Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
where does a mount point points to? (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject: where does a mount point points to? (solved) Reply with quote

I have a few disks that I mount under /mnt with fstab at boot.

Code:
PARTUUID=4d06bb89-cbf7-d84c-9ee1-fa1ce078ee01     /boot           vfat   noauto,noatime      1 2
UUID=076be15c-015b-4bd6-8c2a-a8a9ecd5ddca         none        swap   sw         0 0
UUID=96d663c8-081a-4834-8766-1acca3cde0a2         /               xfs   noatime         0 1
UUID=5961004a-94f5-4c20-9746-7c721d22e6ec         /mnt/main_data   xfs   noatime,rw,exec,suid   0 1
UUID=94063aea-cfd4-4f05-9228-f10ba1c08ae2         /mnt/rommel   xfs   noatime,rw,exec,suid   0 1
UUID=cf9c0169-59c9-4c28-9d8c-d7a77b3897ca         /mnt/mail         xfs   noatime,rw,exec,suid   0 1
UUID=377e334b-7a76-43f2-b5a9-587cd1caabed         /mnt/virt_xp    xfs noatime,rw,exec,suid    0 1
192.168.2.8:/export/NAS                               /mnt/nas       nfs     noauto,rw,users,_netdev         0 0
UUID=7a672622-1440-484e-bc87-00576368798c       /mnt/virt_w10    xfs noatime,rw,exec,suid    0 0
UUID=af933230-3b88-4f54-80a8-cee994a02fc2       /mnt/muziek     xfs noatime,rw,exec,suid    0 0
LABEL=muziek       /mnt/usb_muziek     ntfs    noatime,rw,exec,suid    0 0
LABEL=backup       /mnt/backup      xfs     noatime,rw,exec,suid    0 0

Now those UUID mounts are ok. The mounts done with a label are for USB disks that I use for backup and there are several of them in rotation being swapped with other locations. But this is ok as well. The problem sits with the NAS: 192.168.2.8:/export/NAS /mnt/nas nfs noauto,rw,users,_netdev 0 0

I had a NAS but nothing but trouble with it. So I put other software on it (Openmediavault). It sits at the same IP address as before and it shows the share as /export/NAS when I do a "showmount -e 192.168.2.8".

The problem is that if I go to /mnt/muziek, then I find files there! While I'm very sure that the install of Openmediavault wiped the disks of the NAS. So there should not be any data on it. So how can I check if that is really on the NAS or "somewhere else"? After all, /mnt is just another directory on / so it could be that those files sit on my / disk.

Last edited by Spanik on Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik,

Code:

When that USB is mouthed to /mnt/usb_muziek df -T will show it as an ntfs filesystem of some sort.

/mnt/muziek should be a local xfs filesystem, so the files it contains are on the local system.

Code:
LABEL=muziek       /mnt/usb_muziek     ntfs
and
Code:
UUID=af933230-3b88-4f54-80a8-cee994a02fc2       /mnt/muziek     xfs
are not the same thing even if the content appears to be identical.
Neither appear to be nfs mounts either.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is probably confusing but the setup is as follows:
Code:

UUID=af933230-3b88-4f54-80a8-cee994a02fc2       /mnt/muziek     xfs noatime,rw,exec,suid    0 0

/mnt/muziek is a separate hdd in the pc that is always mounted. This one is xfs like all disks in the desktop.
/mnt/usb_muziek is mounted with a LABEL as this is used to make a copy of /mnt/muziek using rsync to a (set of 3) usb HDD disks. The USB disks have all 3 the same label and are ntfs as they also need to be readable on a windows system.

The problem is with
Code:
192.168.2.8:/export/NAS                               /mnt/nas       nfs     noauto,rw,users,_netdev         0 0

If I go to /mnt/nas then I find a folder and files in it while the setup of the NAS should have wiped all files. So where are those files? And they are there, I can open them.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik,

ssh into the NAS at have a look at what /etc/exports tells.
Go there and see if the files are there or not.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected, there is nothing on the NAS. But where on my system are those files then? Are they really in /mnt on / or is it a mounted disk in the desktop? Is there a way to get the info as /dev/xxx/mnt/...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik,

umount all the filesystems in /mnt, until df shows nothing inside /mnt

Now run
Code:
du -d1 -h /mnt
to see where the space is used.
Run that again but add the -x option to du.

man du:
       -x, --one-file-system
              skip directories on different file systems

If you get the same output from both, the files are really in /mnt.

Its easy to do that if you copy something to what you intended to use as a mount point but with nothing mounted.
The popular example in Gentoo is to install a new kernel to /boot without mounting boot first.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
If you get the same output from both, the files are really in /mnt.

Its easy to do that if you copy something to what you intended to use as a mount point but with nothing mounted.
The popular example in Gentoo is to install a new kernel to /boot without mounting boot first.

Ok, so that is it, I must have copied some things in /mnt/nas without the nas being mounted. So I can delete them without wondering if I'm going do something irreversible. Thanks!

Strange thing was I couldn't unmount /mnt/main_data, it was "in use". While I had closed every application. Had to reboot, log in a termimnal, go to a root shell and then unmount everything. After that I could startx. But my background is gone. So the file that was still in use is probably the KDE background!

And I admit having updated a kernel and forgotten to mount /boot Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

EDIT: but this means that the NAS doesn't mount... :(
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik,

Can you mount the NAS by hand ?
If not, the error messages will be useful.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Spanik wrote:
Code:
Did you tell the system to mount the NAS? Your fstab entry has it marked as noauto, so the boot scripts will not mount it for you. It will only be mounted if root explicitly runs mount /mnt/nas or equivalent, or possibly some desktop program gets more clever than it should be and ignores that noauto.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. I did double check and you are absolutely right, I didn't mount it and that is why I see the files that were copied by error on /mnt/nas (but not the nas itself).

Looks like I can mount it but not use it. When I mount the nas then I see an empty directory as it should be. Only problem is I cannot copy a file to it of make a directory on it. But that will be some nas settings without doubt. I'll need a few evenings of RTFM...

But the question of finding out where the files that I do see are is solved thanks to you guys. (now I can wipe them)
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you try to write to the mount? Your post implies that it fails, but you did not share any error messages.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Spanik wrote:
Spanik wrote:
Code:
Did you tell the system to mount the NAS? Your fstab entry has it marked as noauto, so the boot scripts will not mount it for you. It will only be mounted if root explicitly runs mount /mnt/nas or equivalent, or possibly some desktop program gets more clever than it should be and ignores that noauto.

It doesn't mout at boot, but if I select that directory in KDE Dolphin, it first mounts it.

Hu wrote:
What happens when you try to write to the mount? Your post implies that it fails, but you did not share any error messages.

cp: cannot create regular file 'xxxxxx': permission denied. I probably do not have set the permissions on the nas correctly. I remember from the previous tries with Truenas that I also had that problem. It isn't a problem of the nas, it is me not understanding permissions in a linux system very well. That will be for another evening as I right now have other problems of work getting into the way of life.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected, the last hurdle was configuration of users and permissions for nfs on the NAS.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: