Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[resolved] syslog-ng-update-virtualenv: what if I ran it?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbrehon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: [resolved] syslog-ng-update-virtualenv: what if I ran it? Reply with quote

[Edit 2024jan20 to add:] this problem is seemingly unique to syslog-ng-4.2.0 with the python use flag set.

Saw a boot message on a rarely rebooted machine from syslog-ng that said something like you need to run syslog-ng-update-virtualenv. So I did. It ran a few pip installs which I believe is a no-no. From other gentoo docs it is stated that running pip as root can bork your system.

1) Can I tell if my system is now borked?

2) Can I undo it?

thanks,
-Mark

[Edit 2024jan20]: running syslog-ng-update-virtualenv seems to have just added a new dir /var/lib/syslog-ng/python-venv, under which are apparently some python lib installations specific to syslog-ng-4.2.0, untracked by portage, which could cause python lib version issues. Next version of syslog-ng (4.3.1) allegedly fixes this, so I upgraded and removed the python-venv directory. Boots ok (no syslog-ng warning), see how it runs next few days.
NicoT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed this message during boot:
Code:

* Checking your configfile (/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf) ...
python: the current set of requirements installed in our virtualenv seems to be out of date, use the `syslog-ng-update-virtualenv' script to upgrade Python dependencies; path='/var/lib/syslog-ng/python-venv'
 [ ok ]
 * Starting syslog-ng ...
[2024-09-10T13:58:01.889889] python: the current set of requirements installed in our virtualenv seems to be out of date, use the `syslog-ng-update-virtualenv' script to upgrade Python dependencies; path='/var/lib/syslog-ng/python-venv'
 [ ok ]

Looking in my emerge log, I can see I started with version 4.2.0 (I think it is from the live iso during installation) on DEC 25 2023, then downgraded to 4.0.1 on FEB 6 2024, and then upgraded to 4.6.0 on FEB 8 2024.
So I skipped version 4.3.1.

Is there anything I have to do, or how can I get rid of this message?

Code:
Installed versions:  4.6.0^t(03:31:24 PM 09/10/2024)(python -amqp -caps -dbi -geoip2 -grpc -http -json -kafka -mongodb -pacct -redis -smtp -snmp -spoof-source -systemd -tcpd -test PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11")
mbrehon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo Python experts, please chime in here if I'm terribly wrong!

what I believe happened to me:
- LARGE CAVEAT: I am NOT a python expert and do not really understand python virtual environments.
- updating from 4.1.? to 4.2.0 created a new virtualenv directory unique to that version of syslog-ng at /var/lib/syslog-ng/python-venv that contains specific versions of python libraries required by syslog-ng-4.2.0 .
- I believe this was a QA oversight either by the upstream packagers or by the gentoo devs (no complaints, thank you volunteers!).
- so after installing syslog-ng-4.2.0 there were two copies of relevant python libraries, 1) the system set, and 2) the syslog-ng-4.2.0 set
- while the versions of those python libraries matched, there was no complaint upon launch of syslog-ng.
- time goes on pkgs get updated, portage knows nothing about those /var/lib/syslog-ng/python-venv libs so they do not get updated thru an 'emerge --update'.
- when there is finally a mismatch between those syslog-4.2.0 specific python libs and the system libs the syslog-ng boot script detects it and displays that boot message.
- so now, even though you've updated to syslog-ng-4.6, that directory (/var/lib/syslog-ng/python-venv) still exists with stale python libs in it causing the boot script warnings.

what I tried to remedy it:
- After updating beyond syslog-ng-4.2.0, I moved that virtualenv directory out of the way so the syslog-ng init script would not find those stale python libs:
[[[ WARNING: POSSIBLY DANGEROUS, but it did work for me ]]]
# mv /var/lib/syslog-ng/python-venv ~/.

result:
- seems to have worked - system now boots with no warning messages for syslog-ng launch and I have not seen any other problems since doing this.
- oh and that dir, /var/lib/syslog-ng/python-venv, has not reappeared thru successive syslog-ng updates.

Hope that helps!
NicoT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your extensive answer. It seems to work for me too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: