GRUB issues with fresh install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shmerps
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: GRUB issues with fresh install Reply with quote

I am installing gentoo for x86_64 musl llvm on a thinkpad x200t and when I reboot after finishing with the liveCD, I keep cycling between my bios and loading grub screen.

I have GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" in my make.conf, and grub emerged successfully, and grub-install completed with non errors
so I am confused as to where I went wrong.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: GRUB issues with fresh install Reply with quote

shmerps wrote:
[...] I keep cycling between my bios and loading grub screen. [...]

This means your machine does a reboot ... I guess you have a kernel panic (and you have configured an immediate reboot in your kernel configuration if a kernel panic occurs). Maybe invisible if the kernel panics at an early position where no console output is available. Have you tried to boot with our Gentoo dist-kernel ?
shmerps
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: GRUB issues with fresh install Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
shmerps wrote:
[...] I keep cycling between my bios and loading grub screen. [...]

This means your machine does a reboot ... I guess you have a kernel panic (and you have configured an immediate reboot in your kernel configuration if a kernel panic occurs). Maybe invisible if the kernel panics at an early position where no console output is available. Have you tried to boot with our Gentoo dist-kernel ?

I was getting errors installing both dist-kernel and dist-kernel-bin but ill try looking into that. My current kernel was compiled with make localyesconfig.

Ill look into the kernel stuff but I'm not sure if grub is loading in the first place because I only see GRUB loading... and never get the option to choose an os on my hdd.

Thanks for the quick reply.
shmerps
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to successfully install gentoo-kernel-bin (I forgot to mount my boot partition :P and yes, I made sure grub was installed on the boot partition and the kernel and initramfs images were there after) and the problem still persists for me after generating a new grub config and rebooting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: