Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to find obsolete USE flags efficiently?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: How to find obsolete USE flags efficiently? Reply with quote

I am a long time Gentoo user who approximately made his initial choice of use flags 10 years ago. Since then some use flags have been removed (e.g. "qt4") from the ebuild system, new ones have been introduced (e.g. "qt6") as old features became obsolete and new features were added. Those obsolete use flags appear as "unknown" in ufed. From time to time when I stumble across such a use flag, I remove it manually from make.conf.

Is there an efficient way to identify those use flags which are set (or explicitly unset) in ./make.conf and ./package.use/ but have become obsolete and lost there purpose?

I mean another way than scrolling through ufed and try to spot "unknown" entries?
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find obsolete USE flags efficiently? Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
I am a long time Gentoo user who approximately made his initial choice of use flags 10 years ago. Since then some use flags have been removed (e.g. "qt4") from the ebuild system, new ones have been introduced (e.g. "qt6") as old features became obsolete and new features were added. Those obsolete use flags appear as "unknown" in ufed. From time to time when I stumble across such a use flag, I remove it manually from make.conf.

Is there an efficient way to identify those use flags which are set (or explicitly unset) in ./make.conf and ./package.use/ but have become obsolete and lost there purpose?

I mean another way than scrolling through ufed and try to spot "unknown" entries?

In make.conf it's relatively easy - just comment the line and trigger a full world update. You'll see changes and compare with the USE line in make.conf. Similar approach can be used with package.use. Just rename it and trigger full world update, see what you like and what you don't. I hope somebody else will come with an easier way. I also recall reading a similar thread before, but wish me good luck finding it...

Best Regards,
Georgi
sdauth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find obsolete USE flags efficiently? Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
I also recall reading a similar thread before, but wish me good luck finding it...

This one I think : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-897206-start-0.html
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

app-portage/portpeek should be your friend maintaining /etc/portage.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: