Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] How to get a virtual Gentoo on newer Macbooks?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gentlenoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject: [solved] How to get a virtual Gentoo on newer Macbooks? Reply with quote

Dear all,

I got a new Macbook at work with an M3-CPU. Having not paid too much attention, it came as an unpleasant surprise that it's not as easy as on old Intel-Macbooks to run a virtualized Gentoo. Virtualbox, which would have been my 1st choice, doesn't seem to really support the new Mac architecture very well. I could finally boot into the amd64-iso with some old'ish, arcane VB-beta, but it's terribly slow, since only emulated, if I understand correctly. Arm64 support doesn't seem to be available at all.

Any hints, suggestions or success stories - preferably low-cost - on how to get a virtualized Gentoo running on newer Macbooks?

Many thanks,
Ralph

Last edited by Gentlenoob on Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARM64 (AArch64) support is available.
Code:
genmac:~$ neofetch
         -/oyddmdhs+:.                                                                                                                                                                                               
     -odNMMMMMMMMNNmhy+-`             -------------
   -yNMMMMMMMMMMMNNNmmdhy+-           OS: Gentoo Linux aarch64
 `omMMMMMMMMMMMMNmdmmmmddhhy/`        Host: Parallels ARM Virtual Machine 0.1
 omMMMMMMMMMMMNhhyyyohmdddhhhdo`      Kernel: 6.8.9-gentoo
.ydMMMMMMMMMMdhs++so/smdddhhhhdm+`    Uptime: 3 hours, 22 mins
 oyhdmNMMMMMMMNdyooydmddddhhhhyhNd.   Packages: 464 (emerge)
  :oyhhdNNMMMMMMMNNNmmdddhhhhhyymMh   Shell: bash 5.1.16
    .:+sydNMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhhmMmy   Terminal: /dev/pts/0
       /mMMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhmMNhs:   CPU: ARM - (12)
    `oNMMMMMMMNNNmmmddddhhdmMNhs+`    GPU: 00:0a.0 Red Hat, Inc. Virtio 1.0 GPU
  `sNMMMMMMMMNNNmmmdddddmNMmhs/.      Memory: 199MiB / 23891MiB
 /NMMMMMMMMNNNNmmmdddmNMNdso:`
+MMMMMMMNNNNNmmmmdmNMNdso/-                                   
yMMNNNNNNNmmmmmNNMmhs+/-`                                     
/hMMNNNNNNNNMNdhs++/-`
`/ohdmmddhys+++/:.`
  `-//////:--.

I have a 16" MBP with an M3 Max. It is definitely the fastest Gentoo machine I've ever had. Go to the Gentoo downloads page and get the ARM64 Minimal Install CD download and whatever ARM64 stage3 variant you are interested in. I'm using Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition so I can configure lots of CPUs and Memory. Parallels will boot into EFI, so follow the boot installation instructions assuming EFI. The Parallels Host tools will install on the Gentoo VM with a little tweaking. Details are in the Parallels Desktop forums. Put the VirtIO drivers in the kernel you compile and those will be used in the host.

Code:
genmac:~$ lspci
00:01.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
00:02.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:03.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
00:05.0 Ethernet controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio network device
00:09.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Parallels, Inc. Virtual Machine Communication Interface
00:0a.0 VGA compatible controller: Red Hat, Inc. Virtio 1.0 GPU (rev 01)
genmac:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 010: ID 203a:fffc PARALLELS Virtual Mouse
Bus 003 Device 011: ID 203a:fffb PARALLELS Virtual Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 012: ID 203a:fff9 PARALLELS FaceTime HD Camera
Bus 003 Device 013: ID 203a:fff9 PARALLELS iPhone Camera

Check out the Gentoo on ARM forum if you want more information.
Gentlenoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for confirming that Gentoo runs well in Parallels. Pricing starts here around 100 € per year, which I have to admit looks a bit forbidding for my use case of having just an occasional fallback solution for stuff I'm more familiar with under Linux. Will have to think about it some more ...

Cheers, Ralph
Koyan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMWare Fusion is a possibility as well, and it's free for personal use.
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Parallels is kinda expensive. But I don't mind paying for quality software. They have a slick product that works really well. They've been releasing updates almost every month. And if you want to play around with Ubuntu they make it really easy to install with essentially one-click install and you're off and going. Same for Windows if you want to go there.

The other interesting thing is I remember in the past running Linux under x86 VMs. Even if the guest machine was idle there seemed to be quite a bit of CPU load on the host machine. Under Parallels and ARM, there's almost no load on the host when the guest is idle. Seems to be a lot more efficient. I put 12 CPUs in my Gentoo guest which matches up with the number of performance cores on my M3 Max. When Gentoo is cranking doing compiles, only the 12 performance cores are going on the host. The remaining 4 cores are not really utilized. Pretty amazing.
Gentlenoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to follow up, I'm trying out VMware Fusion for personal use now.

The registration process was unusually slow with the passcode arriving only after about 30 min. Trying to boot into Gentoo for the 1st time, it seemed that the default RAM size of the VM was too low. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8824260.html?sid=e23e1b3728c9c9e0588f6f4202c42aae pointed me to the right direction.

So it looks as if I'm now able to sucessfully boot into 'install-arm64-minimal-20240602T232249Z.iso' in reasonable time. Keyboard and touchpad seem to work in console mode. Let's see how far I'll get.

Thanks again,
Ralph
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an M1 Max Macbook Pro with Gentoo vm's in both VMWare and UTM. The VMWare is the better of the two for me. UTM used to and may still have issues accessing certain usb drive products.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: