[Solved] Headphones not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jb1277976_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:58 am    Post subject: [Solved] Headphones not working Reply with quote

Hello,

Trying to get headphones working. Audio through speakers and mic are working Using Pro Profile from pulseaudio and alsa

Here is some information

1. dmesg - https://termbin.com/k7tg

2. pa-info - https://termbin.com/8kjx

3. emerge-info - https://bpa.st/PIZA

Any help is appreciated

~ Joe

Last edited by jb1277976_ on Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the output of those commands. :)

The output from pa-info:

Code:
/usr/bin/pa-info: line 57: pulseaudio: command not found

says that Pulse isn't actually running - `pidof` should have shown the PID of the relevant process - which would suggest that the audio you're getting is purely due to ALSA.

How are you starting (or trying to start) PulseAudio? Can you confirm that the `media-sound/pulseaudio` and `media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon` packages are installed? (`pa-info` is provided by `media-libs/libpulse`). And, given that you have `elogind` in your USE, i presume you're using OpenRC rather than systemd?
jb1277976_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexibeast wrote:
Thanks for sharing the output of those commands. :)

The output from pa-info:

Code:
/usr/bin/pa-info: line 57: pulseaudio: command not found

says that Pulse isn't actually running - `pidof` should have shown the PID of the relevant process - which would suggest that the audio you're getting is purely due to ALSA.

How are you starting (or trying to start) PulseAudio? Can you confirm that the `media-sound/pulseaudio` and `media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon` packages are installed? (`pa-info` is provided by `media-libs/libpulse`). And, given that you have `elogind` in your USE, i presume you're using OpenRC rather than systemd?

Yes I'm using OpenRc

I remember from the install putting pulsesaudio and alsa in make.conf also I installed pavucontrol don't know if that installed pulsesaudio. I will check when I'm at my laptop.

Also pipewire is installed and I think that where I got the profile from so I can get sound. I remember deinstalling pulseaudio-daemon

Thanks again
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well, a few things:

* If you're wanting to use PulseAudio as your sound server, you'll need the `pulseaudio-daemon` package installed. This will get pulled in when installing the `pulseaudio` meta-package. `pavucontrol` doesn't have a dependency on `pulseaudio` (only on `libpulse`), so the `pulseaudio` package won't have been automatically pulled in when you installed `pavucontrol`.

* Be careful with having PipeWire stuff and PulseAudio stuff installed at the same time; in certain contexts, problems can arise due to them fighting over which one is providing a sound server, particularly if something else is automatically starting (or trying to start) them. i would suggest that, if you no longer want/need PipeWire, you should remove the `pipewire` package before installing the `pulseaudio-daemon` package.

* i no longer use Pulse as my sound server, and instead use PipeWire, but based on the wiki page for PulseAudio, and given that you're running XFCE, you should install `xfce-extra/xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin` (if it's not already installed), in addition to `pulseaudio-daemon`, for XFCE to (hopefully) autostart Pulse
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not run pa-info as root, that would not have access to sound server. To include more alsa info please install alsa-utils package.

The issue with pulseaudio was that neither default alsa card profile nor current alsa-ucm-conf provide support for speakers of that Google Dragonair chromebook model.

Pipewire sound server pro audio profile provides access to bare hardware devices, which allowed using 'hw:0,5' for speakers. Please test headphones with 'speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,1'
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrison wrote:
Please do not run pa-info as root, that would not have access to sound server.

No indeed, but i seem to be missing where in the `pa-info` output it shows that it's been run as root; for my own future reference, could you point me to it, please?
jb1277976_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexibeast wrote:
Okay, well, a few things:

* If you're wanting to use PulseAudio as your sound server, you'll need the `pulseaudio-daemon` package installed. This will get pulled in when installing the `pulseaudio` meta-package. `pavucontrol` doesn't have a dependency on `pulseaudio` (only on `libpulse`), so the `pulseaudio` package won't have been automatically pulled in when you installed `pavucontrol`.

* Be careful with having PipeWire stuff and PulseAudio stuff installed at the same time; in certain contexts, problems can arise due to them fighting over which one is providing a sound server, particularly if something else is automatically starting (or trying to start) them. i would suggest that, if you no longer want/need PipeWire, you should remove the `pipewire` package before installing the `pulseaudio-daemon` package.

* i no longer use Pulse as my sound server, and instead use PipeWire, but based on the wiki page for PulseAudio, and given that you're running XFCE, you should install `xfce-extra/xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin` (if it's not already installed), in addition to `pulseaudio-daemon`, for XFCE to (hopefully) autostart Pulse

Thanks for the reply

What do you recommend I do when I sit down at my laptop and start troubleshooting? Like first steps?

pa-info non root - https://termbin.com/22hz
jb1277976_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garrison wrote:
Please do not run pa-info as root, that would not have access to sound server. To include more alsa info please install alsa-utils package.

The issue with pulseaudio was that neither default alsa card profile nor current alsa-ucm-conf provide support for speakers of that Google Dragonair chromebook model.

Pipewire sound server pro audio profile provides access to bare hardware devices, which allowed using 'hw:0,5' for speakers. Please test headphones with 'speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,1'

I'm at my laptop right now.

I'm installing pulseauiod-daemon and removing pipewire will reboot then go from there and include alsa-ucm-conf

I've been reading all over Gentoo forums, reddit Linux forums and communities and they talk about pipewire is probably the best replacement for pulseaudio. all i know is when I had pipewire everything just worked expect headphones. i can probably use a usb dongle for that or just keep researching.

Thanks all for the help but I've removed pulseaudio from my system

Thanks

~ Joe B
garrison
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say without alsa-utils installed (which brings alsa-info.sh used by pa-info) but you may try to play to 'Port1' which is hw:0,0
Or maybe try speaker test again, 'speaker-test -t wav -c 2 -D hw:0,0' that is probably either line out or headphones port.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: