Different configurations of same kernel version
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 6:40 am    Post subject: Different configurations of same kernel version Reply with quote

I use sys-kernel/gentoo-sources with custom configurations. In the past, I have been using rEFInd as my boot manager and have been installing my kernels completely manually. This means I only made the bzImage and modules, but moved things into the correct final directories. Now, I uninstalled rEFInd, switched to systemd-boot and I finally got things semi-automated with installkernel, dracut and systemd-boot. I use unified kernels and EFI boot.

How do I allow different configurations (i.e. different settings in the kernel configuration and different dracut settings) of the same kernel version?

For example, in the past, when I wanted to try something but wasn't sure if it would break the boot process, I simply created different EFI images in /boot/EFI/Gentoo/ for the same kernel version by appending a suffix after the version identifier like "bzImage-6.6.30-gentoo-stable.efi", "bzImage-6.6.30-gentoo-something.efi", etc., and rEFInd offered me different boot options.

Now, when I run "make install" within the kernel source directory, I automatically get "/boot/EFI/Linux/<some-id>-6.6.30-gentoo.efi" and a kernel of the same version overwrites the existing version.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set CONFIG_LOCALVERSION in your testing config. The rest should be taken care of automatically. This way you get separate /lib/modules directory and and if I'm not missing something, in you previous way you could mess with the modules of your stable kernel.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: