No sound after reboot: output device not set automatically
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NP_complete
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: No sound after reboot: output device not set automatically Reply with quote

I do have sound about 9 out of 10 times after reboot. Occasionally, though, I have to manually set the output device through GNOME applet, to bring the sound back. The applet gives two choices:
Quote:
Sound Output

Digital output (S/PDIF) - Built-in Audio
Speakers - Built-in Audio
Selecting "Speakers - Built-in Audio" does the trick. Since the erroneous behavior doesn't take place regularly, the problem must be caused by a race condition somewhere. How do I solve this?

In my /etc/pulse/client.conf, I have
Code:
autospawn = yes

Many thanks.

PS: I don't recall having this sound-related issue on my Debian box.
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check if you are actually using pulseaudio daemon, see 'Server Version' in 'pactl info' output.

Ususally card profile is restored by pulseaudio daemon automatically. This works even if you have automatic output switching to ports becoming available (e.g. if you plug something in, it would try switching to that port.)
This works while daemon starts too, because if you do nothing your ports are not changing and you get your remembered profile working.

But seldom alsa layer may delay indication of ports becoming avialable (e.g. if there is a delay in kernel driver probe routine) which can cause card profile change without any action from your side. In this case you can do two things with pulseaudio daemon: disable automatic switching, or lock card profile to the one you want (see Configuration tab in pavucontrol, there is a lock icon to the right of profile name.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: