Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
is Konsole unusable (using less) on a new fresh install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayOfLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: is Konsole unusable (using less) on a new fresh install? Reply with quote

I'm dissapointed in my linux usability when I do not spend my time tweaking from the start/day1.

I attach a screenshot of my Konsole terminal so you can feel my pain:

https://imgur.com/a/cMOLjgF

I CANNOT READ the dark blue tones, and I don't know how I can change them, has this happened to anybody of you? how do you cope with this?

It did not happen to me 10yrs ago, wtf.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plz change color theme from Konsole settings or create a new profile with a different color theme.
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: is Konsole unusable (using less) on a new fresh install? Reply with quote

Yeah, the default "Breeze" konsole colour scheme mangles everything. But it's all grey and pastel and "modern", so... Uhh, :roll:
For color schemes in a TTY, check out ttyscheme.

Konsole hidden feature: If you cat out that script, then hover the mouse cursor over the codes in the COLORS= section, you get a preview as a tooltip. ;)
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try LESSCOLOR=no as IMO the lesspipe colours aren't great either.
acmondor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit late, but in case anyone is interested here a way to improve the colors.

lesspipe uses pygmentize from dev-python/pygments and one can change the colors produced by setting the LESSCOLORIZER env var to something like this:

Code:
LESSCOLORIZER="pygmentize -O style=emacs"

To see available styles run:

Code:
pygmentize -L | less

From what I've found so far, the styles emacs, perldoc, trac, and zenburn are much more readable than the default.

See /usr/bin/lesspipe (a bash script) or lesspipe --help for more details.

One last thing, pygmentize colorizes files using different lexers (also shown in the -L output mentioned earlier) and by default it selects the lexer based on the file's name. This leads to somewhat confusing results. For example, a bash script without an extension, like /usr/bin/lesspipe, won't be colorized. There is a -g that can be used with pygmentize to have it look into files to determine their type. That workes for files like /usr/bin/lesspipe with #!/bin/bash on the first line, but in other files where that's not the case, for example /etc/profile, it picks the wrong lexer and produces very bad coloring.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: