Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my offer to send you the 5.5.11 rpm package still stands

but first have you rebooted into the 2.6.0 kernel and tried to run the netraverse_installer from there? or run the 5.1.12 win4lin ebuild while running inside it. then rebooted before trying to run win4lin? (perhaps also make sure your /usr/src/linux symlink points to the 2.6.0-win4lin kernel tree) NOTE: you might want to upgrade it just now due to a security patch just released as well as all your existing 2.4 kernels as well
fixes are in the portage tree. Also does the /sys directory exist?
airspirit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The /sys directory does exist. By the way, you've got PM.
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your mailbox and your PM's you have a problem at your end. the file bounced back. and any other mail is being refused becaause of the error.
airspirit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay ... I'm giving up. That didn't work either.

Well, one last chance: what is your lspci output? It still is giving me the "drivers not loaded" error, and I'm wondering if I'm somehow missing a module.
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lspci gives this

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP]
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc DL10050 Sundance Ethernet (rev 12)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233A ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Mas ter IDE (rev 06)
00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 23)
00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 23)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 40)
00:14.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 50)
00:14.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 50)
00:14.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4400] (rev a2)

but I think you want this ..

lsmod
Module Size Used by
ipv6 250560 7
ipt_REJECT 6784 1
ipt_mac 2048 1
ip_conntrack_irc 71700 0
ip_conntrack_ftp 72340 0
ipt_state 2048 11
ipt_limit 2688 1
ipt_LOG 5504 1
ip_conntrack 41796 3 ip_conntrack_irc,ip_conntrack_ftp,ipt_state
iptable_filter 2944 1
ip_tables 21632 6 ipt_REJECT,ipt_mac,ipt_state,ipt_limit,ipt_LOG,iptable_filter
Win4Lin 284936 1
mki_adapter 52964 1 Win4Lin
rivafb 48708 0
vgastate 10496 1 rivafb
snd_via82xx 25440 3
snd_ac97_codec 54148 1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart 7936 1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi 25760 1 snd_mpu401_uart
rtc 13240 0
eeprom 7560 0
it87 23560 0
via686a 20232 0
i2c_sensor 3200 3 eeprom,it87,via686a
i2c_viapro 7180 0
i2c_isa 2176 0
i2c_core 25992 6 eeprom,it87,via686a,i2c_sensor,i2c_viapro,i2c_isa
nvidia 2067976 32
sundance 21568 0
tsdev 6912 0
evdev 9984 0
evbug 3200 0

derk
airspirit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the mki-adapter line but not the Win4Lin line above it. I think that's my problem. modprobe Win4Lin doens't work, though. I just don't get it.
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to modprobe /var/Win4Lin/drivers/Win4Lin as stated above .. I think you are having problems loading this module. So your rc-update script or rather the script /etc/rd.d/init.d/Win4Lin is not being run at the default level during your boot process .. maybe you have to load it by hand first to see if there are error messages or check the log file /tmp/Win4Lin_init.log for existing messages.

Also try re-emerging with the 2.6.0 kernel running, rebooting etc. making sure that you manually start the script as: /etc/init.d/Win4Lin start
and make note of any error messages.

Also check the suffix on the /var/Win4Lin/drivers/Win4Lin module mine is Win4Lin.ko if installed on a 2.4 machine it is probably Win4Lin.o

I hope this helps.
airspirit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there is the problem. I have absolutely NOTHING being installed into the /var/win4lin directory AT ALL. The /var/win4lin/drivers directory is empty. I've followed step by step through the emerge process and NOTHING happens with the /var/win4lin directory at all. Further, in both the .11 and .12 packages there are only /opt and /etc directory files listed. When exactly and HOW are the /var files created? Is there a step I'm missing? I'm emerging under a 2.6 environment, so I know it's not that.
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is running under your 2.4 kernel still right?? It may be that your entire install is in the opt directory ... some stuff is moving arround on the files system as people adjust to comply with the file hierarchy standards.

check to see if you have this in the opt directory /opt/win4lin/drivers
win4lin.o or win4lin.ko or win4lin.pko plus a whole bunch of other .o files i.e. Mmerge.o, Mmpip.o etc. about 12 files in all plus a subdirectory called tools.

try loading the win4lin module from there .. this may be the new location ..

other wise if that does not exist:

Check your permissions on the /var directory if they are incorrect nothing can be installed there.. permissions on my /var are currently rwx r_x r_x and owned by root: root . The /var/win4lin directory is rwx rwx r_x owned by bin:bin

my install required with the cabs installed is about 180 MB or so all installed in /var/win4lin and about 15 MB in /opt/win4lin. Maybe all your stuff is in the /opt/win4lin directory?

.. by the way when I lost my partition I started from a Win4lin-5.0.4.ebuild (5.4.4 rpm version) so all the required files should be available .. and in the right places for that install. I've since upgraded to 5.1.11 and then 5.1.12 with no ill effects.

(Note there is also a command listed in the ebuild about running a command after the install you might try that as well .. but i'm not sure it does anything)

if necessary (shouldn't be)
try running the ebuild as root with no sandboxing as
FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge win4lin-5.1.12.ebuild
in the ebuild directory

derk
Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having the same problems as airspirit this evening, using a 2.6.1 kernel with Netraverse's 2.6.1 patch manually applied. Win4Lin support was compiled into the kernel. I can confirm that the location isn't /var/win4lin/drivers (/var/win4lin does exist), but /opt/win4lin/drivers. Sadly, I don't have the module you mention either.

root@napalm root # ls /opt/win4lin/drivers/
Mmerge.o Mserial.o Mvgic.o Mvmouse.o Mvnetd.o Mvw.o
Mmpip.o Mvdsp.o Mvkbd.o Mvnet.o Mvnetint.o tools

root@napalm root # ls /opt/win4lin/drivers/tools
loadem mknode_linux nodes_linux.txt rmnode_linux.sh unloadem

root@napalm root # rm patience
rm: cannot remove `patience': No such file or directory

No win4lin-5.1.12.ebuild exists, highest vesion in portage is 5.0.4. Tried your sandboxing advice, but that didn't work either. :\

My system is a relatively fresh install and I have no confidential files, so if you have the time to take a peek leave me a PM and I'll set a temp root password and let you have a field day.
Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Disregard this message Reply with quote

Think I'm onto what the problem may be. I sniffed around in /opt/win4lin/drivers/tools/loadem ...which turned out to be a readable shell script that handles the drivers.

The following is a little hard to do...

Code:

# check mki
mkivers=`grep mki_version /proc/ksyms`
echo "mki_version : $mkivers" >>$LOGFILE
if [ "x$mkivers" = "x" ]
then
        # The required kernel support is missing, so don't load the
        # drivers.
        echo "Win4Lin kernel support is missing, cannot load Win4Lin modules." \
                | tee -a $LOGFILE
        exit 1
fi

...when the file it's looking for doesn't exist.

Code:

root@napalm davin # ls /proc/ksyms
ls: /proc/ksyms: No such file or directory

The win4lin.ko file you mention might actually be generated after the initial install, in which case this script bombing out at this point may be what's stopping it from being created later. (it never goes further than checking for mki, which is there, but the condition it uses relies on a file that isn't in my /proc)

I'll see what I need to do to enable /proc/ksyms on my kernel, assuming this wasn't gutted from proc or somesuch, and report its effect on things.

Last edited by Davin on Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Disregard this message Reply with quote

At a glance, it seems this no longer exists in 2.5 and up; changes are thus required. There are two references to /dev/ksyms in /opt/win4lin/drivers/tools/loadem. Open it in a text editor and search.

Original:
Code:

modadpvers=`grep mkia_ver /proc/ksyms|sed -e's/.*mkia_ver_//g '|\
            sed -e's/\[mki-adapter\]//g'`

echo "module adapter version: $modadpvers" >>$LOGFILE
if [ "x$modadpvers" = "x" ]

Code:

# check mki
mkivers=`grep mki_version /proc/ksyms`
if [ "x$mkivers" = "x" ]

My changes:
Code:

# No /dev/ksyms in 2.5 and up!
# Something a little forgiving until somebody writes a real alternative
#modadpvers=`grep mkia_ver /proc/ksyms|sed -e's/.*mkia_ver_//g '|\
#            sed -e's/\[mki-adapter\]//g'`

modadpvers=`/sbin/lsmod | grep mki_adapter`

echo "module adapter version: $modadpvers" >>$LOGFILE
if [ "x$modadpvers" = "x" ]

Code:

# check mki
#mkivers=`grep mki_version /proc/ksyms`
# Again, unbreaking this script for 2.5 and up.
mkivers=`/sbin/lsmod | grep mki_adapter`
if [ "x$mkivers" = "x" ]

This nets me something...a different error.
Code:

root@napalm linux # /opt/win4lin/drivers/tools/loadem
Failed to load Mmerge.o
NOTE: This failure happened because Win4Lin was NOT
installed according to the instructions, and thus
'/sbin/insmod_ver' did not get installed from the
installation CD.
This is needed because the standard 'insmod' command
is insufficient to load the Win4Lin modules on this
system type.
See /var/win4lin/log/insmod.log for load failure messages.

Again, I'll keep you guys posted - updates as I learn more. I thought I checked to make sure $modadpvers and $mkivers didn't get reused, but if I was wrong that would probably break things.

Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Disregard this message Reply with quote

Googled it.

Quote:

Beware, the install script installs these binaries (not
registered with package management):

cp ../LINUX/tools/insmod /sbin/insmod_ver
cp ../LINUX/tools/rmmod /sbin/rmmod_ver

Hmm.

Code:

root@napalm linux # locate insmod
/var/win4lin/log/insmod.log
/usr/share/man/man8/insmod.old.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/insmod.8.gz
/sbin/insmod.static
/sbin/insmod_ksymoops_clean
/sbin/insmod.old
/sbin/insmod
root@napalm linux # qpkg -l win4lin | grep insmod
root@napalm linux #

...Bother. It seems that the ebuild really is broken. (that or Netraverse's RPM)

Let's play with fire, shall we?

Code:

root@napalm linux # ln -s /sbin/insmod /sbin/insmod_ver
root@napalm linux # /opt/win4lin/drivers/tools/loadem
Failed to load Mmerge.o
See /var/win4lin/log/insmod.log for load failure messages.
root@napalm linux # cat /var/win4lin/log/insmod.log
SESSIONS=1
MERGE_TUNE: _M_max_num_sessions=10
SERIAL_TUNE:
Trying modprobe mki-adapter
modprobe successful
module adapter version: mki_adapter            42292  0
mki_version : mki_adapter            42292  0
insmod: error inserting 'Mmerge.o': -1 Invalid module format

The last line is the most important one. Sorry kids, I'm afraid this package is very much b0rked for the moment. ;P

Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Disregard this message Reply with quote

Submitted bug 38250.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=38250

Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Seems like I could have saved myself alot of trouble.

From Netraverse's website:

Quote:

If you are planning to use a 2.6 kernel, you must be running Win4Lin 5.1.10/WTS 2.5.10 or higher. Win4Lin 3.0, 4.0, and NSSE 1.1/WTS 2.0 are NOT compatible with Linux 2.6. If you have Win4Lin 5.0 or WTS 2.5, make sure you update to the latest version, using the graphical installer. The Win4Lin 5.0 version from the boxed CDROM will not work with kernel 2.6 - be sure to update to the latest using the graphical installer. Also, you must apply the mki-adapter26*.patch file. For 2.4 kernels, continue using mki-adapter.patch.

The latest ebuild is version 5.0.8. Consequently this is not a real bug.

Sorry for the spam.
Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm done spamming the board needlessly (never try troubleshooting when you're tired), could I get a copy of the latest RPM as well? I'll leave you a PM with my e-mail address derk, whether or not you still have it in your heart to send it after my braindead rambling is up to you. :)
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your brain dead rambling is quite alright .. in fact rather insightful in part.

but since the rpm should contain a win4lin.o module something else is wrong too. the ebuild we've been talking about above might still be found in bugzilla as the 5.1.11 version .. just change the name .. you will have to go to netraverse's site to get the rpm .. sorry no free-be's available .. you will need a 5.0 or 5.1 version level unlock/registration code to get the stuff to run properly anyways.

The Win4Lin-5.1.12a-h.rpm does contain all the necessary files there is a Win4Lin.pko file contained within it. It lists it as it is going to be placed /opt/win4lin/drivers/Win4Lin.pko

so something is stopping the complete install for airspirit if this file does not exist ..
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way you can modify the existing win4lin-sources-2.6.0-r1.ebuild by changing the name to win4lin-sources-2.6.1-r1.ebuild and commenting out the third patching line kernel 2.6.1 already has the mremap fix in place.

derk
Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working. In 2.6, Win4Lin loves me, I love it. All is good.

Now, what people searching the forums are working for: how to do it. I could give you the long version, which includes switching over to 2.4 temporarily until you get the URL they give you after you input your reg code, but I'll just give out the URL and save everyone sweat:

http://www.netraverse.com/member/product_register

At this point it's assumed that you're running a 2.6.1 kernel (in my case, 2.6.0 should be just the same) with the two patches manually applied. There are two mki patches. Be sure to use mki-adapter26_1_3_3.patch for 2.6 kernels. You've applied the patches, built the source, and rebooted into the new kernel.

Method 1:
Create an account. Associate your registration code with this account. This gives you download rights - download the Win4Lin installer. This is a .tgz file, not a RPM. Run the installer from X-Windows, let it check and grab its updates. Once its updates are complete, everything win4lin related should work. /etc/init.d/Win4Lin start...and I guess if you run 'win' at this point it'll prompt you for all the setup stuff. I don't know, because I used method 3 inadvertently.

Method 2: (first try method 1)
Now, in my case, I already had the win4lin ebuild installed - this was perfectly fine, the installer updated the files the ebuild installed. I assume it will install without having to have the ebuild, but if these directions don't work and you don't have the ebuild installed, try installing it. If you do have the ebuild installed, I've noted that the ebuild can "get messy" if you've done two emerges of win4lin without unmerging the original first. emerge unmerge win4lin, emerge win4lin. That should fix you up. /etc/init.d/Win4Lin start. Do not follow the ebuild's instructions of executing the ebuild with 'config' - the installer will bomb unless you're running a patched 2.4 kernel. Instead, if my earlier instructions didn't work for you, *now* try running the installer - make sure you're in X-Windows though. Let it update your already installed files.

Method 3: (first try methods 1 and 2)
Still not working? Guess you'll have to go the route I did, but only because I didn't get the support URL until I could actually run the program - build a 2.4 kernel with the win4lin patches. Reboot. Boot into X Windows. unmerge and remerge win4lin again so that it spits the syntax for executing the ebuild with the 'config' option again, since I doubt you have photographic memory. /etc/init.d/Win4Lin start. If for some reason you already tried this and Win4Lin didn't have executables compatible with kernel 2.6 installed, running config again will not work - 'loadwindowsCD reload' to start from scratch. Everything should be clockwork since you're running 2.4. Once you've got a working Windows9x desktop, shut it down. NOW try running the installer. Let it update your files. Reboot back to 2.6. /etc/init.d/Win4Lin start. Start XWin. Open a console, type 'win'. If it works, congratulations, you went the longest route but got it working.

Assuming one of these three worked, rc-update add Win4Lin default now that we know everything is stable. Get some sleep and try to survive work the next day. (hope I do)

SLEEP I MUST
Davin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested method 1 on another machine. If your kernel is properly patched, all you have to do is emerge rpm, run the installer in the tgz, let it update files, and have it do the install. Cheesecake. The graphical installer will also handle the CD copying, which sure beats the console method.
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to hear a success story .. Airspirit did you resolve your difficulties yet?
airspirit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I hearing that you need to use the netraverse installer to get it to work? It refuses to install anything but the latest 4.0 version from my 5.0 key, which doesn't help me at all (I can't figure out what the problem is at all with this and their tech support guys say what I'm seeing isn't possible). Were you able to do this off of just the ebuild or by changing any files? As for my /opt/win4lin/drivers I have:

Code:

bash-2.05b$ dir
Mmerge.o  Mserial.o  Mvgic.o  Mvmouse.o  Mvnetd.o    Mvw.o        tools
Mmpip.o   Mvdsp.o    Mvkbd.o  Mvnet.o    Mvnetint.o  Win4Lin.pko
bash-2.05b$

It appears that the drivers are there instead of in /var/win4lin/drivers like they should be. I'm going to try to directly modprobe those drivers (not sure if you can do that ... lol).
airspirit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I ran loadem and it didn't copy the files and configure them as it appeared it should. /var/win4lin/drivers was still empty. So I copied the drivers over by hand. Still didn't work. Then I renamed Win4Lin.pko to both .ko and .o extensions. modprobe still refused to load them and the proggy still wouldn't work. Then I ran the netraverse installer and it said everything was up to date. I'm having a wtf moment right now, hehe.
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kernel patches are you using .. for 2.6.0 the mki-adaptor patch is different from the 2.4 versions (as Davin noted above) .. maybe this is the problem ..grasping at straws here.. :?

okay .. you can not even update the version running in the 2.4 kernel is this correct? Or is it running the 5.1 version?!? (check for your registration key placement) If what ever version of win4lin is running under 2.4 does not have entries in /var/win4lin then these are no longer necessary.
:?
I see you are checking with netraverse first to see if they have any recommendations for you on this?

Okay the new set-up may not need the /var directory entries but check with netraverse for a final ruling on this. Davin can you confirm this as you have the more recent install, did it eventually put something in /var.

It may be that you have to run the set-ups in the kde/??? netraverse menu's before it will do that part..

My only other suggestion is that you do the install all over again (i know round 3 or higher).

:x :cry: :(

But, if you do decide to do it again...
First remove the win4lin entry in the default or boot runlevels, remove the /etc/rc.d/init.d/win4lin directory, remove the /etc/init.d/win4lin entry, clobber the /opt/win4lin directory, look in the /var/db/pkg/apps-emulation/ subdirectory and remove the references, entires or directories referencing win4lin (do not remove the win4lin-sources references in /var/db/pkg//kernel-sources as those have to remain installed) you also have to manually remove the apps-emulation/win4lin entry in .. /var/cache/edb/world ... We are trying to fake out portage that win4lin is not installed/has never been installed at all .. you can "inject" it later after it is working. Then reboot into your 2.4 kernel.
If you are not sure about the netraverse installer file blow it off your system or check the date stamp on the installer. (at one point I had 3 different versions on my machine) get the current 5.1.x version and install it directly.. let it do the whole thing.. get win4lin 5.1 completely working in 2.4 before you switch kernels .. then reboot to 2.6 and try to start win4lin .. run the emerge then if necessary ..
tSp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of things that I have found while also trying to get win4lin to work.....it tries to place the startup script in /etc/rc.d/init.d like a redhat system. Moving Win4Lin from /etc/rc.d/init.d to /etc/init.d by itself will not work.....you need to edit the file after moving it and change the line that says:

if [ "_${SYSTEMTYPE}" = "_linux" -a -f /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions ]

to

if [ "_${SYSTEMTYPE}" = "_linux" -a -f /etc/init.d/functions.sh ]

and also the line that says

. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

to

. /etc/init.d/functions.sh

Next you will be able to start Win4Lin by issuing the command:
/etc/init.d/Win4Lin start

lsmod should then show

Module Size Used by
Win4Lin 284936 1
mki_adapter 38884 1 Win4Lin

By the way, my linux experience goes back to Linux infancy and I am also a linux developer, and after trying everything I could find on this board without luck, I figured I had better go back to the basics and check the startup scripts.....duh.....hope this was helpful.
http://www.maysville-linux-users-group.org
http://www.edwiget.name

Registered Linux User #162711
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: