Custom binary packages?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Custom binary packages? Reply with quote

Hi all

Sorry, me again :)

I've just gotten through installing Firefox from source, because (I guess) the binary package didn't match my USE configuration (specifically, I'm avoiding pulseaudio, systemd, and a bunch of other stuff).

The build took about 2.5 hours on my everyday business workstation, which is a reasonable powerful thing.

I'm wondering how long this process would take on the older, under-resourced computers I would also like to run Linux on. I'm not even sure they would have enough RAM for the job, however patient I was. I know there's sufficient resources to run the stuff I want to run, because I've tried with binaries from another distro. But building from source? Um...

So I'm wondering -- is it possible to create a custom binary package for use with Gentoo? For Fedora/Ununtu/etc., I can just create the appropriate rpm/deb file, whose format is well documented. I could build Firefox (etc) on a decent system, using the most generic, lowest-common-denominator compiler settings, package it up, and copy it to the target system.

But, given Gentoo's emphasis on building from source, is this even possible? If it's possible, is it practical?

It's not the end of the world, one way or the other -- at a pinch I could just rsync the binaries from one machine to the other. But that would leave a kind of 'invisible package' on the target, and that feels untidy.

More broadly -- if I had just temporarily fiddled with USE flags to get the binary build of firefox (with all its support for pulse, pipewire,etc) would it actually have worked on a system that lacked all these things? With hindsight, I guess I should probably have tried, before spending the whole day building it from source. But I'm rambling again.

BR, Lars.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom binary packages? Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
The build took about 2.5 hours on my everyday business workstation, which is a reasonable powerful thing.

I'm wondering how long this process would take on the older, under-resourced computers I would also like to run Linux on. I'm not even sure they would have enough RAM for the job, however patient I was.
As a reference point, I recently compiled firefox-115.10.0 in about 4.5hrs (start/end times 20:52:18 :: 01:16:45). The system is an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, I think with 8GB of RAM. There are some people who have compiled packages (I don't recall which) that take a day or more. You could try searching in the Gentoo on ARM section for lower powered systems and their limitations.

lars_the_bear wrote:
So I'm wondering -- is it possible to create a custom binary package for use with Gentoo? For Fedora/Ununtu/etc., I can just create the appropriate rpm/deb file, whose format is well documented. I could build Firefox (etc) on a decent system, using the most generic, lowest-common-denominator compiler settings, package it up, and copy it to the target system.

But, given Gentoo's emphasis on building from source, is this even possible? If it's possible, is it practical?
My previously mentioned firefox is compiled on the AMD system and installed on an Intel laptop.

The Binary package guide is the mechanism you're looking for. It can seem a bit complicated, but there are a lot of variable factors that influence how to do it. The VERY shortened version: Create the binary package appropriate for the client profile / hardware. Provide the binary package to the client (http, nfs, ssh, ?).

lars_the_bear wrote:
More broadly -- if I had just temporarily fiddled with USE flags to get the binary build of firefox (with all its support for pulse, pipewire,etc) would it actually have worked on a system that lacked all these things?
It's unlikely. And if it did work, there might be some "unstable" behavior. But you can always try ;)
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most likely outcome of aligning your USE flags to the ones from Firefox are that it would insist on installing the supporting packages needed to make those flags work.

In the case of Firefox, if you don't want to build it, you could use firefox-bin. Is there a reason you want to avoid that, and also avoid compiling locally?
lars_the_bear
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom binary packages? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
As a reference point, I recently compiled firefox-115.10.0 in about 4.5hrs (start/end times 20:52:18 :: 01:16:45). The system is an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, I think with 8GB of RAM. There are some people who have compiled packages (I don't recall which) that take a day or more. You could try searching in the Gentoo on ARM section for lower powered systems and their limitations.

Thanks. I have ARM boards in my cross-hairs as well, for different reasons.

To be honest, I don't care if it takes a whole day to compile, so long as it actually succeeds. It's not as if I've got to sit there and watch it. My worry is that my first three attempts to compile Firefox failed, for reasons that I don't fully understand. Maybe when I become more familiar with Gentoo, I will have fewer failed builds.

BR, Lars.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
qlop -mtv firefox
2024-02-24T01:24:38 >>> www-client/firefox-115.8.0: 1:55:33
2024-03-23T04:19:30 >>> www-client/firefox-115.9.0: 2:00:47
2024-03-25T07:46:53 >>> www-client/firefox-115.9.1: 2:00:34
2024-04-17T06:12:41 >>> www-client/firefox-115.10.0: 2:03:27
2024-06-02T03:29:18 >>> www-client/firefox-115.11.0: 1:51:02

8GB Pi 5 using an nvme drive.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
Code:

Hah! Less than 1/2 the time as mine. Someday I'll upgrade.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
flysideways wrote:
Code:

Hah! Less than 1/2 the time as mine. Someday I'll upgrade.

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: