Problems compiling LLVM toolchain
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
telestraw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Problems compiling LLVM toolchain Reply with quote

Greeting fellow Gentoo users,

I went through the first steps of the Gentoo installation, extracting the musl/llvm stage3 tarball, chrooting and syncing repos. The first step I went for was to bootstrap the latest version of the LLVM toolchain (17.0.6 -> 18.1.4). It went well at first (I compiled llvm,clang and lld) until I got an error compiling sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4. However, I am able to re-compile the older and pre-packaged sys-libs/libcxxabi-17.0.6 successfully.

The error is the following:

Code:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:67 (message):
  The C compiler

"/usr/lib/llvm/18/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-musl-clang"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/llvm-libunwind-18.1.4/work/runtimes_build-abi_x86_64.amd64/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-HdndgM'

Run Build Command(s): /usr/bin/ninja -v cmTC_d3268
    [1/2] /usr/lib/llvm/18/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-musl-clang    -DNDEBUG -march=native -O3 -pipe -MD -MT CMakeFiles/cmTC_d3268.dir/testCCompiler.c.o -MF CMakeFiles/cmTC_d3268.dir/testCCompiler.c.o.d -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_d3268.dir/testCCompiler.c.o -c /var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/llvm-libunwind-18.1.4/work/runtimes_build-abi_x86_64.amd64/CMakeFiles/CMakeScratch/TryCompile-HdndgM/testCCompiler.c
    [2/2] : && /usr/lib/llvm/18/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-musl-clang -march=native -O3 -pipe  CMakeFiles/cmTC_d3268.dir/testCCompiler.c.o -o cmTC_d3268   && :
    FAILED: cmTC_d3268
    : && /usr/lib/llvm/18/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-musl-clang -march=native -O3 -pipe  CMakeFiles/cmTC_d3268.dir/testCCompiler.c.o -o cmTC_d3268   && :
    ld.lld: error: cannot open crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory
    ld.lld: error: cannot open /usr/lib/llvm/18/bin/../../../../lib/clang/18/lib/linux/libclang_rt.builtins-x86_64.a: No such file or directory
    ld.lld: error: cannot open /usr/lib/llvm/18/bin/../../../../lib/clang/18/lib/linux/libclang_rt.builtins-x86_64.a: No such file or directory
    ld.lld: error: cannot open crtendS.o: No such file or directory
    x86_64-pc-linux-musl-clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:9 (project)
* Messages for package sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4:

* ERROR: sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4::gentoo failed (configure phase):
 *   cmake failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  136:  Called src_configure
 *   environment, line 3817:  Called cmake-multilib_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1250:  Called multilib-minimal_src_configure
 *   environment, line 2752:  Called multilib_foreach_abi 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *   environment, line 3002:  Called multibuild_foreach_variant '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *   environment, line 2707:  Called _multibuild_run '_multilib_multibuild_wrapper' 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *   environment, line 2705:  Called _multilib_multibuild_wrapper 'multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure'
 *   environment, line  577:  Called multilib-minimal_abi_src_configure
 *   environment, line 2746:  Called multilib_src_configure
 *   environment, line 3239:  Called cmake_src_configure
 *   environment, line 1520:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       "${CMAKE_BINARY}" "${cmakeargs[@]}" "${CMAKE_USE_DIR}" || die "cmake failed";
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4/work/runtimes_build-abi_x86_64.amd64'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4/work/runtimes'

* Messages for package sys-libs/libcxx-18.1.4:

* emerge --keep-going: sys-libs/libcxx-18.1.4 dropped because it requires
 * ~sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4[static-libs,abi_x86_64(-)]

Here are the USE flags of the related packages that were compiled successfully:

Code:

sys-devel/llvm-18.1.4:18/18.1::gentoo  USE="libedit libffi ncurses zstd -binutils-plugin -debug -debuginfod -doc -exegesis -test -verify-sig -xml -z3"
sys-devel/clang-18.1.4:18/18.1::gentoo  USE="extra (pie) static-analyzer -debug -doc (-ieee-long-double) -test -verify-sig -xml"
sys-devel/lld-18.1.4:18/18.1::gentoo  USE="zstd -debug -test -verify-sig"
sys-devel/llvm-toolchain-symlinks-18:18::gentoo  USE="native-symlinks -multilib-symlinks"
sys-devel/clang-toolchain-symlinks-18:18::gentoo  USE="native-symlinks -gcc-symlinks -multilib-symlinks"
sys-devel/lld-toolchain-symlinks-18:18::gentoo  USE="native-symlinks -multilib-symlinks"

make.conf file: https://codeberg.org/doppl3r/configs/src/branch/main/make.conf

I have refered to the following sources:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Clang
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1084292-start-0.html
https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2022/10/07/clang-in-gentoo-now-sets-default-runtimes-via-config-file/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comments/snswg7/llvm_compilation_struggles/?rdt=59465 (similar error here https://www.reddit.com/r/Gentoo/comments/snswg7/comment/hw5jzm0/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button)

Apologies if I missed anything out. All help is greatly appreciated and I won't hesitate to submit extra details and logs.

Thanks in advace!

Note: This is my latest attempt of various others to install the musl/llvm profile successfully. I come from a 'default' gcc/glibc installation.
myga
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 'make.conf' indicates that you are building that package(s) using 'clang' but the error 'ld.lld: error: cannot open crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory' tells me that the file 'crtbeginS.o' is provided by sys-devel/gcc. Did you install GCC? Also, did you setup 'GCC fallback environment' according to the wiki:

Quote:
"Create a configuration file with a set of environment variables using Portage's built in /etc/portage/env directory. This will override any defaults for any packages that fail to compile with clang."

telestraw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey myga. Thanks for replying.

No, GCC is not provided by the musl/llvm stage3 tarball afaik. I am also sure that I haven't installed GCC yet since I started bootstrapping the LLVM toolchain first thing as stated. Anyway I am redoing the install and I'm not going to give up.

This time I'm experimenting with the '-stdlib' argument for CXXFLAGS. I am going compile GCC first and will use GNU's libstdc++ instead of LLVM's libc++/libcxx (-stdlib=libstdc++) along with the pre-packaged clang-17.0.6 compiler to compile the LLVM toolchain. It's weird to see a GCC component being used to compile sys-libs/libcxxabi-18.1.4...

I will publish my results ASAP. It's a nightmare doing this on a laptop :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: