kscreenlocker_greet and the contents of /etc/pam.d/kde
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netsplit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:05 am    Post subject: kscreenlocker_greet and the contents of /etc/pam.d/kde Reply with quote

The issue: kscreenlocker would just reject any input.

I was getting logs like:

Code:

kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: starting authenticators
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: state changing from PamAuthenticators::Idle to PamAuthenticators::Authenticating
kscreenlocker_greet: [PAM worker kde-smartcard] Authenticate: Starting authentication
kscreenlocker_greet: [PAM worker kde] Authenticate: Starting authentication
kscreenlocker_greet: [PAM worker kde-fingerprint] Authenticate: Starting authentication
kscreenlocker_greet: [PAM worker kde] Authenticate: Authentication done, result code: 7 (Authentication failure)
kscreenlocker_greet: [PAM worker kde-smartcard] Authenticate: Authentication done, result code: 28 (Module is unknown)
kscreenlocker_greet: [PAM worker kde-fingerprint] Authenticate: Authentication done, result code: 28 (Module is unknown)
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: Availability changed for non-interactive authenticator kde-smartcard true
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: Availability changed for non-interactive authenticator kde-fingerprint true
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: Failure from interactive authenticator kde
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: state changing from PamAuthenticators::Authenticating to PamAuthenticators::Idle
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: Availability changed for non-interactive authenticator kde-smartcard false
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: Availability changed for non-interactive authenticator kde-smartcard false
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: Availability changed for non-interactive authenticator kde-fingerprint false
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: Availability changed for non-interactive authenticator kde-fingerprint false
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: state changing from PamAuthenticators::Idle to PamAuthenticators::Authenticating
kscreenlocker_greet: [PAM worker kde] Authenticate: Authentication done, result code: 7 (Authentication failure)
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: Failure from interactive authenticator kde
kscreenlocker_greet: PamAuthenticators: state changing from PamAuthenticators::Authenticating to PamAuthenticators::Idle

Eventually I discovered it was probably using /etc/pam.d/kde which was somehow was empty. This happened after I did updates so might have messed up one of the config merges.

Not sure what's supposed to be in there, and here's my question. I tried coping the contents of various /etc/pam.d/ files into the kde one to recreate it. Coping the contents of /etc/pam.d/system-local-login into the kde file seems to have gotten the lock screen working as it should with password authentication.

The contents copied into the kde file are:
Code:

auth            include         system-login
account         include         system-login
password        include         system-login
session         include         system-login

I just want to double check that's what it's supposed to be?
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
#%PAM-1.0

auth       required     pam_nologin.so

auth       include      system-local-login

account    include      system-local-login

password   include      system-local-login

session    include      system-local-login

Code:
# equery belongs  /etc/pam.d/kde
 * Searching for /etc/pam.d/kde ...
kde-plasma/kscreenlocker-5.27.11 (/etc/pam.d/kde)

Maybe I am wrong but in the future I think you could just move or delete that file and install the program that it belongs to in order to get the default config back.
netsplit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab0171610 wrote:

Maybe I am wrong but in the future I think you could just move or delete that file and install the program that it belongs to in order to get the default config back.

Thanks! I just tried (backing up) then removing the file and re-emerging kscreenlocker and it regenerated the file. I'll remember that in the future.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: