I tried to use mountman to mount a flash drive. For some reason it didn't really detect a flash drive at all, which brings me to believe this might be some sort of permission issue. Now with wayland you cannot really run gui software as root even if you try do so via sudo or even su in a terminal, and by providing the correct password. This is a security thing as far as I know in wayland. It's not a big deal, but I wonder if this has anything to do with the ability to display mountable volumes or the trash bin? Beforehand, on X, everything worked just fine. :?

-- edit --

udisksctl does detect a mounted flashdrive without root... so idk...

-- edit 2 --

Uhhh, okay. Looks like I can mount just fine without root as well via udisksctl to the standard /run/media/*** directory
Now why wouldn't it then display a mountable option in a file manager then? hmmm... :o The funny part is that it even displays a mounted volume in nemo now as well. I can click the unmount icon and it works... It looks like the stuff is just hidden somehow...

-- edit 3 --
gnome-disks does detect and allow to mount a usb flash drive. Yet still, why are these being hidden in file managers? I checked the kernel config, permissions and groups. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, unless this has something to do with wayland in particular? Is this related to polkit?
an7h
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've managed to fix this problem by doing the following:
- enabled the global USE FLAG gnome-keyring in make.conf , then emerge --ask --deep --changed-use @world
- switched to another policy kit agent (gnome auth)
under sway added to ~/.config/sway/config
Code:
exec "/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1"

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: