Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
'Mounting the necessary filesystems' for efi?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeynoodles
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:52 am    Post subject: 'Mounting the necessary filesystems' for efi? Reply with quote

Should the following all be set to /mnt/gentoo/efi/? for UEFI systems?

Code:
root #mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
root #mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev
root #mount --bind /run /mnt/gentoo/run
root #mount --make-slave /mnt/gentoo/run

eg. root #mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
becomes root #mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/efi/proc

then afterwards I am making an /efi directory inside the /mnt/gentoo/efi directory?

I am confused by the start of the handbook a little how it recommends UEFI for a newer machine then seems to default to a few 'legacy' instructions after that.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not need to do that.
You are referring to 3 sections in the Gentoo installation handbook. Work through them in order. "Mounting the necessary filesystems" first, then "Entering the new environment" (chrooting) section second, followed by " Preparing for a bootloader" afterwards. The last section is where the reference to EFI is first mentioned. When you get to that point, you will likely use UEFI unless you are working with a very old machine.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Mounting_the_necessary_filesystems

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Entering_the_new_environment

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Preparing_for_a_bootloader
All 3 links above are from the same page, but are 3 sections in sequential order. Process them in order, one at a time.

If you are working with a Gentoo installation, you do not have to type out all of the commands to mount the necessary filesystems.
Code:
Tip
If using Gentoo's install media, this step can be replaced with simply: arch-chroot /mnt/gentoo.

If you do type everything out, do not add EFI to the paths in the handbook. Do exactly what the handbook says for the most part. The filesystems that you are mounting in this step you will need when you chroot into the new environment (which is where you will be installing Gentoo. )

After you chroot (change root) you will then be working in the new environment. Any changes you make, such as creating the EFI directory will be done in the new installation.

Again, read the installation handbook carefully, it is divided into sections, pay close attention the the Headings for each section to understand how it is divided up, work through one section at a time before proceeding to the next section/heading, do not embellish or add things to commands unless you know what you are doing.

If you have questions, stop and ask for help at that specific step.
monkeynoodles
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the detailed reply. It is a lot to take in (the handbook) but I am making progress.

Something else I am having trouble wrapping my head around are the "FILE" text boxes scattered throughout the handbook. The handbook is telling me to essentially just make text files for code to be referenced from right? I just write the code in and save them as directed? Some of them say these are USE flags. I thought they were specified in the make.conf for global flags or elsewhere for certain packages. I understand how noob I am sounding here.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have a question about a practice, please link to an example of the practice you want explained, so that we can be sure to focus on your actual problem.

In this case, your explanation seems correct to me. Yes, some settings go in make.conf, but others go in /etc/portage/package.*.
monkeynoodles
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for not being clear. I am attempting another install and it looks like I do need to add /efi to the end of the paths for mounting the necessary filesystems. This all makes sense to me now but previously I just wanted to install and try gentoo without understanding all this. arch-chroot /mnt/gentoo or even arch-chroot /mnt/gentoo/efidoesn't seem to work for an EFI install.

So every time the /mnt/gentoo directory is mentioned prior to changing root it looks like it needs to be /mnt/gentoo/efi instead.

https://ibb.co/6XtZRwB
https://ibb.co/G7bHDjM

These are the only 2 places I can see mentioned that the mount location for install should be /mnt/gentoo/efi
Maybe I'm just being silly but just thought I'd share what a noob thinks about this part of the amd64 handbook.

The Gentoo team may not care a whole lot about adoption but if that's a goal a simplified handbook would go a long way. Like there are a lot of steps that can be skipped.. validating packages (largely a power user step) and removing the profile select section is a start (provided you have the tar file you want). Also just having a handbook without the "optional" sections would be great. This is still just a noobs thoughts on the handbook so take it with a grain of salt. I understand installing Gentoo isn't exactly a task for noobs.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 'Mounting the necessary filesystems' for efi? Reply with quote

monkeynoodles wrote:

Code:
root #mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
root #mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
root #mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
root #mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev
root #mount --bind /run /mnt/gentoo/run
root #mount --make-slave /mnt/gentoo/run

Those are the filesystems you need to mount to get the chrooted OS to work properly, like running emerge, that kind of stuff.

monkeynoodles wrote:
Should the following all be set to /mnt/gentoo/efi/? for UEFI systems?

eg. root #mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
becomes root #mount --types proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/efi/proc

then afterwards I am making an /efi directory inside the /mnt/gentoo/efi directory?

That's wrong. Not that you don't have to do it now, it's plane wrong.

monkeynoodles wrote:
I am confused by the start of the handbook a little how it recommends UEFI for a newer machine then seems to default to a few 'legacy' instructions after that.

I don't know what instructions you refer to but given the above, this comes out as incorrect too. Your confusion seems to stem from not understanding what EFI is and how an EFI system boots. A good place to dispel your confusion might be https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI

Stick to what the handbook suggests, step by step. There's time and place to mount the efi partition and how to do it.

As suggested above, link to the particular sections you find confusing and what exactly you find confusing. We don't know the handbook by heart.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: