View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skiwarz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:52 am    Post subject: Poor touchpad precision with libinput Reply with quote

I have two different laptops, both with the same touchpad issue. One has a "Elan Touchpad" and the other a "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" (That info collected from "xinput list"). When I use the libinput driver for X, small mouse movements are very imprecise. Moving the mouse cursor a few pixels, such as when positioning it to select specific characters in a document, is noticeably annoying and sometimes takes a few attempts to get the position just right.
The synaptics driver, on the other hand, is very smooth. The cursor is stable, flows where I want it to accurately, and is overall just precise.
The best example I can give is what I remember from windows xp/vista/7 - in the mouse settings, selecting "Enhance pointer precision" on or off is pretty close to the difference between synaptics and libinput, respectively.

So, I have two questions:
1. Does anyone else notice similar behavior?
2. Is there any way to improve the precision of the libinput driver?

Here's what I have specified in my xorg.conf.d (though the behavior is the same if I don't have anything):
Code:
Section "InputClass"
  Identifier "touchpad catchall"
  Driver "libinput"
  MatchIsTouchpad "on"
  MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
  Option "CalibrationMatrix" "1.25 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1"
  Option "Tapping" "on"
EndSection
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: