Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to use Kuroo? (It does not even update the package list)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: How to use Kuroo? (It does not even update the package list) Reply with quote

How am I suppose to use Kuroo?

The question might sound silly, but after having emerged Kuroo I was not even able to get it running.

When I start Kuroo as a normal user, KDE (ksu) asks me for the root password as Kuroo wants to make a backup of some portage-related file to /var/cache/kuroo/backup. After I have entered the root password, another message dialog appears that Kuroo was not able to create the backup directory and Kuroo terminates. Great!

When I start Kuroo as root, Kuroo first presents me a warning that it is not necessary to start Kuroo as root, because Kuroo support ksu/kdesu. (Yes, well, that's what I tried in the first place.) After confirming that dialog, Kuroo is able to create the backup and I am presented with the main window. However, the package list is ridiculously outdated and includes packages which have long been gone from the official ebuild tree. (It even includes QT4 and KDE 4 packages). When I select such a package, Kuroo warns me that there is no ebuild for that package and Kuroo offers me to update its cache. So it seems that Kuroo does not work with the actual ebuild tree in /var/db/repos/gentoo/ directly, but comes with its own cache. Interestingly though that this cache seems to be populated with a decade old ebuild tree right after a fresh installation. When I trigger Kuroo to update its cache, Kuroo does "something", i.e. there is noticeable disk activity, but after a couple of minutes when Kuroo informs me that the cache has been updated, I still see the same outdated list of ebuilds and I am back to square one.

Yes, I understand that Kuroo is marked as "~amd64" and hence is considered to be in testing state. So I expect some issue here and there and maybe even a crash. But this has nothing to do with being unstable. This is unusable. As this is so obviously dysfunctional, I still believe that there must be something wrong with my installation.
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I found the issue: https://sourceforge.net/p/kuroo/bugs/64/

Kuroo relies on deprecated variables to be set in make.conf. So it is actually not a frontend to emerge (and equery), but Kuroo tries to parse make.conf and the ebuild repository itself. However, Kuroo did not stay astride with Portage development.

At the current state, Kuroo is not usable at all and should probably removed from the Gentoo Wiki at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage#Alternate_package_managers_and_GUIs.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I ever used kuroo for was "package discovery", when it died I wrote this, but I'm literally half way through the python 3.12 upgrade so have no idea if it still works, feel free to try though (it works/worked on 3.11). It needs pyQt and eix installed.
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only thing I ever used kuroo for was "package discovery", when it died I wrote this,
Unfortunately, I am looking for a graphical tools which actually informs the user about available upgrades and allows to install those upgrades. I have set up a build server which creates binary packages for four clients. One of those clients is my father's laptop. The build environment is an exaxt replica and chroot environment of the actual installation so that I can test things first.

All clients (including my father's laptop) pull the Portage tree from the build server after the binary packages have been prepared. This way I ensure that the clients always only upgrade prepared binary packages.

As my father is not familiar with the CLI and as he has no sudo rights, I am looking for a simple graphical tool which informs him about available upgrades and on-going, running upgrades such that he does not accidentally powers off the laptop in the middle of an upgrade.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
As my father is not familiar with the CLI and as he has no sudo rights, I am looking for a simple graphical tool which informs him about available upgrades and on-going, running upgrades such that he does not accidentally powers off the laptop in the middle of an upgrade.

I perform similar "binhost" functions for my laptop. Once this current "upgrade" is complete, I'll look at adding a "binhost only" upgrade tab to the original (private) project this particular "package search" tab was pulled from. If it works without too many caveats/problems I'll isolate it (as a single program, not a tab within a larger one) and we can go from there.

So, do you have a "curated" portage tree offered to the 4 clients? Or *you* only merge programs you know are precompiled on the binhost?
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagmat84 wrote:
Unfortunately, I am looking for a graphical tools which actually informs the user about available upgrades and allows to install those upgrades. I have set up a build server which creates binary packages for four clients. One of those clients is my father's laptop. The build environment is an exaxt replica and chroot environment of the actual installation so that I can test things first.

All clients (including my father's laptop) pull the Portage tree from the build server after the binary packages have been prepared. This way I ensure that the clients always only upgrade prepared binary packages.

With KDE it's fairly easy to write a plasmoid that polls a file and displays a status, then just make the thing that does the pull also do the emerge and write a status file as it goes. The status file needs to be readable by user. I've done something similar that checks whether background backups have completed successfully or not - the plasmoid 'icon' goes red (fail) or green (ok).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: