Emerge slows down on idle system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pstickar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Emerge slows down on idle system Reply with quote

Hi,

following the advice by Mikael Hirki in https://bugs.gentoo.org/928116, I did

Code:
emerge -1 dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra
Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 12.29 s (backtrack: 0/20).

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Emerging (1 of 3) dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra-2023_p69752-r2::gentoo
>>> Jobs: 0 of 3 complete, 1 running                Load avg: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

That is, the system started working, and about an hour later it is completely idle, making no progress (zero load average). I expected it to have finished, even if this computer is slow. Of course, at zero average load, it will surely take ages.

Other than that emerge, the computer is doing nothing. When I write these lines, Firefox is the heaviest load, taking about 7%. For the record, the computer has 8 cores. In make.conf I have

Code:

MAKEOPTS="-j5"
FEATURES="parallel-fetch nostrip"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=3 --load-average=8.1 --keep-going --with-bdeps=y"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Pablo
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I suspect you're hitting the same problem as me. And I've no idea how to resolve it, apart from killing and resuming. That's a bit less expensive than it might be if you have code cache (CCACHE) enabled in make.conf etc.

A little more detail to see if it's the same issue: my emerges sometimes hang; when they do, load average is a little above 2. htop (or top) shows the emerge process stuck in python code in emerge, not in compilation or anything. If you look at the tail of the emerge log file for your package
Code:
 /var/tmp/portage/dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra/temp/build.log
in your case, assuming you've not changed PORTAGE_TMPFILE, you'll find it's just finished installing into /var/tmp/portage/work (I think it's work, not temp, not got a broken one in front of me now). (emerge's next step would be many "INSTALL" commands to merge it into your live system). An attempt to "sync" or shutdown just hangs the system. Sometimes emerge resumes after 15 min to an hour.

My guess is that emerge has some code to coordinate multiple jobs (--jobs n) that dies somehow. I vaguely wondered if my use of net-misc/openntpd was responsible when it decides to inch the clock back to sync with the ntp service, but cancelling that doesn't seem to fix it.

It's a bug, nothing (as far as I can tell) that you or I are doing wrong.
pstickar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Goverp,

thank you for your prompt answer. I learned something new from your answer.

However, I'm not sure it is the same issue. In my case, the directory /var/tmp/portage/dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra/ does not exist.
So I think that it did not even start compiling.

That prompted me to read the log files. I should have done that before. Now I notice that /var/log/emerge-fetch.log is half a megabyte large and slowly expanding, Quite many lines report connection errors and download failures. As I do not notice anything wrong with my internet access, I did not suspect of such a problem.

This also explains why the system load is so low.

Kind regards,
Pablo
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pstickar wrote:
However, I'm not sure it is the same issue. In my case, the directory /var/tmp/portage/dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra/ does not exist.
So I think that it did not even start compiling.

That prompted me to read the log files. I should have done that before. Now I notice that /var/log/emerge-fetch.log is half a megabyte large and slowly expanding, Quite many lines report connection errors and download failures. As I do not notice anything wrong with my internet access, I did not suspect of such a problem.

The --jobs option is hiding the problem somewhat. If you use --ignore-default-opts on the command-line, this would have likely been found sooner.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: